Ray Peat Approved Safe Fruits

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Judi, many thanks for posting that article! :hattip

jyb

Grape fruit is approved? Producers are known to use really high amounts of pesticides for grapes, I'm surprised that's not a concern.

Apple causes me issues - no pain but smelly stools so I always notice that it's not digested like other foods.

T

tobieagle

I dont get whats the problem with seeds in the fruits. I mean as long as you dont chew them. If you swallow them they will pass your diggestive system undamaged (afaik)?! I think thats the purpose of seeds in fruit. How should the kiwi for ex. propagate if this wasnt the case?

kiran

Grapefruit inhibits certain enzymes (CYP3A4) that metabolize estrogens in the liver, and can increase estrogen levels.

tobieagle, some seeds (like peppers) were meant to pass through the digestive system of other animals like birds (can't taste capsaicin, that gives peppers their bite). There's also no guarantee that the seeds will make it out the other end intact.

key

^Pawpaws are a tropical fruit; pawpaws are not papaya. Although papaya is very tasty and good as well.

FunkOdyssey

key said:
^Pawpaws are a tropical fruit; pawpaws are not papaya. Although papaya is very tasty and good as well.

According to wikipedia they are one in the same:

The papaya /pəˈpaɪə/ or /pəˈpɑːjə/ (from Carib via Spanish), papaw, or pawpaw is the fruit of the plant Carica papaya, the sole species in the genus Carica of the plant family Caricaceae. It is native to the tropics of the Americas, perhaps from southern Mexico and neighbouring Central America.[1] It was first cultivated in Mexico[citation needed]several centuries before the emergence of the Mesoamerican classical civilizations.

Mittir

I had similar confusion about paw paw and papaya. I think RP meant this fruit
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_pawpaw
when he talks about papaya. Because he wrote somewhere that paw paw and papaya
are safe fruits. He suggests papaya be totally ripe to be safe. Latex in papaya is a problem.

montmorency

Any hope for the tomato? - Re: Ray Peat Approved Safe Fruits

Technically the tomato is a fruit, not a vegetable, I believe. Anyway I used to love these, especially cherry ones.

I think I heard Ray say they were to be avoided, as being part of the nightshade group, but I don't remember the details.

There are also the seeds. But as someone said earlier, surely seeds if swallowed and not chewed, go right through you?

There is also the pesticide issue.

Anyway: what do people think of tomatoes?

wes

Sooo... Kiwis are off the menu?

One large skinless kiwi (91 g) contains .3 g PUFA, which i imagine are in the seeds... but it also contains 1.3 mg of Vit E and 36.7 mcg of Vit K. Thats the same amount of Vit E per gram as a butternut squash. It also has a better Vit E to Pufa ratio then Olive Oil. Thats pretty good as we are limited to natural sources of Vit E.

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/fru ... ces/1934/2

Mittir

IIRC Ray Peat did mention in one of those audio interviews that small seeds from fruits irritate intestine.
He did not explain what part of the seed causes this problem. But seeds are known to have defensive chemical
like grains and nuts. KIwi is one of the latex allergy fruits. Here is a quote from RP on latex

"The chitinase allergens are responsible for reactions to latex (which is secreted by rubber trees in reaction to a wound), bananas, avocados, many other fruits and vegetables, and some types of wood and other plant materials. Intensive agricultural methods are increasing the formation of the defensive chemicals, and the industrialized crops are responsible for the great majority of the new allergies that have appeared in the last 30 years."

wes

Mittir said:
IIRC Ray Peat did mention in one of those audio interviews that small seeds from fruits irritate intestine.
He did not explain what part of the seed causes this problem. But seeds are known to have defensive chemical
like grains and nuts. KIwi is one of the latex allergy fruits. Here is a quote from RP on latex

"The chitinase allergens are responsible for reactions to latex (which is secreted by rubber trees in reaction to a wound), bananas, avocados, many other fruits and vegetables, and some types of wood and other plant materials. Intensive agricultural methods are increasing the formation of the defensive chemicals, and the industrialized crops are responsible for the great majority of the new allergies that have appeared in the last 30 years."

Very interesting... thanks for the info.

Des Esseintes

Watermelons included but no honeydew or 'loupes?

Ray Peat would surely approve of their consumption?

Blueberry?

montmorency

Ripening peaches tip - Re: Ray Peat Approved Safe Fruits

I got the following tip about ripening peaches from the blog of a peach grower in the USA.

It might be of particular interest to my fellow-UK-ers, since the peaches we get tend to be quite unripe when purchased (they were really bad last year I remember, perhaps because of the poor weather in Europe in the growing season):

Anyway, you need a flat surface, somewhere cool and dark.

Lay out your peaches, with the stalk side down (this stops them rolling), on a cotton tea-cloth (drying-up cloth). They should be spaced out so they are not touching. Then lay another cloth on the top. (paper kitchen-towel is an OK alternative to the cotton cloth).

(I usually use a tray in our garage).

It depends on the state of the peaches when you buy them of course, but I find they are usually ready within 24 to 36 hours. The best time to eat them (for my personal taste) is when they are almost, but not quite overripe. Deliciously messy....

This method also works for nectarines, and probably other fruit.

Justysmom

I am so confused????

I am estrogen dominant and have been trying to follow Ray Peats Diet suggestions raw carrot salad daily, cherries, watermelon, grapes,OJ etc and then I stumbled on this website and it contradicts some of the foods that are supposed to be anti-estrogenic - noticed people "Peating" eat dates and this website says dates and cherries are estrogenic...so frustrating!!!

Mind you it is a website for transgenders for "feminization" but seriously I am soooooo confused????

http://www.paul-clinton.net/nutrition-f ... enders.htm

J

j.

oh my god, oh my god, it's the end of the wooooooooooooooooorld!!!!!!

fruits are mostly safe, try them out and see how you feel.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Oh j. :lol:

It seems like tropical fruits are safest. With citrus being top pick, then melons.

Mittir

@Charlie
I have seen in an email correspondence on peatarian site
about papaya, mango and pineapple. Here is the quote

http://peatarian.com/96/frozen-and-dried-fruit
From Ray himself:
"Mangos, if you aren't allergic to them, papayas if they are fully ripe, and in moderation pineapple is o.k., though it contains serotonin and tryptophan. Lychees, longans, and guavas are others you might be able to find. "

I think adding these fruits to the list with added conditions is a good idea. RP has also been talking about
orange and guava as anti estrogenic fruits. Highlighting these two fruits can be helpful.
RP termed grapefruit as a major estrogenic fruit.

Cantonpixie

justysmom,
just sharing something from my personal experience. dates (and other similar chinese herbs such as dong quai and ginseng) are highly estrogenic, there was a period of time I was eating a lot of those after seeing TCM to "regulate menses" - and I ended up with serious serious estrogen dominance.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom