Red Light Therapy / LLLT Cures Hypothyroid?

So I came home like a zombie.

Went and shot up 10 mins of halogen light up my nose (new experiment).
Along with 1 minute of LGS1 into the thyroid.

Within an hour went outside walked over 3 miles hyper as all hell. The whole world turned around. People probably thought I was on meth. SCREW YOU, thyroid gland. It used to work like this on its own. I used to feel this great all the time, and now it's a rarity :(

I feel like I'm some kind of junkie waiting to get my next fix on light or whatever, except I'm not doing it to get high, I'm doing it just to get normal.

sirilynn

I dunno. I've been trying for years. So few things work and even if they do it's only temporary. Red light + nigella sativa oil had me feeling the best in years but the NSO lowers VEGF and as someone prone to baldness this absolutely murders my hair.

I'm really just trying to figure out if the gland is fried or not. If so, then I can just throw my hands up in the air until stem cell grown organs come, and cope to the best of my ability with temporary therapies.

However, I don' think it's the case. Given how well the gland responds to light and blackseed oil, it can't be all that damaged. Why doesn't the pituitary just put out more TSH to stimulate it further? It jist seems to me that the master glands (pituitary, hypothalamus) insist on a thyroid setpoint that is way too low for optimal health and refuse to change. That would explain it always reverting to normal and fighting against thyroid supplements.

This is probably an adaptation to my history of fasting and low calorie dieting which caused literally every single health problem I have right now. Unfortunately even after six years of trying I have made only so little progress. Diet supplements the whole 9 yards it might as well not even exist, they don't help. I've named the only two things that work and even those are just temporary, no long term healing seems to be taking place. At this point I'm just a desperate guy scouring the internet for anything that sounds hopeful, but all the information is so archaic and demotivating, with little hope in sight for someone like me.

I think your history of fasting and low calorie dieting has affected the way your body works, and I'm not sure exactly but it probably affected your metabolism and thyroid and made things worse. I talked to someone else who was doing a high protein diet or low calorie diet, and it affected their thyroid regulation and increased the hypothyroidism as well as could make metabolism worse. I don't know a lot since I've never changed my diet to be low cal, but in general, if you take less, your body goes into starvation mode which probably makes thyroid levels low since it tries to conserve what you have and not produce a lot since you aren't producing/consuming a lot of energy in general.

I'm not sure what you mean by fried or not? Your thyroid gland obviously works to some degree. It supplies all the thyroid hormones your body has. So it is working. However, if you need red light to activate your thyroid, it means that your thyroid isn't working that great naturally. Red light will make your thyroid work more. It will even get a "damaged" thyroid to work more. However, it's questionable if it is really fixing your thyroid long-term so it can function on its own. I mean there is one study and no follow-up study to say whether these people regressed or continued to live with the changes.

What are your TSH levels normally before you started changing your routine? What makes you think the issue is with your pituitary gland? Have you verified issues and thought process with a doctor? I'm not sure I follow what you think is not working. You said you need more TSH, but you have also said you have high TSH in the past. If you have high TSH, it means your pituitary gland is working. The pituitary gland is the one producing the TSH. However, your thyroid isn't responding to the TSH by producing more thyroid hormones. That means your thyroid has the issue. If you thyroid is working optimally, your thyroid would increase the thyroid hormones, and your pituitary gland would respond by lowering the TSH. If you continue to have high TSH on a daily basis, your thyroid gland doesn't respond to the high TSH levels by producing more thyroid hormones, and that's why you have low energy, brain fog, etc. It still sounds like a hypothyroid issue, not a pituitary gland issue. Also, if the red light works for you when used on your thyroid, it means you may be benefiting from the increased thyroid hormones and prefer the natural hormones compared to what is offered in a pill. You had a bunch of different experiments on the head and different places. I'm not sure which one worked the best for you and if it worked, why you can't continue to do them without continuing to get the same benefits?

Also, it's not clear why thyroid hormones don't work for you. How long have you taken the medication, and did you give it enough time for it to work where it actually raised your levels? Have you ever had labs where your TSH was low end of the range if not under the range? If you haven't, it's hard to say whether you have taken enough thyroid hormones. I'm just saying if thyroid medication doesn't work, how do you know your issue is with the thyroid and not something else that needs to be looked at?

sirilynn

So I came home like a zombie.

Went and shot up 10 mins of halogen light up my nose (new experiment).
Along with 1 minute of LGS1 into the thyroid.

Within an hour went outside walked over 3 miles hyper as all hell. The whole world turned around. People probably thought I was on meth. SCREW YOU, thyroid gland. It used to work like this on its own. I used to feel this great all the time, and now it's a rarity :(

I feel like I'm some kind of junkie waiting to get my next fix on light or whatever, except I'm not doing it to get high, I'm doing it just to get normal.
how long do the hyper symptoms last for?

that's what I'm saying about red light. there is no way to control the results and see how your body will respond since it's not a controlled environment/situation.

when did it work this way on your own? if you just want more thyroid hormones and more energy, perhaps there are other ways to achieve this than red light.

What are your TSH levels normally before you started changing your routine? What makes you think the issue is with your pituitary gland? Have you verified issues and thought process with a doctor? I'm not sure I follow what you think is not working. You said you need more TSH, but you have also said you have high TSH in the past. If you have high TSH, it means your pituitary gland is working. The pituitary gland is the one producing the TSH. However, your thyroid isn't responding to the TSH by producing more thyroid hormones. That means your thyroid has the issue. If you thyroid is working optimally, your thyroid would increase the thyroid hormones, and your pituitary gland would respond by lowering the TSH. If you continue to have high TSH on a daily basis, your thyroid gland doesn't respond to the high TSH levels by producing more thyroid hormones, and that's why you have low energy, brain fog, etc

You're going along with mainstream endocrinology which is a huge fail in treating any kind of gland disorder and doesn't even attempt to understand what it's treating. If I get diagnosed with 'primary hypothyroidism' at 20 years old (!) which translates to damaged thyroid gland, then I want to know where is the damage? I don't see it on ultrasound. Unless there is half a chunk of it torn out then I don't buy that it is so damaged that it just won't ever work properly for the rest of my life and that I need to become a slave to their nonsense unphysiological medication to live. If I ask them why the gland isn't working and what exactly is damaged and they tell me 'usually autoimmune disease' but in my case I don't have that, and they don't know the reason. Why would I accept treatment and medical advice from people who don't understand a disease any better than I do? Doesn't make any sense to me.

My TSH without treatment was 6-8. I had as low as 0.14 on various treatments and did not feel much better. Now without any treatment it is 3.57 (got it down with temperature hacks and drinking coffee for a long time). However my hormone levels are the same. If I have the same hormone levels at TSH 8 and 3.5 that means that the thyroid gland now needs far less TSH to produce the same amount of hormones, which means it has gotten HEALTHIER, but the hormone level is still TOO LOW. Now what doesn't add up with your explanation (and the doctors):

1) If the pituitary can just pump out more TSH why doesn't it do that to make the hormones go up?
2) IF the gland now works better and it only needs a TSH of 3.5 to maintain the same T4 level that needed TSH 8 before, why doesn't the pituitary keep the TSH at 8 to have an even higher level of hormones now?
3) Why does the pituitary KEEP REGULATING AROUND A LEVEL OF THYROID HORMONES THAT IS TOO LOW? (Ding ding, this is the elephant in the room)
4) Why when I took 75 mcg of synthroid I had a TSH of almost zero and the same amount of hormones that I have when I took NOTHING? See question 3.

Also, it's not clear why thyroid hormones don't work for you. How long have you taken the medication, and did you give it enough time for it to work where it actually raised your levels? Have you ever had labs where your TSH was low end of the range if not under the range? If you haven't, it's hard to say whether you have taken enough thyroid hormones. I'm just saying if thyroid medication doesn't work, how do you know your issue is with the thyroid and not something else that needs to be looked at?

I took Synthroid 50-75 mcg for a year. I took natural thyroid hormones for 6 months (Thiroyd from Thailand). I took cynomel for some time alone, and in combo with Synthroid. Synthetic T3 worked the best out of all the medications (because it is unbound by thyroglobulin and my body couldn't easily deactivate it like it did with the NDT). At best those meds made me feel hyper but never balanced and I still had a ton of symptoms. I also had to pay out of pocket for the T3 because docs wouldn't cover it saying it was unnecessary, so I did not see the point in continuing it.

when did it work this way on your own? if you just want more thyroid hormones and more energy, perhaps there are other ways to achieve this than red light.

Before I ruined my health with fasting. When I was 18. By the time I was 20 I was a zombie. There are none. Well, that I found. Other than nigella sativa oil. Nothing else increases my thyroid hormones to any noticeable degree. And I've tried plenty of stuff in 6 years.

how long do the hyper symptoms last for?

They're not hyper symptoms. They're normal energy levels for a 26 year old man, but coming from a brain-dead zombie state that I'm normally in, it feels hyper because I am no longer used to having adequate energy and I forgot what it means to even feel alive anymore. This state can last for up to 2 days of a single light session, and I feel better in EVERY SINGLE way. It's not unpleasant at all, it feels much healthier than what I usually feel like.

sirilynn

Before I ruined my health with fasting. When I was 18. By the time I was 20 I was a zombie. There are none. Well, that I found. Other than nigella sativa oil. Nothing else increases my thyroid hormones to any noticeable degree. And I've tried plenty of stuff in 6 years.

They're not hyper symptoms. They're normal energy levels for a 26 year old man, but coming from a brain-dead zombie state that I'm normally in, it feels hyper because I am no longer used to having adequate energy and I forgot what it means to even feel alive anymore. This state can last for up to 2 days of a single light session, and I feel better in EVERY SINGLE way. It's not unpleasant at all, it feels much healthier than what I usually feel like.
I misunderstood you. I guess you meant you felt hyper in a good way, not in a hyperthyroid way. If it lasts up to 2 days, that's pretty good. how about you just do this every 2 days and see if it makes permanent changes over a long period of time?

It does sound like you have low thyroid in general. It still sounds like you have low thyroid output from your thyroid and not low pituitary gland output. Your TSH seems to work. However, it doesn't make your thyroid increase the thyroid levels as it should.

You said:

Nothing else increases my thyroid hormones to any noticeable degree.

Even when you were hyperthyroid and took took much thyroid hormones, your thyroid levels did not increase? You should get a blood test after doing the red light and see how your thyroid levels are at, just out of curiosity. Then you would know what your thyroid levels are when you are feeling your best.

Your TSH seems to work, but your thyroid doesn't. Also, it seems you benefit from T3 so you don't convert the T4 to T3 that well. If your TSH is high and it doesn't increase your overall thyroid hormones, your thyroid is to blame, not the pituitary gland. The thyroid is supposed to respond to TSH, but in your case having high TSH doesn't motivate your thyroid to work hard to increase your thyroid levels. Your thyroid doesn't respond to TSH for whatever reason, but it does respond to red light. I think hypothyroidism is what you describe, low thyroid levels in spite of having high TSH levels. Yours might be typical hypothyroidism also due to dietary issues or low metabolism or other things.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Nitric oxide can bind to cytochrome c oxidase (Cox) in the mitochondria. Red and near-infrared light improves tissue metabolism by photodissociating nitric oxide from Cox.

That could be one mechanism.

Maybe red light is doing something positive for you beyond just helping your thyroid.

sirilynn

You're going along with mainstream endocrinology which is a huge fail in treating any kind of gland disorder and doesn't even attempt to understand what it's treating. If I get diagnosed with 'primary hypothyroidism' at 20 years old (!) which translates to damaged thyroid gland, then I want to know where is the damage? I don't see it on ultrasound. Unless there is half a chunk of it torn out then I don't buy that it is so damaged that it just won't ever work properly for the rest of my life and that I need to become a slave to their nonsense unphysiological medication to live. If I ask them why the gland isn't working and what exactly is damaged and they tell me 'usually autoimmune disease' but in my case I don't have that, and they don't know the reason. Why would I accept treatment and medical advice from people who don't understand a disease any better than I do? Doesn't make any sense to me.

My TSH without treatment was 6-8. I had as low as 0.14 on various treatments and did not feel much better. Now without any treatment it is 3.57 (got it down with temperature hacks and drinking coffee for a long time). However my hormone levels are the same. If I have the same hormone levels at TSH 8 and 3.5 that means that the thyroid gland now needs far less TSH to produce the same amount of hormones, which means it has gotten HEALTHIER, but the hormone level is still TOO LOW. Now what doesn't add up with your explanation (and the doctors):

1) If the pituitary can just pump out more TSH why doesn't it do that to make the hormones go up?
2) IF the gland now works better and it only needs a TSH of 3.5 to maintain the same T4 level that needed TSH 8 before, why doesn't the pituitary keep the TSH at 8 to have an even higher level of hormones now?
3) Why does the pituitary KEEP REGULATING AROUND A LEVEL OF THYROID HORMONES THAT IS TOO LOW? (Ding ding, this is the elephant in the room)
4) Why when I took 75 mcg of synthroid I had a TSH of almost zero and the same amount of hormones that I have when I took NOTHING? See question 3.

I took Synthroid 50-75 mcg for a year. I took natural thyroid hormones for 6 months (Thiroyd from Thailand). I took cynomel for some time alone, and in combo with Synthroid. Synthetic T3 worked the best out of all the medications (because it is unbound by thyroglobulin and my body couldn't easily deactivate it like it did with the NDT). At best those meds made me feel hyper but never balanced and I still had a ton of symptoms. I also had to pay out of pocket for the T3 because docs wouldn't cover it saying it was unnecessary, so I did not see the point in continuing it.
are you saying your TSH is 3.5 and your thyroid levels are the same now with no medication compared to when you took medication? When you took 75 mcg of Synthroid, it had no effect on your thyroid levels at all but your TSH was lowered? I have no idea why taking Synthroid did not increase your thyroid levels at all, and this is something your doctor is supposed to find the answer too. Have you talked to anyone and got a second opinion why no medication works for you? I think you have a problem with T3 and maybe fixing your thyroid would be the only way to have natural T3, if you can’t get T3 medication that worked for you.

Are saying your hacks only changing your TSH without changing your actual thyroid levels? Do you feel better with a lower TSH even though your thyroid levels haven’t changed?

Your TSH seems to work. However, it doesn't make your thyroid increase the thyroid levels as it should.

You almost get it here. Except you conclude that this HAS to be the thyroid's fault.

Here's an example of how this can not be the case:

Excess of beta-subunit of thyrotropin (TSH) in patients with idiopathic central hypothyroidism due to the secretion of TSH with reduced biological activity.

Ignoring the labels such as 'central' and 'primary' for a second, here we can see that the pituitary can put out a type of TSH that basically doesn't do the job of stimulating the thyroid adequately. So that is physiologically possible.

Even when you were hyperthyroid and took took much thyroid hormones, your thyroid levels did not increase? You should get a blood test after doing the red light and see how your thyroid levels are at, just out of curiosity. Then you would know what your thyroid levels are when you are feeling your best.

I was never hyperthyroid going by symptoms. I had a TSH of 0.14 on 3 grains of NDT. Perhaps I was a bit more energetic and positive, but I get better effects from 60 seconds of LGS1 light these days. And during that time, I still had all my symptoms - adrenaline overload, palpitations, non stop sweating, low quality hair and nails, weight gain etc. I feel much better overall nowadays when my TSH hovers around 3.5 - my implication here is that forcing your TSH low with thyroid hormone and being chock full of NDT doesn't mean you will feel good at all.

Yes, I should test my hormones during red light.

are you saying your TSH is 3.5 and your thyroid levels are the same now with no medication compared to when you took medication? When you took 75 mcg of Synthroid, it had no effect on your thyroid levels at all but your TSH was lowered? I have no idea why taking Synthroid did not increase your thyroid levels at all, and this is something your doctor is supposed to find the answer too. Have you talked to anyone and got a second opinion why no medication works for you? I think you have a problem with T3 and maybe fixing your thyroid would be the only way to have natural T3, if you can’t get T3 medication that worked for you.

My T4 levels usually hover between 100 - 110, whether or not I take the medication. The only thing the medications do is lower my TSH but the thyroid levels stay the same, which is perfectly understandable if you understand how the negative feedback loop of the pituitary works. That is literally what it is designed to do - maintain the same amount of hormones all the time by feedback between TSH and thyroid hormone levels - regardless of whether those levels are good or bad, sadly. All that happens when I take thyroid pills is that my pituitary senses the increase in hormones and downregulates my thyroid by more or less the exact same amount. This is exactly what happens to bodybuilders who take testosterone - their testes output less testosterone and over time they can atrophy. I don't know why it's so implausible that this concept transfers exactly to the thyroid. It transfers to every system that uses negative feedback for regulation. Something goes up and the other thing goes down so things stay in balance. The REAL problem is where the "balance" setpoint is set.

My doctors don't figure out ***t. They just look at the TSH lab numbers. They had me on synthroid when it was above 6, now that I've gotten it to 3.5 (which falls within their 'normal' range) through no help of theirs, of course, they took me off. They didn't even realize that I had not picked up my script for synthroid for over a year when I had that TSH 3.5 test. Neither did they wonder how I managed to lower my TSH without medication. They are just plain dumb and uninterested.

@MyUsernameHere Which halogen light do you use? And how far away do you place your red light to your thyroid when you expose it for a minute?

MAALOUF BROS | Bioptron Compact III

About 4 inches away as the light is rated at that distance so it makes energy calculations easy.

I am using the LGS1 again and after using it for a minute this morning, several hours later I came down with awful flu-like symptoms (mild temperature and every bone in my body hurting). A few months ago when I used it it was that burning throat thing. I had to sleep for 2 hours because I was just so damn tired. I'm still not fully OK. These lights seem to trigger these immune-like reactions for some reason. Doesn't happen with the halogen or infrared lights.

sirilynn

You almost get it here. Except you conclude that this HAS to be the thyroid's fault.

Here's an example of how this can not be the case:

Excess of beta-subunit of thyrotropin (TSH) in patients with idiopathic central hypothyroidism due to the secretion of TSH with reduced biological activity.

Ignoring the labels such as 'central' and 'primary' for a second, here we can see that the pituitary can put out a type of TSH that basically doesn't do the job of stimulating the thyroid adequately. So that is physiologically possible.

I was never hyperthyroid going by symptoms. I had a TSH of 0.14 on 3 grains of NDT. Perhaps I was a bit more energetic and positive, but I get better effects from 60 seconds of LGS1 light these days. And during that time, I still had all my symptoms - adrenaline overload, palpitations, non stop sweating, low quality hair and nails, weight gain etc. I feel much better overall nowadays when my TSH hovers around 3.5 - my implication here is that forcing your TSH low with thyroid hormone and being chock full of NDT doesn't mean you will feel good at all.

Yes, I should test my hormones during red light.

My T4 levels usually hover between 100 - 110, whether or not I take the medication. The only thing the medications do is lower my TSH but the thyroid levels stay the same, which is perfectly understandable if you understand how the negative feedback loop of the pituitary works. That is literally what it is designed to do - maintain the same amount of hormones all the time by feedback between TSH and thyroid hormone levels - regardless of whether those levels are good or bad, sadly. All that happens when I take thyroid pills is that my pituitary senses the increase in hormones and downregulates my thyroid by more or less the exact same amount. This is exactly what happens to bodybuilders who take testosterone - their testes output less testosterone and over time they can atrophy. I don't know why it's so implausible that this concept transfers exactly to the thyroid. It transfers to every system that uses negative feedback for regulation. Something goes up and the other thing goes down so things stay in balance. The REAL problem is where the "balance" setpoint is set.
My doctors don't figure out ***t. They just look at the TSH lab numbers. They had me on synthroid when it was above 6, now that I've gotten it to 3.5 (which falls within their 'normal' range) through no help of theirs, of course, they took me off. They didn't even realize that I had not picked up my script for synthroid for over a year when I had that TSH 3.5 test. Neither did they wonder how I managed to lower my TSH without medication. They are just plain dumb and uninterested.

About the black seed oil, how much have you been taking and in what form? Has it made a big difference in your energy levels? It says that black seed oils helps with T3 production and thyroid tissue repair:

Black Cumin Seed Oil and Hashimoto's Disease - Functional Medicine

You should try curcurmin extract 500 mcg and see if it helps with the energy and mental clarity. I just started taking this and seems it is helping. Also try resveratrol 1200 mcg. It's supposed to help with thyroid issues.

TSH is much more sensitive than T3/T4. You can have the same T3/T4 levels and very different TSH levels. TSH is supposed to fluctuate a lot more than T3/T4. I've had labs with exactly the same T3/T4 numbers but very different TSH numbers. That's why you said you had exactly the same T3/T4 levels after your hacks but lower TSH levels. That's why they want to look at not only T3 and T4, but also TSH levels. Because your brain knows how much T3 and T4 you need it will adjust the TSH based on what it thinks it needs even though the thyroid may not respond to the TSH.

About the black seed oil, how much have you been taking and in what form? Has it made a big difference in your energy levels? It says that black seed oils helps with T3 production and thyroid tissue repair:

Black Cumin Seed Oil and Hashimoto's Disease - Functional Medicine

You should try curcurmin extract 500 mcg and see if it helps with the energy and mental clarity. I just started taking this and seems it is helping. Also try resveratrol 1200 mcg. It's supposed to help with thyroid issues.

TSH is much more sensitive than T3/T4. You can have the same T3/T4 levels and very different TSH levels. TSH is supposed to fluctuate a lot more than T3/T4. I've had labs with exactly the same T3/T4 numbers but very different TSH numbers. That's why you said you had exactly the same T3/T4 levels after your hacks but lower TSH levels. That's why they want to look at not only T3 and T4, but also TSH levels. Because your brain knows how much T3 and T4 you need it will adjust the TSH based on what it thinks it needs even though the thyroid may not respond to the TSH.

A mere teaspoon of oil. It's made a big difference especially in combo with the red lights.. Unfortunately as good as I felt on it, due to it reducing VEGF and the oscillating thyroid levels it absolutely murdered my hair (I'm battling hair loss on the side) - so it's a no go until I can isolate those two from one another somehow.

More stopgap supplements that stop working once you stop taking them?

My TSH has been stable at around 3.57 for over year now. I've had the exact same measurement taken exactly one year apart. It's not a fluke. And the hormone levels are the same as when it was 6.20.

After using the LGS1 and the IR MINI on my thyroid for some time (at the same distance and time length) I can tell you that these lights have different effects, and using one or the other alone does not lead to optimal results! Here's my experience:

Infrared Light Mini / LGS8
This light uses the classic wavelength supported by plenty of thyroid studies (830) and one weird wavelength (760) which does not seem to have so much evidence behind it.

What it does when used properly: Increases overall thyroid function (production of T4 and inter-thyroid conversion of T4 to T3)
Overuse (or side effects): When consecutively using this light for up to 5 days I experience what feels like a lump in my throat - it becomes difficult to speak, it feels like my voice box is under pressure and my tongue and mouth feel all weird and I feel like I have to exert great effort just to speak normally. This is weird, and I believe this is a result of the thyroid gland enlarging and storing excess amounts of produced hormones within itself, which can happen from the IR light if the thyroid hormones do not get released at an adequate rate.

Red Light Device Mini / LGS1
This light uses a broad spectrum of visible wavelengths which do not seem very popular in thyroid research and are underrepresented without any obvious reason why. There are maybe a handful studies representing these wavelengths.

What it does when used properly: The main benefit of this light seems to be promotion of rapid release of stored hormones from the thyroid gland, leading to a huge burst of energy and well-being which can last up to a whole day.
Overuse (or side effects): Using this light consecutively for several days seems to lose most of its benefits. I believe this is because in a similar dose as the IR mini it does not so much promote the increased synthesis of hormones but merely their release, and once the thyroid gland is emptied up it no longer shows much effect. Additionally it seems to be able to cause various immune-like responses and inflammation of the throat area when overused (but not in amounts of less than 1-2 minutes).

The big picture: I noticed these differing effects because for a long time I was using the IR light mini on its own and experienced a subtle increase of well-being throughout the day. For kicks I tried to use the LGS1 one day instead for the same amount of time (1 minute at ~4 inches distance) and within 2 hours I was swimming in energy, well-being, positivty, just being allround hyperactive. I thought this light must work way better, but when I did this consecutively for a few days, I noticed I was feeling progressively worse and there was no more energy or well-being, instead I was just flatlining and being more and more tired and hypothyroid. This is when I concluded that the light only had this effect because it released the build up of hormones that the IR light has caused over the past week. And after returning home after 3 days of draining myself with the LGS1, I used the IR mini instead, and slowly started feeling better as the thyroid synthesis increased again.

My protocol for now with these lights will be to use the IR Light Mini and the LGS1 on alternating days, until I find an ideal frequency of promoting thyroid hormone synthesis and release. That may be alternating days, or it may need more Infrared Light and then using the LGS1 only every few days or not. We will see. But in short, it seems that neither of these lights delivers the optimal thyroid function when used on its own, which makes me wonder if using a broad-spectrum halogen light isn't simpler and easier on a daily basis which would contain all these wavelengths. To be continued.

x-ray peat

After using the LGS1 and the IR MINI on my thyroid for some time (at the same distance and time length) I can tell you that these lights have different effects, and using one or the other alone does not lead to optimal results! Here's my experience:

Infrared Light Mini / LGS8
This light uses the classic wavelength supported by plenty of thyroid studies (830) and one weird wavelength (760) which does not seem to have so much evidence behind it.

What it does when used properly: Increases overall thyroid function (production of T4 and inter-thyroid conversion of T4 to T3)
Overuse (or side effects): When consecutively using this light for up to 5 days I experience what feels like a lump in my throat - it becomes difficult to speak, it feels like my voice box is under pressure and my tongue and mouth feel all weird and I feel like I have to exert great effort just to speak normally. This is weird, and I believe this is a result of the thyroid gland enlarging and storing excess amounts of produced hormones within itself, which can happen from the IR light if the thyroid hormones do not get released at an adequate rate.

Red Light Device Mini / LGS1
This light uses a broad spectrum of visible wavelengths which do not seem very popular in thyroid research and are underrepresented without any obvious reason why. There are maybe a handful studies representing these wavelengths.

What it does when used properly: The main benefit of this light seems to be promotion of rapid release of stored hormones from the thyroid gland, leading to a huge burst of energy and well-being which can last up to a whole day.
Overuse (or side effects): Using this light consecutively for several days seems to lose most of its benefits. I believe this is because in a similar dose as the IR mini it does not so much promote the increased synthesis of hormones but merely their release, and once the thyroid gland is emptied up it no longer shows much effect. Additionally it seems to be able to cause various immune-like responses and inflammation of the throat area when overused (but not in amounts of less than 1-2 minutes).

The big picture: I noticed these differing effects because for a long time I was using the IR light mini on its own and experienced a subtle increase of well-being throughout the day. For kicks I tried to use the LGS1 one day instead for the same amount of time (1 minute at ~4 inches distance) and within 2 hours I was swimming in energy, well-being, positivty, just being allround hyperactive. I thought this light must work way better, but when I did this consecutively for a few days, I noticed I was feeling progressively worse and there was no more energy or well-being, instead I was just flatlining and being more and more tired and hypothyroid. This is when I concluded that the light only had this effect because it released the build up of hormones that the IR light has caused over the past week. And after returning home after 3 days of draining myself with the LGS1, I used the IR mini instead, and slowly started feeling better as the thyroid synthesis increased again.

My protocol for now with these lights will be to use the IR Light Mini and the LGS1 on alternating days, until I find an ideal frequency of promoting thyroid hormone synthesis and release. That may be alternating days, or it may need more Infrared Light and then using the LGS1 only every few days or not. We will see. But in short, it seems that neither of these lights delivers the optimal thyroid function when used on its own, which makes me wonder if using a broad-spectrum halogen light isn't simpler and easier on a daily basis which would contain all these wavelengths. To be continued.
thanks for the write up..Interesting results. Just a couple of thoughts come to mind. Generally people have the most success with lllt when not using their lights everyday. Remember there is a biphasic response and I think you demonstrated what happens when you go overboard. The LGS8 with the 830 nm wavelength gave you a good response at first and I would just use that light but not as much. Perhaps every other day or every third day. Researchers like Michael Hamblin dont think that the lower wavelengths can penetrate to deeper tissues and are more appropriate for skin issues.

sirilynn

A mere teaspoon of oil. It's made a big difference especially in combo with the red lights.. Unfortunately as good as I felt on it, due to it reducing VEGF and the oscillating thyroid levels it absolutely murdered my hair (I'm battling hair loss on the side) - so it's a no go until I can isolate those two from one another somehow.

More stopgap supplements that stop working once you stop taking them?

My TSH has been stable at around 3.57 for over year now. I've had the exact same measurement taken exactly one year apart. It's not a fluke. And the hormone levels are the same as when it was 6.20.
Do you feel the same or better when your hormone levels haven't changed? If your TSH has changed, perhaps your hormones are slightly different but not detectable but only can be detected through the TSH difference.

No, curcurmin will stimulate TSH and increase your energy. Higher TSH will rebuild your thyroid. The theory is having higher TSH encourages the mechanism for your thyroid to grow and regenerate. TSH is supposed to stimulate the thyroid, however your TSH doesn't motivate your thyroid. Try curcurmin. It's like an energy pill gives you an instant boost in mental clarity and energy and almost no side effects. I'm finding it's very powerful. I will try resveratrol next, but it is supposed to be potent too and will rebuild thryoid tissue with no downfalls. I will let the curcurmin do its thing and after a few weeks add the resveratrol to it. If you are sensitive to things like me, you may notice a difference.

Jamo77

MyUsernameHere

Great stuff and indeed please keep us posted. At first when using Infrared I regained the ability to laugh and cry (helped my dissociative flattened personality). I used it on kidneys and liver. I felt more body heat too. I have noticed days I use infrared on an organ for a minute then redlight device after to be more advantageous. Would love to try that black oil but i have lost a heap of hair the past 5 years and don't want to lose anymore. I use regenpure and done the cutler protocol - i am sure they have helped halt things recently. All so early though and lots more experimentation needed with these light devices.

Daniel11

Forum Supporter
Sorry if this has already been mentioned and I'm just speculating but I wonder if red light through the nasal passages could reach the pituitary glad better than through the skull? I thought of that because that's the route taken for pituitary surgery. Maybe @Daniel11 might have some thoughts on this type of use for red light? I've seen some red light laser pointers that look like they would work. Perhaps it might be worth researching further.
FWIW here is an article on intranasal light therapy.
Intranasal light therapy device for brain stimulation is released
Here's an example of something currently on the market for intranasal light therapy. I've never used this product and have no affiliation with the company selling it- I just thought it looked interesting!
Vielight Intranasal Light Therapy Device - 633 Red, 655 Prime or 810 Infrared
There's some talk about red laser pointers in this post but it's old so the links no longer seem to work.

I hope you're able to get this sorted out @MyUsernameHere!

I did this nasal one for quite awhile, getting the orange/red light through the open eyes and on the belly areas works much better, of course don't use a laser for eyes only LED lights.

Daniel11

Forum Supporter
@Daniel11 thank you:) would 50cm length be a better option? Red light man recommended me this particular product for wrinkles, hair loss and thyroid..how would you use it? I can't afford to buy another red light atm. Thank you.

I think the way you have been doing sound great and most important is its helping you feel good, when you have chance i think getting that orange/red light and using through the eyes about 4" from nose, keep eyes open for 1-8 min. And on forehead and temples can be very nice and relaxing and beneficial, i like directly on the skin or 1"-3" away each location 3-5 min.

Daniel11

Forum Supporter
Im thinking hydrogen water would go very well with red light therapy, i heard a talk about its benefits, making hydrogen water at home seems like the most easy and effective way to get extra hydrogen in to the body. The PEM technology hydrogen water generators look good, some of the small one bottle units out there can make a H2 concentration of 1.5 ppm in a liter of water in about 5 minuets.

I noticed one of the spectral emission lines of hydrogen was 656 nm (visible red light) right in the sweet spot for photobiomodulation, i don't know if there is any correlation to hydrogens beneficial actions with in the body, its a long stretch i know, but i thought it was interesting.

“The MHI website contains the latest research and scientific publications on hydrogen therapy including cell, animal, and human studies.”

Molecular Hydrogen Institute

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals