Slippery Slope SUPPLEMENTS

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“When synthetic amino acids are used to supplement natural proteins, they are usually chosen according to irrelevant models of the “ideal protein's” composition, and many toxic contaminants are invariably present in the synthetic free amino acids.

For the present, the important thing is to avoid the use of the least appropriate food products, while choosing natural foods that have historical, epidemiological, and biochemical justification.” -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Magnesium and calcium

When these minerals are taken at the same time, they may not be quite as effective, says Tod Cooperman, MD, president of consumerlab.com, an independent testing company focused on health and nutrition products in White Plains, New York. “Taking large amounts of minerals with other minerals will reduce absorption,” he says. In essence, the minerals compete with one another and both lose out. Maximize your benefits by taking any mineral supplements at least two hours apart.“

Rinse & rePeat:

“I recently read that having calcium with magnesium at the same time cancels each other out. Is it unwise, because I just had some chocolate with milk and it seemed like a good pairing.”

RAY PEAT:

“They don’t cancel each other.”

Vileplume

I hate to think about all the money I’d have in my bank account if I never bought a single supplement. Long-term, the only supplement I’ve ever stuck with longer than a few months is cynoplus.

My supplement graveyard has hundreds of 3/4-full bottles: capsules, powders, dessicated this and that, vitamins, minerals, fibers, “brain boosters!”. These things are expensive.

I’ve probably wasted $4000+ on supplements. Ouch.

The supplement industry promises you the moon and rarely delivers.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I hate to think about all the money I’d have in my bank account if I never bought a single supplement. Long-term, the only supplement I’ve ever stuck with longer than a few months is cynoplus.

My supplement graveyard has hundreds of 3/4-full bottles: capsules, powders, dessicated this and that, vitamins, minerals, fibers, “brain boosters!”. These things are expensive.

I’ve probably wasted $4000+ on supplements. Ouch.

The supplement industry promises you the moon and rarely delivers.
Oh man I wish you hadn’t put a figure on that hecause I have spent ten times that in my lifetime. I am glad to be done with them all, and not need the thought of them. I think some can be good for an illness, but only short term. I think that is the way nature intended them to be. I mean it think about the food chain and how the vegetables are in only for a season. We aren’t suppose to eat asparagus or artichokes everyday either or that would become problematic too.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Here’s the nutritional breakdown for 1 orange (140 grams):

Calories: 66
Water: 86% by weight
Protein: 1.3 grams
Carbs: 14.8 grams
Sugar: 12 grams
Fiber: 2.8 grams
Fat: 0.2 grams
Vitamin C: 92% of the Daily Value (DV)
Folate: 9% of the DV
Calcium: 5% of the DV
Potassium: 5% of the DV

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“When the environment is too stressful, or when nutrition isn't adequate, the organism may be unable to mobilize the opposing and complementary substances to stop their actions. In those situations, it can be therapeutic to use some of the nutrients as supplements. Calcium carbonate (eggshell or oyster shell, for example) and vitamins D and K, can sometimes produce quick antistress effects, alleviating insomnia, hypertension, edema, inflammations and allergies, etc., but the regular use of milk and cheese can prevent many chronic stress-related diseases.” -Ray Peat

Last edited:
OP
Rinse & rePeat
Mauritio posted this today elsewhere…

Q: Hello Mr. Peat,
I've been having digestive problems with oysters .
Do you think oyster extract/ powder is an okay replacement, if one can't stomach cooked oysters?

A:
No, dehydration produces some toxic materials.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“In a 2013 study, 62 older adults took a 50,000-IU vitamin D3 supplement once a month for 3 months. The participants were divided into three meal groups — no meal, high fat meal, and low fat meal.

At the end of the study, researchers found that the folks who took vitamin D3 supplements with a low fat meal had better absorption.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Eating a lot of oily fish or taking potent fish oil supplements may increase a man's risk of developing prostate cancer, new research suggests.

Moreover, marine sources of omega-3 fatty acids may also raise the risk for aggressive prostate cancer, according to the study by scientists at the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center in Seattle.

"These anti-inflammatory omega-3s were associated with a 43 percent increased risk for prostate cancer overall, and a 71 percent increased risk in aggressive prostate cancer," said study lead author Theodore Brasky, a research assistant professor at Ohio State University Comprehensive Cancer Center in Columbus, who was at Hutchinson at the time of the study.

Aggressive prostate cancer is often fatal, he added.

Omega-3 fatty acids, found in fish such as salmon, trout and fresh tuna and in fish oil capsules, are widely reputed to have health benefits because of their anti-inflammatory properties.“

OP
Rinse & rePeat
As nice and natural as they sound, essential oils on my skin are a supplement I have stayed clear of…

“Lavender oil and tea tree oil contain compounds that mimic or oppose the actions of sex hormones and may be considered endocrine disruptors. Persistent exposure to lavender products is associated with premature breast development in girls, according to new research by NIEHS scientists.”

Here is an opposing view?

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Yes the mint issue has come up before on this forum. I use to put the extract in a lot of my desserts prior to first hearing about this issue.. I'm pretty sure Ray said most herbs that are leaves will raise estrogen. Roots seem to be the better choice due to the estrogen issue. I avoid mint, but I often have orange/lemon oil wafting around my house.
Lavender will definitely increase estrogen. they often tell parents not to use in high quantities with babies. I'm not sure if the therapeutic properties of the these herbs out-way the estrogen aspects.
I have tea tree in my first aid kit and tend to use it only when I have a rash or insect bite. if you're using every day then it will probably have a estrogen impact.”

FrostedShores

“Yes the mint issue has come up before on this forum. I use to put the extract in a lot of my desserts prior to first hearing about this issue.. I'm pretty sure Ray said most herbs that are leaves will raise estrogen. Roots seem to be the better choice due to the estrogen issue. I avoid mint, but I often have orange/lemon oil wafting around my house.
Lavender will definitely increase estrogen. they often tell parents not to use in high quantities with babies. I'm not sure if the therapeutic properties of the these herbs out-way the estrogen aspects.
I have tea tree in my first aid kit and tend to use it only when I have a rash or insect bite. if you're using every day then it will probably have a estrogen impact.”

I've been avoiding lavender, tea tree, and mint oils since I discovered they are estrogenic. Does anyone know which essential oils are safe to use? I have a lot and don't want to just throw all of them away...

Also, in regards to supplements, I've wasted so much money on useless junk. My savings account would be a lot better off if I had avoided supplements; my health would probably be better off, as well. Cronometer has really helped me in this regard - tracking my food and nutrients has helped me realize I don't actually need most supplements. Currently in the process of reducing the number of supplements I take to just the bare minimum.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I've been avoiding lavender, tea tree, and mint oils since I discovered they are estrogenic. Does anyone know which essential oils are safe to use? I have a lot and don't want to just throw all of them away...

Also, in regards to supplements, I've wasted so much money on useless junk. My savings account would be a lot better off if I had avoided supplements; my health would probably be better off, as well. Cronometer has really helped me in this regard - tracking my food and nutrients has helped me realize I don't actually need most supplements. Currently in the process of reducing the number of supplements I take to just the bare minimum.

I have read peppermint oil is good for keeping bugs and rodents away. I imagine the lemon, orange and tea tree ones might do some of the same. You are suppose to dilute them and put them in a sprayer. It might be nice using them indoor for ants, spiders and other creepy crawlies. Better to smell essential oils than bug spray.

FrostedShores

I have read peppermint oil is good for keeping bugs and rodents away. I imagine the lemon, orange and tea tree ones might do some of the same. You are suppose to dilute them and put them in a sprayer. It might be nice using them indoor for ants, spiders and other creepy crawlies. Better to smell essential oils than bug spray.
I have a diffuser that I enjoy using. Helps freshen the air without the use of chemicals. My favorite is lemongrass, and I haven't heard anything bad about that one.

That's interesting about keeping bugs and rodents away. Do you know if peppermint works for spiders? We get a lot of them.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I have a diffuser that I enjoy using. Helps freshen the air without the use of chemicals. My favorite is lemongrass, and I haven't heard anything bad about that one.

That's interesting about keeping bugs and rodents away. Do you know if peppermint works for spiders? We get a lot of them.
Yes peppermint oil is good to repel ground squirrels and other rodents too!

“To make a spider-repellent spray, place about five drops of peppermint oil in a 16-ounce spray bottle. Fill the bottle with water, add a shot of dish soap, and shake the mixture well. Apply the spray around doors and windows, around the outside perimeter of your home, and in any dark corner where spiders may be hiding.”

Peater

Rinse & rePeat:

“I recently read that having calcium with magnesium at the same time cancels each other out. Is it unwise, because I just had some chocolate with milk and it seemed like a good pairing.”

RAY PEAT:

“They don’t cancel each other.”
That's good, i heard the same thing that they opposed each other.

FrostedShores

Yes peppermint oil is good to repel ground squirrels and other rodents too!

“To make a spider-repellent spray, place about five drops of peppermint oil in a 16-ounce spray bottle. Fill the bottle with water, add a shot of dish soap, and shake the mixture well. Apply the spray around doors and windows, around the outside perimeter of your home, and in any dark corner where spiders may be hiding.”

Awesome! Thank you for this. I'm going to give it a try and see how it works.

I get squirrels in my garden, so I'm going to spray some around there, too!

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Harvard Health provides an overview of studies linking high doses of vitamin supplements to a number of health problems.

The health body prefaces its assessment by saying: "Most supplements are safe to take, but there are exceptions."

It says:

High doses of beta carotene have been linked to a greater risk of lung cancer in smokers

Extra calcium and vitamin D may increase the risk of kidney stones

High doses of vitamin E may lead to stroke caused by bleeding in the brain

Vitamin K can interfere with the anti-clotting effects of blood thinners

Taking high amounts of vitamin B6 for a year or longer has been associated with nerve damage that can impair body movements (the symptoms often go away after the supplements are stopped).”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I found an easy and natural source of vitamin D, clam juice! 1 tablespoon is 15% of your daily needs!

Attachments

• 6D268D7B-D023-4FA1-9A5B-45A0AEEAF0B4.jpeg
    6D268D7B-D023-4FA1-9A5B-45A0AEEAF0B4.jpeg
    412.8 KB · Views: 13
  • AA68A576-E4C5-4449-BF38-1F4E8406A484.jpeg
    AA68A576-E4C5-4449-BF38-1F4E8406A484.jpeg
    865.5 KB · Views: 12
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals