LLLT Using A Helmet-type Device For The Treatment Of Androgenetic Alopecia

Mito

Abstract
Introduction: Androgenetic alopecia is the most common form of hair loss in both sexes. In recent studies, low-level light therapy (LLLT) has been established as an effective treatment for alopecia. The purpose of this study was to evaluate the safety and efficacy of LLLT using a new helmet-type device for the treatment of androgenetic alopecia.

Method: A randomized, sham device-controlled, double-blind clinical trial was conducted at 2 institutions. Sixty participants diagnosed with androgenetic alopecia aged from 19 to 65 years were recruited. LLLT was performed through a helmet-type device that emitted light with a mean output power of 2.36 mW/cm at a wavelength of 655 nm. Participants were divided into 2 groups, which respectively used the experimental device and a sham device. After tattooing at the central point of the vertex, phototrichograms at that point were obtained at 0, 8, and 16 weeks. The primary endpoint of the study was the difference in the rate of change of hair density between the test group and the control group.

Results: Comparing the results at baseline and week 16, the experimental group showed an increase in hair density of 41.90 hairs/cm and an increase in hair thickness of 7.50 μm, whereas the control group showed an increase of 0.72 hairs/cm and a decrease of 15.03 μm, respectively (P < .001). No adverse events or side effects occurred.

Conclusion: LLLT showed a significant effect on increasing hair density in patients with androgenetic alopecia. LLLT could be a safe and effective treatment for androgenetic alopecia in both sexes.

Low-level light therapy using a helmet-type device for the treatment of androgenetic alopecia: A 16-week, multicenter, randomized, double-blind, sham device-controlled trial - PubMed

OP
Mito

Mito

“Participants were randomly divided into 2 groups, which respectively used the experimental and sham helmet-type devices at home (Fig. 1). The experimental group was treated using a device containing a combination of a medical laser device and a low-level light irradiation device, composed of 21 LDs (wavelength, 655 ± 5 nm; mean output, 1.094 mW) and 30 LEDs (wavelength, 655 ± 20 nm; output, 1.75 mW). The sham device emitted only red therapeutic light from LED bulbs that were coated with red paint. The experimental devices emitted light with a mean output power of 2.56 mW/cm2 at a wavelength of 655 nm, and the control group was treated with a mean output power of 0 mW/cm2 (Table 2). Both devices were applied to the hair, including the area to be measured, for 25 minutes once every other day over the course of 16 weeks (in total: 56 times and 1,400 minutes). Before initiating the study, tattooing with blue dye was done at the central point of the vertex, as a reference point for accurate scalp measurements.”

rei

RED LED at 660nm has obvious fascia energizing properties. Energized tissue is relaxed, which reduces tension and allows for better circulation and less stress on the scalp.

I can't use anything in the 660 nm spectrum on my head for any length of time.

Causes me to feel 'strange' mentally and ruins my sleep - I wake up after only 5 hours, eyes burning and tired, yet mind strangely awake, unable to fall asleep anymore.

I've tried tinkering with dosage, duration, power, to no avail.

Funniest thing I have no idea how it even affects the brain, it would have to get through the skull - or maybe it is a systemic effect via the bloodstream.

I used this light:

Amazon product ASIN B071Z12H67View: https://www.amazon.com/ABI-Booster-Flowering-Spectrum-Enhancement/dp/B071Z12H67/ref=sr_1_6?crid=2G32BL80PXOFE&dchild=1&keywords=abi+led+660nm+red+light+bulb&qid=1625348008&sprefix=abi+660%2Caps%2C261&sr=8-6

Mossy

Anyone use one of these?

I have one from OMG and am going to start back up.
I had the largest quantity helmet OMG offered and used it for about 1.5 years. I feel it was effective in maintaining hair and color, but not regrowth. If budget allowed I would've kept it. I do wonder though about the heat aspect, as discussed elsewhere on this forum. That you may want to minimize the prolonged heat exposure from the LEDs, in an effort to avoid exactly what you're trying to reverse―fibrosis.

Progesterone

I had the largest quantity helmet OMG offered and used it for about 1.5 years. I feel it was effective in maintaining hair and color, but not regrowth. If budget allowed I would've kept it. I do wonder though about the heat aspect, as discussed elsewhere on this forum. That you may want to minimize the prolonged heat exposure from the LEDs, in an effort to avoid exactly what you're trying to reverse―fibrosis.

So it worked for you for maintenance for sure, but you sold it cause you needed money?

When do used it, what was the time and frequency?

Mossy

So it worked for you for maintenance for sure, but you sold it cause you needed money?

When do used it, what was the time and frequency?
My anecdotal experience is that it did maintain the hair I had, and I believe also helped retain the color as I aged.

Yes, the only reason I sold it was for need of money.

I used it 3 times a week, every other day, at 20 minutes a session. I also used emu oil prior to each session, with the understanding that it would help with penetration of the light.

Throughout that 1.5 years I did take some small breaks, of 2-3 weeks, periodically.

Progesterone

My anecdotal experience is that it did maintain the hair I had, and I believe also helped retain the color as I aged.

Yes, the only reason I sold it was for need of money.

I used it 3 times a week, every other day, at 20 minutes a session. I also used emu oil prior to each session, with the understanding that it would help with penetration of the light.

Throughout that 1.5 years I did take some small breaks, of 2-3 weeks, periodically.

Thanks!

Why not buy another one...?

Mossy

Progesterone

You’re welcome.

I still don’t have the budget for it. But, maybe one day soon.

Did you use it EVERY OTHER DAY mostly... or at least 3 times a week?

just checking if I should do it every other day indefinitely or take 2 days off sometimes..

Mossy

Did you use it EVERY OTHER DAY mostly... or at least 3 times a week?

just checking if I should do it every other day indefinitely or take 2 days off sometimes..
3 times a week, not indefinitely. So, you will have a 2 days off segment in a given week.

Mossy

My anecdotal experience is that it did maintain the hair I had...
@Progesterone
As I was sitting here using my low-budget reptile red LED light, it occurred to me that maybe I should clarify that when I say that the OMG helmet helped me to retain the hair I had, that was when I was using the helmet. I have since lost more hair, after years of not using it. Mabe that was assumed already, but I thought worth mentioning.

Last edited:

Progesterone

@Progesterone
As I was sitting here using my low-budget reptile red LED light, it occurred to me that maybe I should clarify that when I say that the OMG helmet helped me to retain the hair I had, that was when I was using the helmet. I have since lost more hair, after years of not using it. Mabe that was assumed already, but I thought worth mentioning.

Yes sir!

I was a bit iffy on using it as I don't want to LOSE hair or make it worse....

So it helped your hair for sure, that's great news!

LukeL

I am selling my Over Macho Grande laser helmet for hair loss! DM me if you’re interested

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals