Roburins, Ribosomes, And Refreshing Sleep

I see Life Extension Foundation as being on the cutting edge of mainstream medicine (and therefore still completely mistaken about most things). However, their magazine is a low effort way to keep up with some of trends in research. Sometimes there are some interesting things.

They report:
"Roburins from oak wood boost production of ribosomes needed for cellular protein synthesis.

Daily doses of 200-300 mg of roburins found in French oak wood extract have been shown to improve many fatigue-related symptoms and syndromes.

Human studies further demonstrate that this oak wood extract can reduce exhaustion, improve sleep, boost mood, and more."

You have to be careful with these reports because they're designed to sell supplements. I checked and surprisingly LEF does not have a French oak wood extract supplement -- yet. It's probably pretty new to the market.

LEF is the best example of the pharma model adapted to the supplement world. You'll notice that most research nowadays is on some exotic molecule or extract. If they did research on what regular food or basic supplements can do for you, then nobody can sell exotic extracts to you.

Anyway, my point in posting this here is that what other things target this mechanism?

What's most interesting to me is the significant improvements in sleep quality for people. That is the holy grail in my opinion: you wake up feeling amazing, not three hours later after you've had food and gotten a little sun. You know what I'm talking about: everything that day is easier; nothing is hard or difficult. Whenever I talk about amazing sleep I always feel like I'm crazy and I don't know if it's because I'm the weird one and everybody else gets amazing sleep all the time or if I'm the weird one that has actually experienced amazing sleep and everybody else can't even remember the last time they didn't drag themselves out of bed.

(Smartphone/EMF tips GTFO. Have you ever noticed that most of the people telling you to shut off your technology never have personal testimonials about how great they sleep all the time now? Because they still have bad nights. I've had amazing sleep without following any of the typical "sleep hygiene" rules, sometimes several days in a row. Several different supplements have worked for me at different times. Clearly there is more going on here than some simplistic light/EMF model that is unachievable for most people.)

Ledo

I see Life Extension Foundation as being on the cutting edge of mainstream medicine (and therefore still completely mistaken about most things). However, their magazine is a low effort way to keep up with some of trends in research. Sometimes there are some interesting things.

They report:
"Roburins from oak wood boost production of ribosomes needed for cellular protein synthesis.

Daily doses of 200-300 mg of roburins found in French oak wood extract have been shown to improve many fatigue-related symptoms and syndromes.

Human studies further demonstrate that this oak wood extract can reduce exhaustion, improve sleep, boost mood, and more."

You have to be careful with these reports because they're designed to sell supplements. I checked and surprisingly LEF does not have a French oak wood extract supplement -- yet. It's probably pretty new to the market.

LEF is the best example of the pharma model adapted to the supplement world. You'll notice that most research nowadays is on some exotic molecule or extract. If they did research on what regular food or basic supplements can do for you, then nobody can sell exotic extracts to you.

Anyway, my point in posting this here is that what other things target this mechanism?

What's most interesting to me is the significant improvements in sleep quality for people. That is the holy grail in my opinion: you wake up feeling amazing, not three hours later after you've had food and gotten a little sun. You know what I'm talking about: everything that day is easier; nothing is hard or difficult. Whenever I talk about amazing sleep I always feel like I'm crazy and I don't know if it's because I'm the weird one and everybody else gets amazing sleep all the time or if I'm the weird one that has actually experienced amazing sleep and everybody else can't even remember the last time they didn't drag themselves out of bed.

(Smartphone/EMF tips GTFO. Have you ever noticed that most of the people telling you to shut off your technology never have personal testimonials about how great they sleep all the time now? Because they still have bad nights. I've had amazing sleep without following any of the typical "sleep hygiene" rules, sometimes several days in a row. Several different supplements have worked for me at different times. Clearly there is more going on here than some simplistic light/EMF model that is unachievable for most people.)

Really great post, makes a lot of valuable pts!

Hope you don't mind me saying I felt the punchline was left out, lol.
So how do you get amazing sleep assuming you don't go for these exotics? Are you implying, due to your health routine, its something that occurs on some basis but you are not in complete control over it?

OP
Steven Bussinger
It has been renamed: Energy Renew, 200 mg, 30 capsules - Life Extension
Steve, it sounds on your post that you have used this oak wood, if so, which product have you used if you could not find LEF's product?

Thanks for that. I'm actually not very interested in buying it and haven't used oakwood before. I was hoping somebody else knew more about the mechanism so I could try to exploit it in the context of a Peat-aware diet.

Really great post, makes a lot of valuable pts!

Hope you don't mind me saying I felt the punchline was left out, lol.
So how do you get amazing sleep assuming you don't go for these exotics? Are you implying, due to your health routine, its something that occurs on some basis but you are not in complete control over it?

Thanks. The reason I didn't recommend anything is because I haven't been able to make the process completely repeatable or controllable for me. I think the longest that I've ever had something work is for about 6 weeks and then I go back to baseline.

For some time, the Victor Conte stack of magnesium, B6, and zinc helped a lot. It stopped having an effect so I stopped using it regularly.

Then I noticed that on the nights where I did my weekly selenium supplement, I had great sleep. My roommate corroborated this with an NPR story he heard where some study participants had deeper sleep from the selenium in their drug or something like that. I tried to locate the NPR story, but no luck. There is an extremely tiny amount of literature exploring selenium and sleep, but it's almost entirely anecdotal. However, for me, the results were undeniable. I continued using selenium every day (200mcg) and had about 2-3 weeks of amazing sleep. Then it became inconsistent like the stack above.

I'm back at baseline now. I get about one night of really good restful sleep per two weeks. The rest of the nights are only really helpful when I sleep for 8 hours. That keeps my head above water, but I know that long term I'm slowly declining.

There was one other period a couple years ago where I added supplements that helped me wake up super refreshed, but I understand it less concretely. My guess is it was vitamin E (AC Grace), taurine, or glycine.

I have noticed that a casein powder supplement has a definite negative effect on my sleep quality. Since I still eat other forms of dairy, it's possible there is something problematic with dairy. However, before I trialed the casein powder and afterwords, my sleep quality recovered and I was eating the same forms of dairy I do now (raw milk, Good Culture cottage cheese). Perhaps the supply changed or my body systems have been completely overwhelmed after sufficient time. The periods where the Conte stack and selenium worked were within 6 months of my return to America. Before that I lived in Russia for 3 months and really did not consume any milk. There are dozens of other confounding factors when it comes to Russia, though.

The fact that supplementation will get me great sleep for a limited amount of time suggests to me that there is probably some cofactor that gets used up after a couple weeks and that cofactor becomes the new bottleneck.

My current focus is iodine. I remembered that in Russia (Summer 2019) I was very consistent about applying 6 drops of Lugol's 2% to my skin every day. I stopped around December 2019. I think the iodine is why the selenium worked and then stopped working. I stopped supplementing iodine but probably had sufficient stores to last me a few months. The selenium used it up rapidly and since I was no longer supplementing iodine, I became depleted in iodine.

(Similarly, I noticed that using BHT seemed to deplete my selenium).

I know iodine has a bad rap around here but there are lots of stories of people saying they sleep so much deeper once they start doing the iodine protocol. I myself had one of my lucky nights of deep sleep after accidentally using a higher dose than normal. I've started supplementing again, but the doses I'm using currently are evidently too low to have an effect. I'm slowly building up, and making sure to supplement magnesium and selenium. A friend of mine has had a lot of success with iodine (clearing brain fog) and has been doing 12.5mg a day for 5 years now.

Supplementing retinol doesn't affect my sleep but it does help with entrainment. If I find it difficult to go to sleep early or I stay up late a lot, I take a pill and then the next day I'm nice and sleepy at a proper bedtime.

The Somavedic device also helps me at times, but I haven't fully figured out the most optimal usage yet. There were two nights where I was reading a book for two hours less than a foot from the device (plugged in) and I slept really well both of those nights. It could just be correlation, though. Those were very pleasant nights where I was able to just focus on and enjoy myself, without any concern about what I could/should be doing.

Last edited:

Ledo

....What's most interesting to me is the significant improvements in sleep quality for people. That is the holy grail in my opinion: you wake up feeling amazing, not three hours later after you've had food and gotten a little sun. You know what I'm talking about: everything that day is easier; nothing is hard or difficult. Whenever I talk about amazing sleep I always feel like I'm crazy and I don't know if it's because I'm the weird one and everybody else gets amazing sleep all the time or if I'm the weird one that has actually experienced amazing sleep and everybody else can't even remember the last time they didn't drag themselves out of bed....

I know exactly what you are talking about and I can relate to having the night or period of great sleep and wishing it would last. It never has though. But when it happens, it is heaven. Easy deep sleep coming on effortlessly and then waking up as though 5 minutes have passed and yet a false sense to find you have slept 7 or 8 hours straight. There is a quick stretching that seems energize every cell in the body and then an urge to rise and shine as they say.

This may be the norm for kids, it was for me at that time and seems the norm for my kids. I can say I remember it even into my 30's for extended lengths of time but not all the time. Now in my fifties it is rare and much less intense. So I seem to see a pattern with my aging, the ability to do all things lessens, and that includes sleep.

Looking around, my observations of other people, people that claim good or bad sleeping are the following, and I hope I don't sound to condescending but here goes anyway. The people with the more simple mentality, the less intellectually driven, the black and white-ers, seem to have less sleep problems or report sleeping great more consistently. I think having or conjuring concerns is going to have a big impact on sleep and if you just don't care or can't see past the nose on your face because you are sure of everything that applies to you from how you look to how sure you are that you know how great other people think you are and many other factors may make sleeping a breeze. And in addition, I think a mindset like this not only leads to possible great sleeping ability but also may make that person more healthy in general, just humming right along no worries. Great health - great sleep in virtuous cycle. In fact a guy I would say looked the best for his age out of everyone I knew and for whom sleeping was a easy as he put it believed deeply the most ridiculous things how the government was your friend and all the politicians were great patriots etc but tended to have serious psychic breaks that ended him up in the hospital emergency room on a to often basis. The ability however you do it to convince yourself all is good and 'in fact' you are great may be the single biggest factor in sleep as it pertains to health.

Self reported bad sleepers all ended up pretty rough looking and acting no exceptions, again this is out of people I have known. These are worry types and or carrying a big load. So what came first? I say its the good sleep eventually wrecked by life's problems and life's worries. I have no proof just anecdote.

I don't necessarily mean to imply IQ either in that I think dummies sleep better . I have known many a conceited dude and even gals in the professional class, Doctor or lawyer who in thinking they were great did actually look great for their age and one guy in particular liked to use the "I sleep like a baby" phrase just to make sure you knew he could beat you even there!, Haha

In my own life during times of excelling at what I was doing corresponded to being able to get optimum sleep for whatever that was for me at the time. I think its primordial in that being safe in no worry sleep whether founded in reality or not, comes to those with less threats in the environment, real or imagined. Very old people can become more childlike and have a devil may care attitude. Their sleep is more spontaneous, anytime of day thing, but shorter in duration. It may be optimal for them though proving the point of stress to the mind being the impediment.

The problem of stress and mental load hurting sleep then eventually manifesting in the physical tissue realm with a vicious cycle is so broad based though maybe it can over well any factors one is trying to track for causation? I think this was the intent of your OP?

So accepting that, how can we optimize for whatever sleep potential we have left? Tomorrow, I will put my experiences in the post you first replied to me above.

Speaking of EMF, if I forget to turn the router off at night I usually wake up in the worst way. For me that is the 3 oclock stark wake up where I am likely to not get back to sleep for the night. I am also somebody that can literally feel disruption in my tissue holding a cell phone or touching a router.

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals