NO SUPPLEMENTS EXPERIMENTS

andrei

Hi guys! I was wondering if you tried going without supplements completely.

At the moment, I take vitamin E (400mg) and 1 gram of glycine every day.

I drink 1 L of milk (2.5%), 1 L OJ, much honey and white sugar, and cod fish.

I feel almost amazing. I judge my health by my quality of sleep primarily, and temperature. I am warm and my digestion is regular. I don't have gas. My sleep is 9 out of 10 now.

My effort in research goes into getting the deepest sleep possible. And I cannot get it yet. I want to experiment an extreme of not taking any supplements at all. I was wondering if you guys tried something like that?

youngsinatra

I want to avoid opening up a new thread, but I am wondering if there are forum members who don‘t take any supplements at all?

I‘ve taken really minimal amounts of supplements lately and on some days where I took none I felt amazing. I felt way warmer, had better pulse, brighter mood and higher libido.

Have you tried going without any supplements at all for a period of time?
What is your experience like with it?

Jennifer

Yes, for the majority of my life I didn't take any supplements. I do best taking the least amount possible as I react negatively to even ones commonly considered safe like the water soluble vitamins. I take two currently—NDT and vitamin D3 (in the winter)—but diet and reducing stress (physical, mental and emotional) have been the most effective things for my healing.

youngsinatra

It‘s been almost a week without any supplements. I feel pretty damn good with it. Certainly don‘t feel like I am missing out on something. Digestion feels strong, I feel more warm, have way better mood somehow too.

aniciete

I want to avoid opening up a new thread, but I am wondering if there are forum members who don‘t take any supplements at all?

I‘ve taken really minimal amounts of supplements lately and on some days where I took none I felt amazing. I felt way warmer, had better pulse, brighter mood and higher libido.

Better mood, digestion, energy, and easier figure out what’s causing problems when not taking 10+ supplements. I think everyone should try stopping supplements for a good while and see if issues subside. In my experience, magnesium and b vitamins are the only supplements I benefit from.

youngsinatra

Better mood, digestion, energy, and easier figure out what’s causing problems when not taking 10+ supplements. I think everyone should try stopping supplements for a good while and see if issues subside. In my experience, magnesium and b vitamins are the only supplements I benefit from.
Exactly.
Maybe all we need is good quality nutritious food? What a radical revolutionary idea. (lol)

Even magnesium and B-vitamins can cause weird things. Magnesium can sometimes cause mental sluggishness or loose stools for me.

I noticed that I don‘t had the hypoglycemic feeling that I struggled with semi-regularly. Maybe I was pushing it too hard with the pro-metabolic supplements.

Perry Staltic

I've been fasting from all supplements for several weeks and feel better. I will probably do them every other day or so when I restart. I want to make sure I keep my D and Zn levels up

aniciete

Exactly.
Maybe all we need is good quality nutritious food? What a radical revolutionary idea. (lol)

Even magnesium and B-vitamins can cause weird things. Magnesium can sometimes cause mental sluggishness or loose stools for me.

I noticed that I don‘t had the hypoglycemic feeling that I struggled with semi-regularly. Maybe I was pushing it too hard with the pro-metabolic supplements.
I agree. Some of the worst offenders for me were fat solubles, especially K and E.

redsun

Exactly.

Yeh its not too hard to get 300-400mg of magnesium from food if you try. Too much magnesium, which easily happens with supplements, may lead to low NMDA activity.

aniciete

Yeh its not too hard to get 300-400mg of magnesium from food if you try. Too much magnesium, which easily happens with supplements, may lead to low NMDA activity.
Do you think that too many b vitamins can be an issue? I’ve been taking the standard dose of energin (25 drops) and have been having serotonin like symptoms that didn’t happen when only taking 12 drops. Could it be the 100mg of b3?

redsun

Do you think that too many b vitamins can be an issue? I’ve been taking the standard dose of energin (25 drops) and have been having serotonin like symptoms that didn’t happen when only taking 12 drops. Could it be the 100mg of b3?
Yeh it can be. This is why I do not like high dose B-complexes of any kind. For starters they can increase cholinergic activity too much, but this is dependent on the individual. I have high histamine so I cannot tolerate anything that drastically raises Ach synthesis or increases Ach sensitivity. Niacinamide has also been shown to increases serotonin. The dose in the study below was 100mg. Too much cholinergic activity and serotonergic activity both decrease glutamate activity especially NMDA activity.

Some people lack cholinergic activity so this does not apply for everyone. But usually its the total amount of choline in their diet is way too low that is the problem and not the lack of Bs. Unless they eat too many empty sugars.

They sell 100% RDA B-complexes which will likely not be as strong an effect. Again, it depends on your own body. Some people have too much Ach activity which lowers glutamatergic, noradrenergic, dopaminergic activity while some people have too little. You need to experiment and see what works for you.

Ben.

I'd look at supplements as something that adresses specific conditions/situations rather than this "need to take it everyday" kind of thing.

Altough to be honest, a daily vitamin b-complex in 2019 caused my eyes to be deep blue for 1-2 days ... that was quite amazing ... to bad it caused nausea taking it daily and the blue colour reverted back to greyblueish. Its also freaky to have neon-yellow pee ... Coudn't replicate it tho.

aniciete

Yeh it can be. This is why I do not like high dose B-complexes of any kind. For starters they can increase cholinergic activity too much, but this is dependent on the individual. I have high histamine so I cannot tolerate anything that drastically raises Ach synthesis or increases Ach sensitivity. Niacinamide has also been shown to increases serotonin. The dose in the study below was 100mg. Too much cholinergic activity and serotonergic activity both decrease glutamate activity especially NMDA activity.

Some people lack cholinergic activity so this does not apply for everyone. But usually its the total amount of choline in their diet is way too low that is the problem and not the lack of Bs. Unless they eat too many empty sugars.

They sell 100% RDA B-complexes which will likely not be as strong an effect. Again, it depends on your own body. Some people have too much Ach activity which lowers glutamatergic, noradrenergic, dopaminergic activity while some people have too little. You need to experiment and see what works for you.

Thank you for the information, I didn’t realize 100mg could have such an effect on serotonin when so many people on here take 500mg+ doses. I will try reducing the energin to just 5 drops which has about the rda values of b1,b2,b3,b5,b6.

Peatful

Ive been supplement free for over two, possibly three years now.

Glad to see this thread.

Eating robustly. Being outdoors. Being happy. Being grateful. Not micro-analyzing my diet nor my life.

Nothing profound.
Just the least stressed (organism) leads to a better everything.

youngsinatra

Took my typical high dose of thiamin HCL (2 x 1 gram) the last 2 days, out of curiosity.

Did not feel that good. Felt pretty sleepy, muscle weakness, blank mind, lack of enthusiasm and literally really depressed. I really wanted to just chug a lot of coffee to feel some adrenergic stimulation.

Last night (silvester) I got to a party where I smoked a cigar with a few people and it just pushed me even further into high acetylcholine.

It faded over the course of the evening and my mental state returned to joyful, happy, enthusiastic and with good social connection.

I have had a few people PM me with major issues related to histamine/acetylcholine excess that did not make sense to me at first. Later I found it they are taking massive doses of thiamine, which dramatically increases cholinergic activity and especially in susceptible individuals (those prone to high Ach activity), they can deal with all these issues related to excessive cholinergic activity. This includes light sleep, insomnia, itchiness, muscle weakness, fatigue. Mental symptoms include depression, spaciness and passive like behavior, poor motivation. Excessive cholinergic activity is expected to reduce glutamatergic (especially NMDA), and noradrenergic activity, leading to muscle weakness and mental symptoms.

B1 is thought to possibly cause B6 deficiency. I thought this as well and I am still kind of on the fence with it. But it seems like the reason supplementing B6 counteracts symptoms from excess B1 quite quickly is because it dramatically increases GABA and serotonin levels, increasing their activity at synapses and which quickly reduces cholinergic activity.

Users here really need to be aware especially if they are prone to these kinds of issues. I wonder how many people currently deal with this and have no idea that B1 mega dosing is actually what is giving them this problem because it is way too encouraged here like it can do no wrong. It can and I am sure even now there are people who are doing more harm than good from taking it in high doses.

redsun

Took my typical high dose of thiamin HCL (2 x 1 gram) the last 2 days, out of curiosity.

Did not feel that good. Felt pretty sleepy, muscle weakness, blank mind, lack of enthusiasm and literally really depressed. I really wanted to just chug a lot of coffee to feel some adrenergic stimulation.

Last night (silvester) I got to a party where I smoked a cigar with a few people and it just pushed me even further into high acetylcholine.

It faded over the course of the evening and my mental state returned to joyful, happy, enthusiastic and with good social connection.
Yeh this is all expected. Ach is very important for so many functions but in excess it causes many problems especially mental symptoms.

I haven't taken any suppliments for the last year and feel better for it. Recently I have added in a half teaspoon of casacara sagrada two to three times a week, as well as gelatin, but that's it for me.

I'm.No.One

While I do take supplements I primarily use food based & nothing that's synthesized from "whole foods".

This has worked pretty well for me compared to the supplements I had been taking.

I'm mainly working with ancestral supplements so placenta/liver/bone marrow/fish eggs.

Then I work with various mushrooms but again mainly food based/edibles, nothing super TCM or rare. Turkey Tail/Lion's mane/Reishi.

I guess these are technically supplements, but to me they feel more like foods that help fill in gaps. It just feels different & my body responds differently.

Editing to say: I do actually need to use magnesium though, my stress levels are impressive & unavoidable so I burn it faster than I can get it from food sources. My sleep is sh!t if I don't take it.

Folks might also consider nourishing herbal infusions versus supplements too. Good way to deeply restore nutrient levels without swallowing a million pills a day.

P

Peatness

I would love to be supplement free for a while. I recall Peat saying a woman's blood pressure normalised after she stopped all her supplements.

@youngsinatra that was too much thiamine. That amount tanked you blood sugar, magnesium and probably other nutrients too. Also with thiamine you need to build up to the required dose. 2g is overkill

@Peatful please what is an average day meal plan for you?

youngsinatra

I would love to be supplement free for a while. I recall Peat saying a woman's blood pressure normalised after she stopped all her supplements.

@youngsinatra that was too much thiamine. That amount tanked you blood sugar, magnesium and probably other nutrients too. Also with thiamine you need to build up to the required dose. 2g is overkill

@Peatful please what is an average day meal plan for you?
I actually took 2-3 grams of B1 for a few months without any noticeable blood sugar issues. I also have a high intake of magnesium and potassium through dietary means.

For a long time I benefited from the increase in acetylcholine I think, because it opposed the sympathetic drive (excessive norepinephrine) that a copper excess caused.

I also took zinc, P5P and vitamin E which all help increase acetylcholine.