Ray Peat Approved Safe Fruits

Mittir

paper_clips43 said:
What about coconut? Young coconuts especially with the meat and water? Are they ok?
RP thinks coconut water from fresh coconut is fine, without additives.
He thinks coconut meat causes digestion problem for many. I think he meant
coconut meat from matured coconut. It is well known that soft meat from
young coconut is easy to digest. There are several RP quotes on coconut
at " Email Advice" section.

paper_clips43

Ok thanks. I was craving coconuts every day for the past couple months although today is the first that I haven't and am wondering if maybe by digestion is healing up and my body was using the lauric acid or other nutrients in the coconut to help with the healing.

jyb

What's a good source of sugar that keeps at room temperature for at least 5-10 hours? For situations where there's no fridge, travelling or energy source near the bed in case one wakes up a bit hungry.

I assume OJ, whether commercial or hand squeezed, doesn't last so long safely. Coca-cola (not made with HFCS) seems ok with a meal, but drank alone isn't great for a stable blood sugar. Could some lemon juice mixed with syrup (melted sucrose -- ie lemonade) be the best compromise? Not as much nutrients as OJ, but I believe lemon juice lasts longer. It also has some potassium, so this might be better than pure sucrose for insulin.

kiran

OJ might work, as long as you're going to finish it in 5-10 hours. I experimented with keeping a quart at room temperature when my throat was irritated, and it seemed to work fine, I finish it in less than a day tho.

jyb

kiran said:
OJ might work, as long as you're going to finish it in 5-10 hours. I experimented with keeping a quart at room temperature when my throat was irritated, and it seemed to work fine, I finish it in less than a day tho.

What is the protective factor in lemon? If its due to a compound rather than absence of sugar, then adding it to OJ might make the room temperature OJ safer.

BingDing

jyb said:
What's a good source of sugar that keeps at room temperature for at least 5-10 hours? For situations where there's no fridge, travelling or energy source near the bed in case one wakes up a bit hungry.

Just saw this. There is a recipe for marshmallows around, I think Ark of Wellness site has it, that uses simple syrup with 4 cups sugar and 1 cup water. It is incredibly sweet. My attempt at marshmallows failed because I didn't leave it in the blender long enough, but later made gummis with that syrup. I can't imagine how to get more sugar per bite than that.

That 4/1 syrup works but it starts to crystallize in a few day in a jar. One could probably make rock candy by pouring it into an open container like a glass roasting pan and leaving it for a week or so.

Mittir

paper_clips43 said:
what about egg fruit? and rambutans?

Rambutan and Lychee are in same family, so are egg fruit and Sapotes.
Since Lychee and sapote both are recommended, these two should be safe too.

Parsifal

I believe that RP said that citric acid was not good (inducing glycolysis if I remember well) so we should be careful about lemon?

J

jb116

It's probably more about added citric acid to foods. Also it's important to keep in mind deficiencies that some individuals have. Those who form calcium stones do well with citric acid and citrates such as mag citrate. I've helped a relative who struggled with stones most of his life.

Btw, I wanted to mention clementines for the list as well.

ivy

justysmom,
just sharing something from my personal experience. dates (and other similar chinese herbs such as dong quai and ginseng) are highly estrogenic, there was a period of time I was eating a lot of those after seeing TCM to "regulate menses" - and I ended up with serious serious estrogen dominance.

Can someone please comment on this topic? I've been advised to consume ginseng to fight off the cold and exhaustion, could I be messing with up my hormone ratio in the process?

Also, what are Peat's thoughts on ginger? TCM is a big promoter of ginger as a digestive aid. I do feel it helps me fight off the coldness/dampness, but haven't yet had a chance to measure my temperatures before and after drinking ginger tea.

Xisca

RP has also been talking about
orange and guava as anti estrogenic fruits. Highlighting these two fruits can be helpful.
Guau, my winter diet!
But the outside of the guava is rich in pectine, I cook it.
I strain the inside from the seeds.
I juice oranges.
Then I cook orange pulp and outside part of the guavas, it is very tasty together.

I believe that RP said that citric acid was not good (inducing glycolysis if I remember well) so we should be careful about lemon?
Just because it is industrially produced citric acid, and is not free of residues.

Last edited:

Birdie

Guau, my winter diet!
But the outside of the guava is rich in pectine, I cook it.
I strain the inside from the seeds.
I juice oranges.
Then I cook orange pulp and outside part of the guavas, it is very tasty together.

Just because it is industrially produced citric acid, and is not free of residues.
Just to mention that Ray doesn't recommend the pulp in oj. That's why people were straining their's.

But, as with all things Ray comments on, I use his suggestions as an overall guide and don't feel a need to rigidly follow.
I do what I can and what I like, and he highly influences it all.

Last edited:

Xisca

Yes, because of the raw pectine, and I can see that cooked pectine does not affect gut as much as raw, from personal experiment.
I cut many orange trees (well old and some ill) to replace by other trees, because I could not eat my oranges!
Then I arrived on this forum, and do not cut the rest of the orange trees....
And some cut orange trees regrow into lemon trees!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Amazoniac

It doesn't make much sense for a fruit to cause indigestion in those that help to spread its seeds. They must pass just like any other indigestible matter without causing much trouble, especially the tiny ones. As long as they're not crushed, which is what happens when they're blended, I think that the avoidance in unjustified. Eating the fruits that you crave and those that please you the most is a better mindset in my opinion.

Jsaute21

Does anyone else's mouth go a bit numb when they eat cherries? No other symptoms, and I enjoy the taste...it's not unbearable just wonder If in allergic as I don't want to release histamine or aggravate an allergy. It's kind of a reminiscent feeling to when you eat an apple and you feel as if your teeth have been cleaned.

Buttercup

Does anyone else find freshly squeezed OJ extremely cooling to the body? Doesn't matter what oranges I use. I can get really good ones.

I spent hundreds of dollars on a kick butt citrus juicer, where I can make a quart of freshly squeezed (pulp free) OJ, lemon juice or grapefruit juice (not that I eat grapefruit) in about five minutes. It would literally be the most amazing thing ever if I could actually tolerate raw freshly squeezed OJ. The cooling effect is really irratating. Even in the hot summer months it makes me uncomfortablely cold (including cold hands). To be honest, it feels anti-thyroid to me. But why? It is massively bigged up by Ray Peat. Just amazing that it has such a profoundly negative effect for me.

I have even tried eating the oranges whole, and they still crush my temps.

I swear citrus fruits also give me mouth ulcers. Hence I am starting to think that I may just be allergic to them.

Yet when you read into other dietary philosophies, fruit is often described as a 'cooling food'.

Yet here in Ray Peat land, oranges are 'truly' supposed to stoke & fuel an unstoppable furnace? I don't get it.

I can understand milk. I used to think that was a cooling food, too. Until I noticed that it was actually the acute effects of drinking it cold that was (initially) freezing me. But after an hour or two, you can feel the pro-metabolic effects. And I only ever drink milk at warm temps now instead (to eradicate body freeze effect).

Maybe I should try warming my freshly squeezed OJ? LOL. No, but seriously?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom