Daily Intake Of Alfalfa Sprouts, But Not Broccoli Sprouts, Increase DHT Levels

Lokzo

Forum Supporter
Objectives: Dihydrotestosterone (DHT) is known as the main cause of androgenetic alopecia (AGA). We previously reported that sulforaphane (SFN), a compound
extracted from broccoli, promotes hair regeneration in ob/ob mice by lowering plasma DHT levels. The aim of this study was to assess whether SFN could decrease
plasma DHT in human.

Methods: We conducted a randomized, double-blind trial to evaluate the effect of SFN on participants following oral intake of SFN-rich broccoli sprouts compared
with alfalfa sprouts (control). Eighty-seven healthy male participants between the ages of 30 and 60 years were divided into two groups: broccoli or alfalfa sprouts
daily intake for one month. Serum testosterone and DHT were determined before and after intervention.

Results: Sixty-eight males were enrolled; 34 in the broccoli sprouts group and 34 in the alfalfa sprouts group. Neither testosterone nor DHT levels were decreased in the broccoli sprouts group. While in the alfalfa sprouts group, testosterone, free testosterone and DHT levels were significantly increased. The change in DHT level of the alfalfa sprouts group was significantly greater than in the broccoli group.

Conclusions: We conducted the study to observe the effect of broccoli sprouts on plasma androgen levels, but there was no effect of broccoli sprouts. We showed that
oral alfalfa sprouts, but not broccoli sprouts, intake could increase plasma androgen levels in males. Alfalfa sprouts intake can be expected to prevent male late onset hypogonadism (LOH). Further research is needed to reveal whether oral SFN (broccoli sprouts) intake can result in improved AGA.

https://www.oatext.com/pdf/JTS-5-283.pdf

mrchibbs

Sprouts are fascinating. Ray has said that they are a complete protein and a good food. And there is so much variety.

I used to eat a lot of them raw when I was vegan, but the best way is probably to sprout and then cook them in a broth.

Broccoli sprouts are some of the most expensive, as I recall, and alfafa is basically the most common.

This type of research is sorely missing, as is the research on the amino acids in fruits.

Michael Mohn

I wouldn't touch alfalfa with a ten foot pole. Very estrogenic, can cause miscarriage in pregnant lambs.

Mauritio

I wouldn't touch alfalfa with a ten foot pole. Very estrogenic, can cause miscarriage in pregnant lambs.
Are they ? DHT is one of the strongest estrogen antagonists, so that wouldn't be logical. And if they were estrogenic , I doubt peat would talk so positively about them.

Inaut

Sprouts and full grown plants are very different animals...I don't have any studies to prove this but this has always been my understanding. I guess my poor example would be eggs and chickens.

GenericName86

I used to love alfalfa sprouts as a kid although I've heard apparently eating them raw can put you at risk from E coli. no idea how much truth there is to that, I never had a problem with them.

Hans

Forum Supporter
Alfalfa sprouts contain large amounts of the isoflavone formononetin, which is a phytoestrogen also found in red clover.

Mauritio

Alfalfa sprouts contain large amounts of the isoflavone formononetin, which is a phytoestrogen also found in red clover.
It still increases T and Dht so I wonder what the net effect is .

Michael Mohn

Do you have a source on that? I would be interested to see it.

Have a read and tell us your verdict.

Fertility of Herbivores Consuming
Phytoestrogen-Containing Medicago and
Trifolium Species
K. F. M. Reed

Attachments

• agriculture-06-00035.pdf
    533.1 KB · Views: 25

Hans

Forum Supporter
It still increases T and Dht so I wonder what the net effect is .
True. It does come down to quantity as well. Phytoestrogens don't increase estrogen, but acts like estrogen, but I'd rather be interested to see the long term effect of it. Sheep who eat a whole bunch of red clover get all kinds of issues, but it's because they consume so much of it.
But regardless, Peat also mentioned that chronic low exposure to estrogen is worse than high acute doses.

Michael Mohn

Are they ? DHT is one of the strongest estrogen antagonists, so that wouldn't be logical. And if they were estrogenic , I doubt peat would talk so positively about them.

Where does Peat talk positively about any legume? The phytoestrogen content can vary widely and I assume that alfalfa for human consumption might have lower content. High content is due to nutrient deficiency of the plant.

Mauritio

True. It does come down to quantity as well. Phytoestrogens don't increase estrogen, but acts like estrogen, but I'd rather be interested to see the long term effect of it. Sheep who eat a whole bunch of red clover get all kinds of issues, but it's because they consume so much of it.
But regardless, Peat also mentioned that chronic low exposure to estrogen is worse than high acute doses.
Yeah seems like it's a mixed bag . I'll wait for the next hyped peat approved super food :D

kaybb

I gave up sprouts assuming Peat wouldn’t recommend them. Does he talk positively about broccoli sprouts or others?

Ras

How do we explain the results of the OP's study in light of the information you posted?

Mauritio

Hans

Forum Supporter
How do we explain the results of the OP's study in light of the information you posted?
The phytoestrogen content is most likely too low to inhibit testosterone or the alfalfa contains compounds that boost T and DHT directly to combat the effect of the phytoestrogens. This study was only 30 days, so it will be interesting to see long term effects.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals