Serotonin could be natures way of telling you "don't eat that again."

Peat mentions how serotonin is released into the bloodstream from the intestine by anything that rubs against, or scratches and pulls the inner lining of the tubes. I think this is nature/evolution's way of telling you "See how hard that was to digest? I can't even digest it. Here, here's some serotonin to make you feel like crap. I hope you don't eat this again. Focus on soft, easy to digest foods, please."

NathanK

Then you have slow killing toxins like PUFA that take decades to manifest evil symptoms.

DaveFoster

A good point; as for PUFA, natural sources include olives (poisonous), nuts (toxic and hard to digest), avocados (relatively bland to the human palette), pigs and chickens (diseased and forbidden by many cultures, [such as Kosher law]), fatty fish (eaten by the Inuits along with the thyroid gland to compensate for reduced metabolic activity), and corn oil... wait a second.

A good rule of thumb: If it tastes good raw by itself, then it's good to eat.

NathanK

Berries with PUFA seeds taste delicious. Bacon tastes terrible raw, but then again so does grass fed liver

DaveFoster

NathanK said:
post 113826 Berries with PUFA seeds taste delicious. Bacon tastes terrible raw, but then again so does grass fed liver
Grass-fed liver has got a LOT of iron. I don't know if it's pleasant to chew the seeds in berries, seeing as they're bitter. I usually spit them out.

Last edited by a moderator:
T

tobieagle

NathanK said:
post 113826 Berries with PUFA seeds taste delicious. Bacon tastes terrible raw, but then again so does grass fed liver

Fresh liver of a healthy mammal should taste a bit sweet.
I never had the chance to get it though, so no first hand experience.
I only get the half rotten, slimey supermarket stuff.

Berries with PUFA seeds?
Come on, that is going too far imo.
I think depending on the type of berry, they pass through the GI tract without interference.
That would be logical from an evolutionary standpoint too.
After all, they are fruits.

DaveFoster said:
post 113821 A good point; as for PUFA, natural sources include olives (poisonous), nuts (toxic and hard to digest), avocados (relatively bland to the human palette), pigs and chickens (diseased and forbidden by many cultures, [such as Kosher law]), fatty fish (eaten by the Inuits along with the thyroid gland to compensate for reduced metabolic activity), and corn oil... wait a second.

Agree with these ones.
Some additional notes to nuts.
They really taste like crap when they are fresh. You have to dry them to make them somewhat palatable.
Ever tried to eat a fresh walnut? They taste like death, bitter and toxic.

As for the general message of this thread, which is "our organism is intelligent".
Yes it is!

sladerunner69

DaveFoster said:
post 113821 A good point; as for PUFA, natural sources include olives (poisonous), nuts (toxic and hard to digest), avocados (relatively bland to the human palette), pigs and chickens (diseased and forbidden by many cultures, [such as Kosher law]), fatty fish (eaten by the Inuits along with the thyroid gland to compensate for reduced metabolic activity), and corn oil... wait a second.

I would hardly classify olive oil, pigs&chickens, avocados or even nuts as "poisonous", assuming they were raised and harvested appropriately. PUFA isn't metabolically friendly, and yes poisonous- in high doses. The body, specifically the liver and the bloodstream, is more than capable of processing small to moderate amounts of polyunsaturated fats effectively, granted metabolism and nutrients are a factor in that ability. Dr Peat recommends a ceiling of 5g a day, for instance, and I don't think one would see much of a difference between consuming 1g and 10g of pufa daily, assuming vitamin E and glycine are supplemented along with adequate glucose consumption.

Personally when I consume Mono-unsaturated foods like olives or guacomole, I feel relaxed and pleasant, everything seems to slow down a bit and I find it much easier to calm my body and mind. I have a thought that perhaps the human mind and perception is normalized around consumption of a small amount of unsaturated fats. When going fat free I get so lit up and cranked, like I have an endless abundance of energy that i can not possibly hope to burn through, it actually makes social interaction with others a bit difficult as people often comment how much energy I have and ask what I'm on. Again, jsut personal experience but maybe because I am young and my metabolism is still strong, strictly excising pufas from my diet is kind of overkill.

DaveFoster

sladerunner69 said:
When going fat free I get so lit up and cranked, like I have an endless abundance of energy that i can not possibly hope to burn through, it actually makes social interaction with others a bit difficult as people often comment how much energy I have and ask what I'm on.
Definitely noticed this; it seems like an uptick in cortisol levels. There is some evidence of a correlation here.

sladerunner69

Now that's interesting.. I had assumed the extra gas was metabolism uptick but stress hormones-no bueno no bueno oh my!

jyb

Westside PUFAs said:
post 113811 Peat mentions how serotonin is released into the bloodstream from the intestine by anything that rubs against, or scratches and pulls the inner lining of the tubes. I think this is nature/evolution's way of telling you "See how hard that was to digest? I can't even digest it. Here, here's some serotonin to make you feel like crap. I hope you don't eat this again. Focus on soft, easy to digest foods, please."

I think that's actually well known. Puking is preceded by a short burst of serotonin, I suppose that part of the trigger to release everything. Hence the popular hospital drugs such as ondansetron. Vice versa, when gut serotonin activity gets too low (common side effect of ondansetron), the bowel stops moving completely and everything is stuck.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals