Ray Peat Approved Safe Fruits

pete

Biochemical changes in some tropical fruits during ripening
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/0308814694902291

One of the reasons for the study is that tropical fruit, like most other fruit, is picked unripe. Then they are artificially ripened. This is done to (1) allow fruit to be exported/travel long distances without going off and (2) when picked unripe they don't bruise as quickly, so they are not damaged by the machinery / people involved in the picking, sorting and travel processes.

Kris

sorry guys, not cooking of apples for me! i like them raw and trust their delicious taste. same goes with kiwis.

Nick810

The list is getting pretty small.... I mean if you don't want to eat oranges/juice in mass quantities, the widely-available is near zero.

J

j.

there was a time i had reactions to seemingly every food. at that time i ate lots of bananas and apples. they were one of the few things that didn't give me bad reactions. now that my body is better that i'm peating, i still have cravings for bananas if i go weeks without eating them. so i don't think they're bad for me.

Yves

I was under the impression other melons beside watermelon were fine like honeydew melon or cantaloupe. I eat berries and pineapple as well, they may not be optimal for a major source of calories, but I think they are ok. Apples and bananas are not tolerated by me either.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Honeydew and cantaloupe should be ok just removed the seeds of course and make sure they are really ripe.

Something about pineapple, it has estrogen in it or something or another that makes it not a good choice. Hopefully someone else can chime in on that because I cannot remember exactly.

The problem with berries is the seeds which can irritate the gut and cause serotonin.

Birdie

Charlie said:
Honeydew and cantaloupe should be ok just removed the seeds of course and make sure they are really ripe.

Something about pineapple, it has estrogen in it or something or another that makes it not a good choice. Hopefully someone else can chime in on that because I cannot remember exactly.

The problem with berries is the seeds which can irritate the gut and cause serotonin.
On the pineapples, RP has mentioned problems with pineapples and other highly industrialized fruit such as bananas. I remember his explaining that these fruits are stressed by such things as fertilizers aimed at producing fruit quickly. This causes the fruit to react as it would to a predator type stress. It develops some sort of poison.

I love raw apples too, but it's advised to cook them. Some people even take it another step and try to remove the pectin by straining it or something.

Edit: And Ray said something about the monoculture method of growing these fruits is another problem.

Rachel

Charlie said:

Pineapple has a relatively large amount of serotonin in it.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Rachel said:
Charlie said:

Pineapple has a relatively large amount of serotonin in it.
Serotonin, thats it!

Rachel, thank you! :rockout

Austin

Avocados? I'm pretty sure Peat wrote on his site that they're so high in PUFA that they can be hepatoxic (toxic to the liver). May I ask what the issue is with grapes?

Dean

In the latest Dr. Peat interview that Charlie posted here, a caller asked him what fruit juices are ok besides oj and he mentioned grape juice. I've seen people mention here that grape juice should be avoided unless you can be sure it came from seedless grapes. I've never heard Dr. Peat give that caveat, though I have heard him mention that too much grape juice can cause acne; and I can vouch to that. The first time I peated I drank a whole liter of grape juice (or more) in one day and was broken out with all kinds of small pimples, around my chin and on my neck, the next day.

gretchen

So oranges are good? What about all the pulp and fiber?

How bad is an uncooked apple?

pboy

With Apple Juice and Grape Juice...also Peach and Apricot to some extent, they are all hit or miss to me from my experience
It depends on the brand it seems...I bet it has something to do with how careful each company is to avoid seed particles and skin particles from getting into the juices
(Usually you can look through the bottle to see how much if any fiber and little particles are floating around). Basically unripe apples, or raw apples just seem to cause gas/bloating, grape juice seems to be highly energizing and clean, but some brands are seemingly too fierce (I bet parts of the seeds are in the juice) and have a laxative affect...unpleasantly so

Orange Juice (also to me, Pineapple) just seem to hit the spot more often than other juices, though I switch it up occasionally and include quality apple, grape, mango, papaya, black cherry, mulberry, or even this really delicious carrot/orange combo. Ill generally avoid tart cherry, pomegranate, blueberry (though not so bad), cranberry, raspberry, certain grape juices, certain apple juices, banana, and anything with added ascorbic acid or gums

Dean

Remind me again what the trouble is with tart cherry juice. I'd love to make cherry flavored gummies or replicate those cherry jelly slice candies, but black cherry wasn't the answer.

pboy

Dean said:
Remind me again what the trouble is with tart cherry juice. I'd love to make cherry flavored gummies or replicate those cherry jelly slice candies, but black cherry wasn't the answer.

Kinda like grape juice...I like it time to time but sometimes they can be fierce and have a laxative effect...of course this is usually because I drink a lot of it in a short period of time.
I don't think they are harmful at all though, just maybe not ideal before work. They are pretty neutral as far as their effect on metabolism is concerned...I think from what I read they can also help cleanse(antibacterial) the GI tract and urinary tract (and uterus for woman)...so I don't really know for sure Peat's stance, I'd say they are probably good, neutral at worse, but not ideal before having to work or drive or something where if you did have a laxative effect it may cause a stress response

Dean

Thanks Pboy...I thought when I blitzed through a bunch of his radio interviews several months ago I remembered Dr. Peat specifically saying to avoid tart cherry juice. I'm not sure though; perhaps the notion came from somewhere else. Was hoping someone remembered that and the reason or, better yet, disabuse me of that notion so I could continue my quest for homemade cherry slice candies.

Given Peat's mention of grape juice as acceptable and your laxative comments, I may pick some of that up and drink a bit daily. I could use a little laxative effect these days.

jaketthomas

Grape Juice has a laxative effect because it's very purifying to the liver. When I drink grape juice, I juice my own. It's very easy, even if you don't have a juicer. Throw a pound or two of seedless red grapes in the blender, blend it up, and then put it through a cheesecloth (or stocking if you don't have a cheesecloth). Squeeze, squeeze, squeeze, and eventually you'll leave all the pulp behind. There you go. Fresh grape juice. Great source of fructose and glucose, rich in resveratrol, proanthocyanidins, and salicyclic acid. Drink your fresh grape juice with some cheese and you have a great meal.

Dean

cool...Thanks Jake. I just picked up some cheesecloth the other day for making ricotta cheese. Some fresh grape juice along side sounds like a plan.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Indeed, thank you Jake!

Back
Top Bottom