Recommended Magnesium Sources

Amazoniac

No. It does absorb. This is what I called anti-oxide marketing brainwashing, they tell you it has poor bioavalability, but its a lie. Its done to sell you fancy forms like aminoacid chelates and etc. There is an another thread about magnesium oxide on this forum, some other members confirm my experience. It has highest absorbtion rates and there is even a study confirming that only oxide form was able to restore intracellular levels of magnesium.

Magnesium Oxide Is (surprisingly) Better Than Citrate
I believe this is the product in question, sounds a bit suspicious but it's what's claimed:

- US9849148B2 - Magnesium-containing products and uses thereof | Google Patents

"When administered orally, magnesium was shown to be absorbed primarily in the small intestine in the ileum and jejunum, and the degree of absorption has been shown to depend upon the amount of magnesium already present in the diet and the amount of magnesium administered. As indicated by radioactive 28Mg studies, absorption begins approximately 1 hour after oral intake, plateaus after 2-5 hours, and then declines. After 6 hours Mg absorption [of the fractional dose to be uptaken] is about 80% complete."

"Studies have shown that inorganic magnesium salts may have a bioavailability equivalent to organic magnesium salts, depending on the preparation (Firoz and Graber, 2001). It has further been shown that magnesium salts are converted to magnesium chloride in the stomach (Seelig, 1989). Non-absorbed magnesium (not uptaken by cells), due to high oral loads or inefficient absorption, can cause a number of side effects, including diarrhea, heartburn, nausea, and upset stomach."

"It is to be noted that oral administration of acidic magnesium salts, which generate relatively strong acids in the stomach (e.g., magnesium chloride and magnesium sulfate) is limited by the tolerable amount that can be taken, since it can cause non-tolerable acidity in the stomach." ¿

"Several means have been devised to overcome the poor absorption of MgO. Efforts were made to utilize small MgO particles, yet, are hindered by the tendency of the magnesium oxide particles to strongly agglomerate. Resulting agglomerates require a high shear force for re-pulverization at the time of incorporation into absorbable preparations, and thus adversely affect other ingredients in any planned preparations."

"Magnesium oxide, also known as the mineral periclase, can be formed by calcination at high temperatures from magnesium carbonate (Liu et al, 1997), by thermal decomposition of magnesium chloride (Jost et al. 1997), or by dehydration of magnesium hydroxide."

"The present invention [¿], in some embodiments thereof, relates to the field of supplemental products, and more particularly, to magnesium (Mg)-containing products, for use as magnesium supplements to provide enhanced bioavailability of magnesium in humans. In particular, the present invention relates to a composition according to the claims including a hydrate form of magnesium oxide, denoted as MgO·(H2O)n, at a concentration ranging from 10-95% weight percent (wt%), where n is any value from 0.1 to 2. The inventor discovered that a special form of magnesium oxide is useful to overcome not only the problems of agglomeration but also to provide enhanced bioavailability of magnesium."

"In a search for an effective magnesium source that can be efficiently used orally as a magnesium-containing supplement, it was uncovered that magnesium oxide salts, e.g., from the Dead Sea (Israel), exhibit improved pharmacological effects, particularly in terms of cellular uptake (intracellular absorption) and, thus, exhibit a superior performance, as compared to other currently available Mg-containing supplements."

"More particularly, it was uncovered that products containing unique magnesium oxide salts from the Dead Sea exhibit enhanced dissolution and consequently enhanced generation of Mg2+ ions, under acidic conditions. In parallel, it was discovered that oral administration of products containing these specific magnesium oxide salts results in elevated levels of intracellular magnesium [Mg2+]i, which were not observed when other magnesium-containing products were used."

"In the broadest scope of the invention, the magnesium-containing products disclosed herein comprise a hydrate form of magnesium oxide, preferably from the Dead Sea. Without being bound to theory, it was hypothesized by the inventor, with reference to magnesium salts from the Dead Sea, that the extreme climatic conditions of this region have an impact on the formation of such a unique and specific form of Magnesium oxide which exhibits X-ray powder patterns characteristic of a hydrate form of MgO (see, Ball and Taylor, 1961, supra). This hydrate form of magnesium oxide is a fine, slightly gray powder. According to preferred embodiments, this magnesium oxide hydrate is taken, as is, from the Dead Sea and used in an unprocessed form. While such a hydrate compound can be manufactured in synthetic form for use in the pharmaceutical compositions of the present invention, it is much more costly to prepare in this fashion."

"One such exemplary magnesium-containing powder exhibits the following characteristics:"
  • "Purity of about 96.4%;"
  • "Residual amount of non-Mg impurities of about 0.7%;"
  • "As shown herein, the particles vary in size but exhibit a d70 (average particle size of 70% of the granules) of 30-60 mesh."
"An oral unit-dosage form containing magnesium oxide hydrate of the present invention is prepared by compacting a powder as described herein, optionally mixed with additional active and non-active ingredients, into tablets."​

In regards to magnesium bicarbonate does anyone know if you can make it but with a lower amount of carbonated water? I haven’t had it for a while now so I cannot remember what the recipe is, but let’s just say it is one quart of carbonated water, could I potentially do it with 500mls (half a quart)? Does the milk of magnesia still react just as well? Anyone tried this?

I buy lots of milk of magnesia anyway, as I use it for deodorant. So if this were to potentially work for me, it would save me buying a magnesium supplement anyway.

If not, lots of suggestions on this thread for me to try!
I remember doing the calculations using the ratio of MgOH to carbonated water of the recipe that was posted here a while ago. The result was 2 teaspoons of MgOH to 1,5 liters of carbonated water. I don't know if the manufacturers of carbonated water put as much CO2 in the water as possible or if they prefer to keep the CO2 in a level that isn't uncomfortable to drink. The answer to your question, imo, is that if the amount of carbonation is the same, you can't dissolve more MgOH. So if I tried to dissolve more than about 2 teaspoons in my 1,5 liter bottle, it would remain unreacted. Unless you found a way to carbonate the water again after the reaction, but that would require carbonation equipment.

I believe this is the product in question, sounds a bit suspicious but it's what's claimed:

Im talking about NOW Foods Magnesium Oxide. That one Dead Sea extracted sounds like a scam.

If I'm not wrong, it was the product used in the link you provided.
Do you supplement it on empty stomach? How much is needed at a time?

I gave link to the thread about MgO, it has lots of studies mentioned.
Sometimes on empty stomach, but usually with food. Up to 1500 mg of MgO powder. Again I use NOW MgO.

Amazoniac

I gave link to the thread about MgO, it has lots of studies mentioned.
Sometimes on empty stomach, but usually with food. Up to 1500 mg of MgO powder. Again I use NOW MgO.
That's like 900 mg of magnesium, yet the intensive component of adsorption has limitations, likely up to 150 mg of magnesium at a time.

For a fair comparison you need to match them in terms of elemental magnesium. 200 mg of the powder would be comparable to other forms, otherwise it's extremely inefficient.

Not that you don't feel great from it, but if such high doses are needed, other factors such as alkalinization gain importance and have to be considered as well.

I dont do high dose daily. I believe I became Mg sufficient. I supplement Mg only after workouts or stressfull events. That high dose of 1500mg I mentioned just to illustrate absense of GI side effects of MgO in my personal experience. My calcium intake is high, up to 5000mg.

Amazoniac

I dont do high dose daily. I believe I became Mg sufficient. I supplement Mg only after workouts or stressfull events. That high dose of 1500mg I mentioned just to illustrate absense of GI side effects of MgO in my personal experience.
Could be replacing sodium bicarbonate with the benefit of providing some magnesium.

Taken with food will prevent diarrhea because the body won't allow the digestion to proceed without sterilizing whatever is in the stomach first. On empty stomach with wasser, the laxative effect is more likely.

SOMO

Do you use water for things like coffee or tea or cooking in general? You could replace regular water with magnesium bicarbonate water for these purposes. It adds up as the day goes on. And with smaller dosages you can absorb more than with one big dosage.

I agree, magnesium is huge. One day without some magnesium bicarb water is enough to reduce my well-being and make me slightly constipated too.

Many people enjoy magnesium glycinate, probably because the glycine prevents gut irritation. They sell it on PureBulk without fillers or other excipientes and, last time I checked, it isn't expensive.

Magnesium Glycinate is disgusting. Tastes fishy and gross

tara

I've used Mg carbonate powder for a while, sometimes with OJ like ecstatic, sometimes without. Also used some Mg malate powder. Both seem OK so far. Also used some Mg bicarb water. Got sick of the latter if I used too much/too late at night, but ok in small quantities. Mg chloride is great topically (dilute for skin's sake), but I can't use it that way all the time.

I've not studied enough chemistry. Does the Mg carbonate react into malate or citrate if mixed with malic acid or Mg citrate if mixed with slightly unripe OJ?

Dobster

SO it seems the Jury is still out on MgO ? If anyone has any updates, would like to hear it.
Thanks

ddjd

magnesium malate powder from seeking health is the best product ive tried

ddjd

guys just so im clear. magnesium bicarbonate requires magnesium hydroxide powder right??

but some people are using magnesium carbonate powder with ACV or orange juice to make a drink as well?

koky

guys just so im clear. magnesium bicarbonate requires magnesium hydroxide powder right??

but some people are using magnesium carbonate powder with ACV or orange juice to make a drink as well?
mag carb in oj does not dissolve for me.. why?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals