Red Light Therapy / LLLT Cures Hypothyroid?

Daniel11

Forum Supporter
You've probably said this somewhere but how long do you shine the light on your testes for? Also how close is the light?

With the light i use, the red light device mini, i hold the light against the skin of the testes for 8-10 min, sometimes for comfort i will place the light .5" -1" away. The light needs to be moved a few times during the session to be able to cover all the areas of the testes, its most comfortable to do this lying down and hold the light between the legs or on a pillow that way you do not have to hold light in your hands the whole time.

With the light i use, the red light device mini, i hold the light against the skin of the testes for 8-10 min, sometimes for comfort i will place the light .5" -1" away. The light needs to be moved a few times during the session to be able to cover all the areas of the testes, its most comfortable to do this lying down and hold the light between the legs or on a pillow that way you do not have to hold light in your hands the whole time.

man, that sounds damaging. Heat shock proteins are created, it is a lot of energy and heat. I do this for 30 to 60 seconds. Maybe that's not long enough but I feel it heating my balls up and I'm not happy about that.

Daniel11

Forum Supporter
W
man, that sounds damaging. Heat shock proteins are created, it is a lot of energy and heat. I do this for 30 to 60 seconds. Maybe that's not long enough but I feel it heating my balls up and I'm not happy about that.

I have been doing 3-5 times a week for many months, i feel great and very strong. Many different cultures like the Japanese soak in hot springs of 115 to 125 degrees weekly and live long prosperous lives.

W

I have been doing 3-5 times a week for many months, i feel great and very strong. Many different cultures like the Japanese soak in hot springs of 115 to 125 degrees weekly and live long prosperous lives.

well quite frankly there are dangers to soaking in water that warm. I would not recommend even a few minutes if you perceive heat. I have the Red Light Man Red Light Device which is 100 watts and I use this, and another light, but not minutes at a time.

Single, Mild, Transient Scrotal Heat Stress Causes Hypoxia and Oxidative Stress in Mouse Testes, Which Induces Germ Cell Death 1 | Biology of Reproduction | Oxford Academic

Spermatogenesis is a temperature-dependent process, and increases in scrotal temperature can disrupt its progression. We previously showed that heat stress causes DNA damage in germ cells, an increase in germ cell death (as seen on TUNEL staining), and subfertility. The present study evaluated the stress response in mouse testes following a single mild transient scrotal heat exposure (40°C or 42°C for 30 min). We investigated markers of three types of stress response, namely, hypoxia, oxidative stress, and apoptosis. Heat stress caused an increase in expression of hypoxia-inducible factor 1 alpha (Hif1a) mRNA expression and translocation of HIF1A protein to the germ cell nucleus, consistent with hypoxic stress. Increased expression of heme oxygenase 1 (Hmox1) and the antioxidant enzymes glutathione peroxidase 1 (GPX1) and glutathione S-transferase alpha (GSTA) was consistent with a robust oxidative stress response. Germ cell death was associated with an increase in expression of the effector caspase cleaved caspase 3 and a decrease in expression of the protein inhibitor of caspase-activated DNase (ICAD). Reduced expression of ICAD contributes to increased activity of caspase-activated DNase and is consistent with the increased rates of DNA fragmentation that have been detected previously using TUNEL staining. These studies confirmed that transient mild testicular hyperthermia results in temperature-dependent germ cell death and demonstrated that elevated temperature results in a complex stress response, including induction of genes associated with oxidative stress and hypoxia.

A morphological study on Leydig cells of scrotal hyperthermia applied rats in short-term

Testicular function is highly dependent on temperature control. The aim of this study was designed to investigate the morphological changes and regulation of steroidogenesis by light and electron microscopic level in Leydig cells (LC) after scrotal hyperthermia in rats. The rats were randomly allotted into one of four experimental groups: A (Control), B (1 day after scrotal hyperthermia), C (14 days after scrotal hyperthermia), D (35 days after scrotal hyperthermia); each group contain seven animals. Scrotal hyperthermia was carried out in a thermostatically controlled water bath at 43°C for 30 min once daily for 6 consecutive days. Control rats were treated in the same way, except the testes were immersed in a water bath maintained at 22°C. Hyperthermia applied rats were sacrificed under 50 mg/kg ketamine anaesthesia after 1, 14 and 35 days, and biopsy materials of testis were obtained for light and electron microscopic examinations. To date, no histopathological changes of LC injury after scrotal hyperthermia in rats have been reported. Light microscopic examinations indicated increase degenerative LC, decrease in number of testosterone positive LC in interstitial area after scrotal hyperthermia in short-term. In scrotal hyperthermia, a dilated smooth endoplasmic reticulum, swollen mitochondria, and vanished mitochondrial cristae were observed. The nuclei of some LC displayed deep invaginations and irregular outlines. The number of lipid droplets was very considerably increased in most LC when compared to control group. As a conclusion, we claim that temperatures higher than the body temperature may cause infertility by damaging LC.

Makrosky

Why press it against the skin and generate unnecessary heat if it works the same at a safe distance ?

Daniel11

Forum Supporter
well quite frankly there are dangers to soaking in water that warm. I would not recommend even a few minutes if you perceive heat. I have the Red Light Man Red Light Device which is 100 watts and I use this, and another light, but not minutes at a time.

Single, Mild, Transient Scrotal Heat Stress Causes Hypoxia and Oxidative Stress in Mouse Testes, Which Induces Germ Cell Death 1 | Biology of Reproduction | Oxford Academic

Spermatogenesis is a temperature-dependent process, and increases in scrotal temperature can disrupt its progression. We previously showed that heat stress causes DNA damage in germ cells, an increase in germ cell death (as seen on TUNEL staining), and subfertility. The present study evaluated the stress response in mouse testes following a single mild transient scrotal heat exposure (40°C or 42°C for 30 min). We investigated markers of three types of stress response, namely, hypoxia, oxidative stress, and apoptosis. Heat stress caused an increase in expression of hypoxia-inducible factor 1 alpha (Hif1a) mRNA expression and translocation of HIF1A protein to the germ cell nucleus, consistent with hypoxic stress. Increased expression of heme oxygenase 1 (Hmox1) and the antioxidant enzymes glutathione peroxidase 1 (GPX1) and glutathione S-transferase alpha (GSTA) was consistent with a robust oxidative stress response. Germ cell death was associated with an increase in expression of the effector caspase cleaved caspase 3 and a decrease in expression of the protein inhibitor of caspase-activated DNase (ICAD). Reduced expression of ICAD contributes to increased activity of caspase-activated DNase and is consistent with the increased rates of DNA fragmentation that have been detected previously using TUNEL staining. These studies confirmed that transient mild testicular hyperthermia results in temperature-dependent germ cell death and demonstrated that elevated temperature results in a complex stress response, including induction of genes associated with oxidative stress and hypoxia.

A morphological study on Leydig cells of scrotal hyperthermia applied rats in short-term

Testicular function is highly dependent on temperature control. The aim of this study was designed to investigate the morphological changes and regulation of steroidogenesis by light and electron microscopic level in Leydig cells (LC) after scrotal hyperthermia in rats. The rats were randomly allotted into one of four experimental groups: A (Control), B (1 day after scrotal hyperthermia), C (14 days after scrotal hyperthermia), D (35 days after scrotal hyperthermia); each group contain seven animals. Scrotal hyperthermia was carried out in a thermostatically controlled water bath at 43°C for 30 min once daily for 6 consecutive days. Control rats were treated in the same way, except the testes were immersed in a water bath maintained at 22°C. Hyperthermia applied rats were sacrificed under 50 mg/kg ketamine anaesthesia after 1, 14 and 35 days, and biopsy materials of testis were obtained for light and electron microscopic examinations. To date, no histopathological changes of LC injury after scrotal hyperthermia in rats have been reported. Light microscopic examinations indicated increase degenerative LC, decrease in number of testosterone positive LC in interstitial area after scrotal hyperthermia in short-term. In scrotal hyperthert mia, a dilated smooth endoplasmic reticulum, swollen mitochondria, and vanished mitochondrial cristae were observed. The nuclei of some LC displayed deep invaginations and irregular outlines. The number of lipid droplets was very considerably increased in most LC when compared to control group. As a conclusion, we claim that temperatures higher than the body temperature may cause infertility by damaging LC.

Well I'm not sure studies on mouse testes compared to hundreds of years of human observation is a good rebuttal. I have visited several communities that live near hot springs for multiple generations, they are always the most attractive and robust people in the regions they are located.

You could just try using the light on your testes for a couple months, as long as its all in the visible spectrum i think you should be fine. You could always hold on your testes for 3 min then give break for few minutes then do another 3 minuets etc...

Also its ok to hold the light 4"-6" inches away from your testes, but you will need to do for about twice as long a time for same benefits, with photobiomodulation effects drop very quickly with distance.

The visible wavelengths are fine for 8-10 min at time, just avoid infrared.
you say that, but I feel my testicles heating up with red light only. There is always going to be heat from irradiation. You have to be sensitive to it and not ignore it, IMHO.

It may be better to do 1 minute on and 1 off and do it like that.

Well I'm not sure studies on mouse testes compared to hundreds of years of human observation is a good rebuttal. I have visited several communities that live near hot springs for multiple generations, they are always the most attractive and robust people in the regions they are located.

You could just try using the light on your testes for a couple months, as long as its all in the visible spectrum i think you should be fine. You could always hold on your testes for 3 min then give break for few minutes then do another 3 minuets etc...

Also its ok to hold the light 4"-6" inches away from your testes, but you will need to do for about twice as long a time for same benefits, with photobiomodulation effects drop very quickly with distance.

I've been doing it for some months already, always careful not to expose anything long enough to heat it up.

Wagner83

you say that, but I feel my testicles heating up with red light only. There is always going to be heat from irradiation. You have to be sensitive to it and not ignore it, IMHO.

It may be better to do 1 minute on and 1 off and do it like that.
On the other hand if he gets great results over months of use I find it hard to think he's doing damage. Not sure how one could make sure there's no damage, wouldn't the skin show the damages first?

On the other hand if he gets great results over months of use I find it hard to think he's doing damage. Not sure how one could make sure there's no damage, wouldn't the skin show the damages first?

I'm not sure how you could tell. But I'm sure it can be a real problem and not readily detectible. I just think aiming a light that heats up your testicles or your thyroid gland, and assigning some time to it like 10 minutes, arbitrarily, without sensing what is going on, can create trouble.

Makrosky

I'm not sure how you could tell. But I'm sure it can be a real problem and not readily detectible. I just think aiming a light that heats up your testicles or your thyroid gland, and assigning some time to it like 10 minutes, arbitrarily, without sensing what is going on, can create trouble.
How are you supposed to use the light on the thyroid then ?

Anyway, what are the effects you notice when you use the red light on your balls ?

How are you supposed to use the light on the thyroid then ?

Anyway, what are the effects you notice when you use the red light on your balls ?

I think a minute on and a minute off might be useful to give the heat time to dissipate and not to heat up the tissue much in the first place. That type of pattern may be helpful.

I've been doing thyroid and testicles and whole body exposure maybe 4 or 5 times a week. Also teeth and eyes.

I'm not sure but my temperatures have come up and this may be part of the reason. I don't notice any androgen effects that I can feel. My T is normal and my estrogen is still a bit high.

Makrosky

I think a minute on and a minute off might be useful to give the heat time to dissipate and not to heat up the tissue much in the first place. That type of pattern may be helpful.

I've been doing thyroid and testicles and whole body exposure maybe 4 or 5 times a week. Also teeth and eyes.

I'm not sure but my temperatures have come up and this may be part of the reason. I don't notice any androgen effects that I can feel. My T is normal and my estrogen is still a bit high.
1 minute on, 1 minute off, at which distance and for how long that 1-1 cycle ?

Daniel11

Forum Supporter

Im not sure what you mean by seeing whats going on, do you mean are the cells of the testes and scrotum functioning well...

The time of 8-10 min is not because doing longer would be a problem, it because thats what i and others have found is optimum time for best results, everything in life is balance, to little or to much of anything is not helpful, you have to find what feels best and makes sense for you, not what me or anyone else tells you.

Constatine

Im not sure what you mean by seeing whats going on, do you mean are the cells of the testes and scrotum functioning well...

The time of 8-10 min is not because doing longer would be a problem, it because thats what i and others have found is optimum time for best results, everything in life is balance, to little or to much of anything is not helpful, you have to find what feels best and makes sense for you, not what me or anyone else tells you.
It's definitely safe to do what your doing as this study: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...gglMAA&usg=AFQjCNEaMC2TOiU99eoLuacK3Sm16ezKDw
Used the same power density as you and wavelength but applied it three times as long and they looked for cell damage and didn't find any. I dont know if it is optimal for testosterone production but you are definitely not damaging the testes.

Serotoninja

Regarding testes, I think less is more; I hold my device (red light device mini, same as Daniel11) around 7 inches away from my testes for 2 minutes, sometimes less, and I immediately feel a shiver in my pelvic area... It's a bit weird but quite pleasurable and it's often followed by an increase in libido

Daniel11

Forum Supporter
It's definitely safe to do what your doing as this study: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...gglMAA&usg=AFQjCNEaMC2TOiU99eoLuacK3Sm16ezKDw
Used the same power density as you and wavelength but applied it three times as long and they looked for cell damage and didn't find any. I dont know if it is optimal for testosterone production but you are definitely not damaging the testes.

This is some very helpful research, a couple things i thought interesting was the opening statement...

"A steroid hormone from the androgen group, testosterone (T) plays a vital role in the sexual function and many other health-related phenomena. Gonadotropin-releasing hormone (GnRH) is secreted from the hypothalamus, and it promotes the secretion of luteinizing hormone (LH) by stimulating the pituitary gland. Then, LH promotes the synthesis of T by stimulating the Leydig cells of the testis."

This is why getting the light through the open eyes is so beneficial, it enhances hypothalamus and pituitary functioning.

The other important finding from this study was that although the infrared spectrum of 808 nm was shown to penetrate deeper then the visible 670 nm spectrum, it did not work better and even caused issues on a cellular level that i have been concerned with regarding the use of infrared wavelengths.

"In the 670 nm wavelength group, serum T level was also significantly increased the testosterone levels at the same intensity of 360 J/cm /day. On histopathological examination, there were no definite changes in the 670 nm wavelength group. In the 808 nm wavelength group, there were such findings as an atrophy of the seminiferous tubules, disarrangement of sertoli cells, generation of giant multinucleated bodies and other deformities."

"Our results showed that the LLLT using a 670-nm diode laser was effective in increasing serum T level without causing any visible histopathological side effects to the tissue. Thus the low level laser therapy may be an alternative treatment modality for conventional types of testosterone replacement therapy."

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals