Salt Reaction ,good Or Bad?

I hope someone can enlighten me regarding this reaction. This morning I was making salt capsules for my daughter and I took 2 (500mg in each) with mouthful of water,almost straight away I felt weird ,nauseous, almost like beginning of panic attack My heart was pounding fast and hard ,I had a glass of water and after about 5 minutes was back to normal, any ideas as to what's happening ??

Sounds like stomach irritation to me. If you took it on an empty stomach, it's no surprise that drinking water would help.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I let the salt dissolve completely in my mouth before swallowing. I've vomited from not letting it dissolve fully.:arghh:

Doesn't rapid serotonin elevation cause most of those symptoms? Stomach irritation can do that. I've had the same symptoms from chasing salt down. If it isn't dissolved first, you can expect some disturbances.

I would imagine so. Salt burns my stomach if it isn't dissolved or mixed with food. It feels like it kind of settles at the bottom and irritates the lining while it slowly dissolves. Jumping up and down or shaking side to side would help. Capsules are probably fine if you take them with a adequate amount of liquid and even better with a meal. My niece loves salt. One time she licked so much off her fingers she started to have the same problems. I knew to give her a glass of water right away and she was fine.

Last edited:
I hope someone can enlighten me regarding this reaction. This morning I was making salt capsules for my daughter and I took 2 (500mg in each) with mouthful of water,almost straight away I felt weird ,nauseous, almost like beginning of panic attack My heart was pounding fast and hard ,I had a glass of water and after about 5 minutes was back to normal, any ideas as to what's happening ??
I did the same thing the other night before bed - I had some salt ( undissolved) and then just a small glass of water. I woke up shortly afterwards heart pounding and feelings of fear and dread. ( panic attack?) It was the worst feeling and I thought perhaps it was some renal thing as someone had told me kidney issues cause fearful feelings. I slept well last night! I'm not sure if it was Lysine but for the first time I woke up without a profound sadness /anxiety. Also I had some cream with sugar as a snack. My grandmother used to give me this. She was born in the late 1800's so perhaps she knew best! Anyway thanks for the Lysine tip ( from another thread)

BibleBeliever

It is important to make sure you have enough potassium in correlation to the salt you consume. Too much salt without enough potassium appears to be harmful and vice versa.

YuraCZ

Taking salt in capsules? Doesn't make any sense. It's a great recipe for stomach cancer or something like that.

Ulla

Ray Peat
Salt, energy, metabolic rate, and longevity

When small animals were given a milliliter of a saturated salt solution with the carcinogen, the number of tumors was increased with the salt. However, when the salt was given with mucin, it had no cancer promoting effect. Since the large amount of a saturated salt solution breaks down the stomach’s protective mucus coating, the stomach cells were not protected from the carcinogen. Rather than showing that salt causes stomach cancer, the experiments showed that a cup or more of saturated salt solution, or several ounces of pure salt, shouldn’t be ingested at the same time as a strong carcinogen.

I also wouldn't go for salt in capsules. I would avoid consuming pure salt.

YuraCZ

"I also wouldn't go for salt in capsules. I would avoid consuming pure salt."
What you mean by pure salt? Like Peat approved Morton pickling salt?
Btw Japanese have higher rate of stomach cancer. Because they eat a lot of foods and condiments extremely high in sodium. Simply too much salt at once and not enough diluted. So it is probably too much agressive for the stomach walls..

Ulla

What you mean by pure salt?

Simply too much salt at once and not enough diluted. So it is probably too much agressive for the stomach walls..

I meant that :)

YuraCZ

So then you should say "I would avoid consuming undissolved pure salt in capsules"
Otherwise it looks like that you are against consumption of salt.. :)

Ulla

Thanks for correcting me :) I am not against salt, I love it :)
English is not my native language and I was just cooking a lunch while surfing on forum :guilty: :)

BibleBeliever

What you mean by pure salt? Like Peat approved Morton pickling salt?
Btw Japanese have higher rate of stomach cancer. Because they eat a lot of foods and condiments extremely high in sodium. Simply too much salt at once and not enough diluted. So it is probably too much agressive for the stomach walls..
Didn't Ray speak about this, that it's not the salt but the salted fish they are consuming. The fish having carcinogens that react with the salt. Thus salt is the cause but rather what they have with the salt. I cannot see salt itself being a problem.

tara

Thanks for correcting me :) I am not against salt, I love it :)
English is not my native language and I was just cooking a lunch while surfing on forum :guilty: :)
Your phrasing seemed perfectly clear to me: avoid pure salt in or out of capsule.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals