Optimal Melatonin Dosage For Insomnia And Delayed Sleep Phase Syndrome (DSPS)

DaveFoster

Dr. Peat has commented negatively on melatonin supplementation, citing its suppression of metabolism and body temperature. Melatonin has been shown to correct delayed sleep phase syndrome (DSPS), a disturbance of the circadian rhythm, deviating from the normal 24-hour sleep cycle.

Melatonin regulates and corrects DSPS, but in the vast majority of cases, the sleep cycle reverts back to its previous disturbance. Regular or infrequent administration of melatonin on an ongoing basis as needed can restore order to the circadian rhythm. Melatonin also treats insomnia, such as that brought on by stimulant use, as with caffeine.

The take-away from the following studies show that melatonin dosages above 300 mcg can be harmful, suppressing one's body temperature and elevating melatonin levels for the following day. Even dosages of 300 mcg seem to be necessary only in the elderly, and dosages of around 100 mcg and less minimize the harmful effects associated with higher dosages.

This study in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences showed that dosages of 0.1 mcg significantly improved measurements of sleep quality and reduced the time to fall asleep (sleep latency).

"In summary, administration of a small melatonin dose (0.1-0.3 mg, p.o.) during the daytime, which raises serum melatonin concentrations to within the normal nocturnal range, or of slightly higher doses (1.0-10 mg, p.o.) was shown to cause hypnotic effects relative to placebo. These effects include a decrease in objective and self-estimated sleep-onset latency, an increase in sleep duration, and sleepiness upon waking. Self-reported feelings of sleepiness and fatigue were increased and feelings of vigor diminished. Oral temperature and the number of correct responses on the Wilkinson auditory vigilance task were found to decrease significantly after ingestion of 1.0 and 10 mg of melatonin. These results are similar to those reported after ingestion of benzodiazepines and suggest that melatonin may find use as a hypnotic drug. They also suggest that the normal physiologic secretion of melatonin may be an important and direct-acting factor in bringing about sleep onset."

upload_2018-8-26_8-49-37.png

upload_2018-8-26_8-51-33.png

Reference: Dollins AB, Zhdanova IV, Wurtman RJ, Lynch HJ, Deng MH. Effect of inducing nocturnal serum melatonin concentrations in daytime on sleep, mood, body temperature, and performance. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 1994 Mar 1;91(5):1824–8.​

Researchers in The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism studied the effects of melatonin in the elderly, specifically those over 50 years of age with age-related insomnia and a subsequent degradation in their sleep quality.

"SLEEP-WAKE TIMING IS REGULATED BY THE BIOLOGIC CLOCK IN A CIRCADIAN RHYTHM: A RHYTHM CONSISTING OF APPROXIMATELY 24 HOURS. Entrainment of the biologic clock is achieved by environmental light. The endogenous rhythm of melatonin production by the pineal gland is regulated by the suprachiasmatic nucleus and is suppressed by exposure to bright light. Endogenous melatonin starts to rise in dim light (the so-called dim light melatonin onset [DLMO]), normally between 19:30 and 21:30 in adults and between 19:00 and 21:00 in children 6 to 12 years of age.1 This DLMO can be determined for each individual, and it characterizes the individual's circadian timing.

Delayed sleep phase disorder (DSPD) is a problem in which the circadian clock is entrained in the 24-hour rhythm but at a delayed phase angle.2 This can result in sleep- wake timing that is late with respect to societal norms.1 It has been estimated that approximately 10% of patients with chronic insomnia have DSPD.3

Treatment of DSPD relies on the use of chronotherapy or, in other words, the shifting of sleep-wake schedules4 using carefully timed “morning” light administration5 to phase advance the clock and “evening” melatonin treatment to advance the clock.6 Based on the principles of chronobiology, effective treatment is entirely dependent on the correct timing of light and melatonin in relation to the circadian clock (circadian phase).7

Some characteristic circadian clock times are wake time, defined as circadian time 0 and DLMO, which is classically defined as circadian time 14,8 the time at which a melatonin level of 10 pg/mL is attained in the blood. This level was chosen during a period in the past when blood melatonin levels lower than 10 pg/mL could not be detected. Later, when the lower limit of quantification dropped, it was possible to measure lower melatonin levels in both blood and saliva. Salivary melatonin levels appear to correspond with 30% to 40% of the melatonin level in the blood. Consequently, salivary DLMO has been defined as the time at which 3 pg/mL or 4 pg/mL is found in the saliva. Nowadays, it is possible to measure salivary melatonin levels of 0.5 pg/mL or even lower, which has led to different definitions of DLMO.911

All of the studies in which the effects of melatonin have been observed determined the shift of DLMO after an intervention; in these studies, this measure was not influenced by the method of determination. Nevertheless, in the included studies, the traditional method has been applied.

When exogenous melatonin is administered, it functions as a chronobiotic drug with hypnotic properties.12 Exogenous melatonin is currently under investigation as a potential treatment for DSPD.13 Previous studies have shown exogenous melatonin to shift the internal biologic clock8,14 in addition to eliciting direct soporific effects that occur mainly during the daytime when endogenous melatonin levels are low.15

The chronobiotic mechanism becomes apparent when depicting the shift of the biologic clock as a phase-response curve. Changes from baseline are plotted as an advance or delay of sleep. Studies that examine phase-response curves support the circadian-phase effectiveness of melatonin by showing a persistent effect upon the sleep profile after a washout period of 24 hours following cessation of melatonin administration.16 The cessation of melatonin therapy in adults with DSPD results in the delay of sleep onset and a return to pretreatment values within a few days to 1 year.17,18 In the children who had sleep-onset insomnia and who took melatonin, the drug holidays lasting 1 week resulted in the former sleep problem returning in more than 90% of the cases.19 This suggests that the chronobiotic effects of melatonin can only be sustained through continued use, although the need to advance sleep onset did disappear in 8% of the children who had received treatment19 during a 4-year period.

The greatest advancement can be observed when melatonin is administered 5 hours prior to both the traditionally determined DLMO (circadian time 9)20 and the threshold-determined DLMO.21 Delays are registered when melatonin is administered between 6 to 15 hours after DLMO.1,8,13,22,23

In addition to when the drug is administered, the dose of the drug may also play a role in the effectiveness of melatonin. When the dose is too low, no concrete effects will occur; when the dose is too high, the chronobiologic effects may be lost, and only the somnolent actions remain.24,25 Recently, an association between time of administration and dose of exogenous melatonin in relationship to to endogenous melatonin onset was demonstrated.21 Given that melatonin has a very short elimination half-life in most individuals (between 35 and 45 minutes),26 it is quite plausible that very low doses (i.e., 0.5 mg or less) administered relatively early (i.e., 5 hours prior to DLMO) will have already been cleared to subphysiologic levels before endogenous melatonin onset occurs, and, hence, no shift of DLMO will be observed...

Results

No significant increases in sleep efficiency were observed after subjects with normal sleep received any dose of melatonin (Fig. 1A and Table 1). In contrast, the sleep of insomniac subjects was significantly improved by all three melatonin doses, with the 0.3-mg dose causing the greatest effect (P < 0.0001) (Fig. 1B and Table 1). This change in overnight sleep efficiency was principally due to increased sleep efficiency during the middle portion of the nocturnal sleep period (P = 0.018) and, secondarily, to improvement during the latter third of the night (Fig. 2). The sleep efficiencies of insomniac subjects were normal during the first third of the night and were unaffected by melatonin during this interval. Melatonin had no behaviorally significant, dose-related effects on total sleep time; number of awakenings; latency to sleep onset; latency to REM sleep; or percent time spent in any of the sleep stages in insomniacs or normal sleepers.

upload_2018-8-26_8-32-6.png

upload_2018-8-26_8-31-27.png

Sleep efficiency in subjects with normal sleep (A) and age-related insomnia (B) following melatonin or placebo treatment.* , P < 0.05.

upload_2018-8-26_8-33-12.png

Mean group (n = 30) plasma melatonin profiles after melatonin or placebo treatment 30 min before bedtime. Inset, daytime melatonin levels; circle, placebo; triangle, 0.1 mg; square, 0.3 mg; diamond, 3 mg.

upload_2018-8-26_8-37-20.png

Core body temperature profiles following melatonin or placebo treatment. Circle, placebo; triangle, 0.1 mg; square, 0.3 mg, diamond, 3 mg. *, P < 0.05.

Discussion
The results of this study demonstrate, for the first time, that physiologic doses of melatonin that raise plasma melatonin to levels within its normal nocturnal range (i.e. 60–200 pg/ml) can significantly improve sleep in people suffering from age-related insomnia; that bedtime melatonin treatment does not modify sleep efficiency or alter sleep architecture in older people in whom sleep already is normal; and that the major effect of the melatonin treatment we provided is observed during the midportion of the nocturnal sleep period. This study in aged insomniacs also found that, similar to ours and others’ observations in young healthy individuals (5–9), pharmacological doses of melatonin do not increase the sleep-promoting effects of melatonin above those achieved by physiological doses and might even be less effective. Moreover, the pharmacological dose that we used (3 mg) was associated with a significant decline in core body temperature, but the physiological doses (0.1 and 0.3 mg) had no such effect. This confirms that although nocturnal hypothermia is induced when plasma melatonin is raised to supraphysiological levels, this decline is not a prerequisite for melatonin to promote sleep (5)."

Reference
: Zhdanova IV, Wurtman RJ, Regan MM, Taylor JA, Shi JP, Leclair OU. Melatonin Treatment for Age-Related Insomnia. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2001 Oct 1;86(10):4727–30.

Attachments

• upload_2018-8-26_8-34-31.png
    upload_2018-8-26_8-34-31.png
    24.6 KB · Views: 12
  • upload_2018-8-26_8-34-32.png
    upload_2018-8-26_8-34-32.png
    24.6 KB · Views: 12

Lecarpetron

Early on in my 10 year struggle with sleep onset insomnia, a Mayo Clinic doc had me take 300 micrograms of melatonin. By trial and error, I found the best time to take it for 11pm desired bedtime was 6pm, so that matches the 5 hour estimate here. Interesting. It didn't work forever, but it helped me for about 6 months.

broozer

is it androgenic or estrogenic? been taking it since 5ys, increasing dose every 2ys. now @1,5 mg at the beginning it was helping.
now it lost effectiveness and i might go on very low dose reading this study.

Mufasa

Thanks @DaveFoster.

So if you are young and want to asleep around 22:30, then taking 100mcg melatonin at 17:30 seems a good strategy right?

OP
DaveFoster

DaveFoster

Early on in my 10 year struggle with sleep onset insomnia, a Mayo Clinic doc had me take 300 micrograms of melatonin. By trial and error, I found the best time to take it for 11pm desired bedtime was 6pm, so that matches the 5 hour estimate here. Interesting. It didn't work forever, but it helped me for about 6 months.
Very interesting, thank you for sharing. Did it stop working, and did your sleep schedule revert back to an undesirably late bedtime since?
Thanks @DaveFoster.

So if you are young and want to asleep around 22:30, then taking 100mcg melatonin at 17:30 seems a good strategy right?
Five hours before your desired bedtime have been shown to be effective at regulating your circadian rhythm, but you may do better somewhere between six or four hours in advance of your bedtime, or even closer.

If you're trying to induce sleep directly, then you can take melatonin much closer to your bedtime. In the context of caffeine consumption within six hours before your bedtime, 300 mcg of melatonin or slightly more might be necessary to induce sleep; however, the higher dosage later in the evening can leave you with feelings of chills, fatigue and depression upon rising during the following morning.
is it androgenic or estrogenic? been taking it since 5ys, increasing dose every 2ys. now @1,5 mg at the beginning it was helping.
now it lost effectiveness and i might go on very low dose reading this study.
A study by Wright et al. demonstrated a negligible effect of melatonin on various hormones including prolactin, which itself can give insight into estrogen levels, as well as cortisol, growth hormone and testosterone.

"At two different times of year (spring and autumn) an oral preparation of the pineal neurohormone melatonin, or placebo, was administered to 12 healthy volunteers (10 men and two women in spring: the same group minus one man in autumn) daily at 1700 h for 1 month (spring), or 3 weeks (autumn) using a double-blind cross-over protocol. The daily dose was 2 mg melatonin in 5 ml corn-oil, and placebo consisted of the vehicle only. In spring the anterior pituitary hormones LH, PRL, GH together with T4, cortisol, testosterone and melatonin were measured at 1- to 6-h intervals for 24 h in plasma on the day following the last dose. In autumn PRL, cortisol and melatonin levels were measured on the last day of treatment. Subjective fatigue, mood and sleep records were kept throughout the studies. Melatonin increased early evening fatigue and actual sleep, but had no effect on mood: these results are reported in full elsewhere. Melatonin administration had no effect on the levels or 24-h rhythm of LH, GH, T4, testosterone or cortisol. An earlier fall in the nocturnal PRL was observed on both occasions. Overall PRL levels were higher in spring than in autumn. In five of the subjects, the secretion of endogenous melatonin was advanced by 1-3 h in the presence of exogenous melatonin. These observations suggest that the potential therapeutic use of melatonin as a hypnotic or in the treatment of jet lag is unlikely to be complicated by undesirable endocrine effects."​

Some other studies indicate a fall in luteinizing hormone (LH) levels, and as I've mentioned elsewhere on an additional post regarding methylphenidate, suppressed luteinizing hormone (LH) levels have neuroprotective effects.

Nevertheless, melatonin, taken in amounts that exceed 300 mcg daily do suppress the body temperature somewhat, and Dr. Peat mentions hypothermia, that is a low body temperature as a promoter of edema, or swelling of the tissues with water, which he covers in his article, Aging, estrogen, and progesterone. The hormone estrogen, in the presence of deficient progesterone levels, directly causes inflammation and edema.

"Temperature falls during sleep. Recent experiments show that hypothermia during surgery exacerbates the edema produced by stress, and that hypertonic (hyperosmotic or hyperoncotic) solutions alleviate the swelling. It is possible that light's action directly on the cells helps them to prevent swelling, and that the body's infrared emissions have a similar function. Whatever the mechanism is, adequate temperature improves sleep, and an excessive nocturnal temperature drop probably increases edema, with all of its harmful consequences."

Link: Aging, estrogen, and progesterone
It's likely that melatonin has no negative effects on androgen levels per se, and other studies even indicate positive effects of melatonin on both serum testosterone and progesterone levels in humans. However, if taken in excess of 300 mcg daily, melatonin suppresses the body temperature, will promote inflammation and will thereby likely minimize any protective hormonal effects.

Last edited:

Lecarpetron

Very interesting, thank you for sharing. Did it stop working, and did your sleep schedule revert back to an undesirably late bedtime since?

It did stop working, and I reverted back to a natural bedtime of 5-6am. Looking back, I had bigger issues to solve: undereating + overexercising, both induced by suggestions from the sleep doctor on how to "improve health" :banghead: I sleep much better now, 10 years later, but only when I adhere perfectly to giving my body proper cues for diurnal energy/relaxation cycle.

I think that my natural circadian rhythm is something closer to 48 hours rather than 24 hours. Without perfect cues, I tend to be wired for 2 days straight, then tired for 2 days straight. I'm now experimenting with iodine in hopes that my lack of circadian rhythm occurred due to fluoride-induced pineal gland calcification.

broozer

last night i cut from 1,5 to 1mg. i slept a bit shorter but felt less depressed the day and more energetic. tonight im trying 0,5mg. since increasing the mela i lost considerable and visible amount of thigh girth (-3cm). but maybe its also my cortisol that went through the roof.

my endo on 1mg melatonin: not antiandrogen.
my psych said: antiandrogen

@DaveFoster whats your opinion on monster energy drinks ingeneral and monster in particular? they give me some sort of relaxed wakefulness,whereas coffee (esspresso arabica) a more nervous one.

OP
DaveFoster

DaveFoster

@DaveFoster whats your opinion on monster energy drinks ingeneral and monster in particular? they give me some sort of relaxed wakefulness,whereas coffee (esspresso arabica) a more nervous one.
The L-carnitine in Monster energy drinks has toxic effects on the heart, which could be a contributor in the link between energy drinks and heart attacks. However, those who consume Monster energy drinks probably practice less discrimination regarding their food choices, which could cause deleterious health effects as well.

OP
DaveFoster

DaveFoster

It did stop working, and I reverted back to a natural bedtime of 5-6am. Looking back, I had bigger issues to solve: undereating + overexercising, both induced by suggestions from the sleep doctor on how to "improve health" :banghead: I sleep much better now, 10 years later, but only when I adhere perfectly to giving my body proper cues for diurnal energy/relaxation cycle.

I think that my natural circadian rhythm is something closer to 48 hours rather than 24 hours. Without perfect cues, I tend to be wired for 2 days straight, then tired for 2 days straight. I'm now experimenting with iodine in hopes that my lack of circadian rhythm occurred due to fluoride-induced pineal gland calcification.
I have the exact same bedtime, although with a tendency toward oversleeping rather than such a dramatically extended circadian rhythm.

broozer

I have the exact same bedtime, although with a tendency toward oversleeping rather than such a dramatically extended circadian rhythm.

actually before all my mental, immunsesystem and insomnia-chaos started, i lived a 3AM to 2PM sleep pattern, feeling strong and sharp the whole day. i might have crashed due to stopping finasteride, but at the same time i was forced into a 9 to 5 schedule and that change racked me for sure.

Mufasa

Little bit off topic, but because this is about DSPS, I have struggled with it since I was 16, and I now completely got rid of it for more than a year, falling aspeep at 11pm and waking up around 8 am.

I think Vitamin A has been an important piece curing my DSPS:

https://www.westonaprice.org/vitami...setting-circadian-rhythm-allowing-good-sleep/

I think fixing my internet addiction/information addiction/screen addiction has been another important piece.

Last edited:

broozer

update: its benn roughly 2 weeks i reduced melatonin dosage from 1,5 to 1mg. feeling much better in the day,, less anxious,helpless and depressed. WAY more alpha.feeling like back @6ng+ testo.

Kray

Hi- do you happen to dose melatonin these days? Is the consensus still better to pass on it? I found one that offers 0.5mg dose.

Last edited:
OP
DaveFoster

DaveFoster

Hi- do you happen to dose melatonin these days? Is the consensus still better to pass on it? I found one that offers 0.5mg dose.

I think it's safe so long as one doesn't take it while in a hypothyroid state, or at least safer.

Santosh

0mg is the ideal melatonin dosage.
Unless you want to be a depressed zombie the following day.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals