NO SUPPLEMENTS EXPERIMENTS

OccamzRazer

I want to avoid opening up a new thread, but I am wondering if there are forum members who don‘t take any supplements at all?

I‘ve taken really minimal amounts of supplements lately and on some days where I took none I felt amazing. I felt way warmer, had better pulse, brighter mood and higher libido.

Have you tried going without any supplements at all for a period of time?
What is your experience like with it?
Thanks for revitalizing this one - it's been on the mind a lot recently!

Currently I take just 3 things:

- Desiccated thyroid
- K2
- Magnesium

It's nice to keep things simple and save money. I'm debating going totally supplement free...but all 3 of the above have too many tangible improvements.

In lieu of extra supplementation I've been doing lots of inner work/energy cultivation and meditation. Feeling really good so far!

P

Peatness

I actually took 2-3 grams of B1 for a few months without any noticeable blood sugar issues. I also have a high intake of magnesium and potassium through dietary means.

For a long time I benefited from the increase in acetylcholine I think, because it opposed the sympathetic drive (excessive norepinephrine) that a copper excess caused.

I also took zinc, P5P and vitamin E which all help increase acetylcholine.
Interesting, I wonder why you had a reaction this time? I still think that much thiamine is not necessary

youngsinatra

Interesting, I wonder why you had a reaction this time? I still think that much thiamine is not necessary
I think I am subjectively more on the high acetylcholine and higher histamine side nowadays, which helped my anxiety and digestion a lot by calming down the nervous system and acetylcholine and histamine are really crucial for many things.

What got me here was taking a lot of zinc, B-vitamins (but B1, B5 and B6 especially), vitamin E and vitamin D. CDP-choline also for a while. All that while avoiding vitamin A and too much dietary copper.

But I can barely tolerate these anymore too. I just focus on eating a really nutritious diet now.

I also effortlessly ceased my nicotine habit by increasing acetylcholine. I only smoke on really rare occasions now. I think I got into nicotine in the first place to compensate for a low acetylcholine state that I was in for a while.

Last edited:

Peatful

I would love to be supplement free for a while. I recall Peat saying a woman's blood pressure normalised after she stopped all her supplements.

@youngsinatra that was too much thiamine. That amount tanked you blood sugar, magnesium and probably other nutrients too. Also with thiamine you need to build up to the required dose. 2g is overkill

@Peatful please what is an average day meal plan for you?
I honestly eat anything that agrees with me.

Not the answer you were looking for probably.

Obviously each person has a different story. A different journey to dis-ease.

Foundational for me was no more restrictive eating. No more dogma.

Letting my body guide me (temps, blood sugar, digestion, mood, sleep, etc) I went “all in” to heal.

It worked- with digestion being the most difficult to remedy completely; for several reasons.

So- not knowing your hx or current status; I would generally say: are you eating enough to rebuild what has broken you?
Are your sources of stress manageable?

And I will emphasize this: your body is fighting for you and wants to heal- and can heal.

You need to calm the chaos down- be it supplements or undereating or over exercising or whatever- to give it a chance to find balance and rebuild.

Please DM me anytime if you don’t want to publicly process here.

P

Peatness

I honestly eat anything that agrees with me.

Not the answer you were looking for probably.

Obviously each person has a different story. A different journey to dis-ease.

Foundational for me was no more restrictive eating. No more dogma.

Letting my body guide me (temps, blood sugar, digestion, mood, sleep, etc) I went “all in” to heal.

It worked- with digestion being the most difficult to remedy completely; for several reasons.

So- not knowing your hx or current status; I would generally say: are you eating enough to rebuild what has broken you?
Are your sources of stress manageable?

And I will emphasize this: your body is fighting for you and wants to heal- and can heal.

You need to call the chaos down- be it supplements or undereating or over exercising or whatever- to give it a chance to find balance and rebuild.

Please DM me anytime if you don’t want to publicly process here.
No under-eating, in fact I am taking in more calories than I can burn. No overexercising. I'm injured anyway.

Peatful

No under-eating, in fact I am taking in more calories than I can burn. No overexercising. I'm injured anyway.
Do you have a large stress load?

Your temps are good? Metabolism strong?

P

Peatness

Do you have a large stress load?

Your temps are good? Metabolism strong?
I do have injuries, I have ehlers danlos. I'm hypo so I take small amount of thyroid. Temperature is not great. I think a vitamin A toxicity is blocking my thyroid (evidenced by carotene palm). It's impossible to avoid carotene unless on eats white rice and beef. This would not be an ideal diet for me

Peatful

I do have injuries, I have ehlers danlos. I'm hypo so I take small amount of thyroid. Temperature is not great. I think a vitamin A toxicity is blocking my thyroid (evidenced by carotene palm). It's impossible to avoid carotene unless on eats white rice and beef. This would not be an ideal diet for me
With the new year- it might be a “fun” experiment to peel back from all supplements; journal as you go; and really try to get the nutrition piece down.

I understand that EDS is hereditary. But im addressing your metabolism- not your dx.

Meaning- a goal of where you feel strong temps and no crazy blood sugar highs and lows, etc etc.

I think Josh Rubin has some good data out there on YouTube or his website. East West Healing.

I may have not helped one bit but know I am rooting for you across the Pond.
Again- reach out anytime.

P

Peatness

With the new year- it might be a “fun” experiment to peel back from all supplements; journal as you go; and really try to get the nutrition piece down.

I understand that EDS is hereditary. But im addressing your metabolism- not your dx.

Meaning- a goal of where you feel strong temps and no crazy blood sugar highs and lows, etc etc.

I think Josh Rubin has some good data out there on YouTube or his website. East West Healing.

I may have not helped one bit but know I am rooting for you across the Pond.
Again- reach out anytime.
Thanks

Brandin

I actually took 2-3 grams of B1 for a few months without any noticeable blood sugar issues. I also have a high intake of magnesium and potassium through dietary means.

For a long time I benefited from the increase in acetylcholine I think, because it opposed the sympathetic drive (excessive norepinephrine) that a copper excess caused.

I also took zinc, P5P and vitamin E which all help increase acetylcholine.

I have through extreme experiments with b1, coffee, tobacco and sugar gotten very good at feeling my bloodsugar. When I take tobacco, coffe and b1 In the morning I need to first get atleast 50grams of sugar and then maybe double that during the usage of the respective metabolism boosting "supplements". I dont actually know the exact amount of sugar I intake tho since I just feel when its the roght amount and dont weigh it or anything. For me there are plenty of supplements that are beneficial but I just really need to adjust them and the food woth eachother. I would say increasing sugar is smartest and not dropping the metabolism boosting supplement is the way to go if one encounters too low bloodsugar. Once i started adapting my carbintake to these supplements my balls grew in size and sleep quality went through the roof. These are the easiest things for me to measure so other than stress, mood, gut and skin quality i mostly rellie on them haha...

aniciete

Thanks for revitalizing this one - it's been on the mind a lot recently!

Currently I take just 3 things:

- Desiccated thyroid
- K2
- Magnesium

It's nice to keep things simple and save money. I'm debating going totally supplement free...but all 3 of the above have too many tangible improvements.

In lieu of extra supplementation I've been doing lots of inner work/energy cultivation and meditation. Feeling really good so far!
What brand of k2?

Warrior

What a fascinating thread. Glad to see such insight and awareness on this board as so many folks who are interested in performance usually do the opposite and go OD on the pills and potions then take more of something else to offset these effects and so in in a strange form of regress in the name of progress.

One of the things I've noticed often is a lot of folk in said situ are afraid to stop. Almost like they're addicted to self prescription in the quest for radiant health. Often they overlook a lot of the basics like people have mentioned as food, mood, sleep, breath and a good stretch should be your first line of prep and the rest will often reveal itself to be superfluous. Fresh air and sunshine can work wonders as does meaningful social connection sprinkled with some occasional silliness. Be as children...

Cultivating that internal level of awareness is nigh on vital and something, oddly, almost totally discouraged in this day and age but it is worth "getting clean" so you can note what your baseline is and then add in one thing, keep a journal with variables filled and see what happens.

Actually the above is vital for anyone engaging in Self actualization of any sort and alone can be game changing.

Warrior

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuSfV43Quuo

07:34 - ‘People’s symptoms improve when they stop taking their supplements’
17:12 - Contamination, fillers, pill casings, etc.
18:09 - What is Ray’s process for determining if something is safe or not?
22:13 - ‘Unnamed and unidentified nutrients in natural foods’
36:42 - Ray’s thoughts on the versatility of the body
51:57 - Ray expands on the relationship between aspirin and vitamin K
54:06 - Do people tend to be vitamin K deficient?
56:30 - If Ray could take any substance on a desert island what would it be?

One of the things I've noticed often is a lot of folk in said situ are afraid to stop. Almost like they're addicted to self prescription in the quest for radiant health.
I can relate to this, being afraid to stop. You just don’t know which one might be a problem, and don’t want issues coming back taking out the wrong one. I cut dosages in half one at a time.

Birdie

This was interesting on the subject of supplements or no or few. He seems to support Peat's thoughts here.

tongMD
Feb 6

"That’s partly why the supplements I take are generally well within the upper limit of what a diet in a studied subpopulation takes - i.e. creatine monohydrate (specifically Creapure), preferably in how it is typically absorbed as a very general heuristic. Most people are in fact taking things that do not have long-term safety data and have a real very likely potential for harm i.e. lead or other heavy metals that exceeds the limits by many times. One might not notice it in the short-term but there is strong potential for real likely long-term harm in excessive lead amounts, as an example.

I very sparingly make exceptions if there is a very compelling case, even then I’d carefully consider any individual factors or situations, the entire manufacturing process and quality control process, and what I’d like to test for or monitor. This might be surprising to some, but plenty of “third party” test results are bogus (supplement companies generally go extra cheap-o and/or false and misleading on testing regardless of one’s brand perception) and one can only easily figure it out by reading the fine print and whether it makes sense given enough context.

A lot of people like to go the “kitchen sink” route and don’t think about evaluating patient safety in depth on a case by case basis, mechanistic basis for these compounds, drug interactions, how it may affect pathophysiology, or all the possible interactions and such. There may not be apparent harm in the short-term - but the multivitamin and antioxidant studies showing increased mortality over the long run in “gold standard” Cochrane reviews give us more than enough pause for what was previously widely considered “safe”.

Now one can have very high risk tolerance and very high levels of optimism on an individual level - not necessarily anything inherently wrong with that assuming one is well informed of the risks.
Personally, I have a low risk tolerance that is only relatively overcome to some extent by the risk of doing nothing, while balancing the risks of over-interventionalism with cautious levels of optimism".

I want to avoid opening up a new thread, but I am wondering if there are forum members who don‘t take any supplements at all?

I‘ve taken really minimal amounts of supplements lately and on some days where I took none I felt amazing. I felt way warmer, had better pulse, brighter mood and higher libido.

Have you tried going without any supplements at all for a period of time?
What is your experience like with it?
As an update to my first reply in this thread two years ago, I don’t take supplements and I feel amazing. I had taken them my whole life, and now I realize what a big expensive mistake that has been.

Ismail

Coincidental I came across this thread.

I've been taking many supplements daily (b complex, niacinamide, B1 (TTFD), glycine, D3, K2, aspirin, creatine, magnesium, taurine), especially before sleeping (such as magnesium, glycine, aspirin, K2). It's odd, cos sometimes the supplements seemed to have made me feel like I had good sleep, but it was never consistent - I tried to measure on my whoop band - which of course is not 100% accurate, nevertheless it does seem to correlate (relatively) with how I feel.

I couldn't figure out why I was having such poop sleep in general. The last week or so, I've stopped all supplements before bed except glycine (approximately 5g), and it seems to have made such a significant difference. I feel so much better during the day and it totally changes my day, gives me the energy and motivation to get things done etc.

There are days where I've been to bed later than I wanted, and even though I've had less sleep, I still feel better than I would on days where I had supplements before sleeping.

For the last week my "recovery" has been in the green consistently, even though I've messed up and not gone to bed on time etc. I've only been taking glycine for the last week and I've never had such high scores and felt so good. I've also stopped taking the b complex, niacinamide and TTFD during the day. Also stopped aspirin.

Only taking creatine, taurine, magnesium, D3 and K2 and glycine during the day.

Attachments

• IMG_B2DD9317D44C-1.jpeg
    IMG_B2DD9317D44C-1.jpeg
    788.1 KB · Views: 2