Random Announcements

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
On October 28th a new version of the forum software we are using here at Ray Peat Forum will be available. Many people including myself have been looking forward to this release for a while now and its finally going to happen. I am very excited to say the least.

Many new features are coming out, including a "notifications" system that is totally awesome. It has different ways on how to control notifications.

We will lose the instant messaging system, because the "social platform" modification was abandoned by the author of the mod. This comes at the right time for us, because we simply cannot handle that many hits with the resources available to us. There is however, a "wall" modification mod that is in development and should be ready to go by the release. So, we should definitely be able to at least have a wall. I will also keep my eye out for other instant messaging systems in hopes that we can find one that will work for us.

There is a huge bonus is the new upgrade thats coming out. If you remember, I went through a lot of stress and work with some of the modifications to get them to work with our board. However, the modification system has been completely rewritten into a "hooks" system which makes it incredibly easy to work with mods now. YAY!

Also the new theme will be incredibly fast, and run well with mobile navigation devices. So things should get faster around here.

Gravatar support is added, meaning you can pull avatars from the Gravatar system now.

Most of the major mods we use like the reputation system, topic preview and others we will still be able to use because the mod authors carried them forward into the new system. Yay!

So this week I will be working on cleaning out the database of old mods and getting the forum ready to drop in the new software soon as I am able to download it. I should only have to take the site off line for a very short period for the upgrade. I will then be going through the forum trying out all the new bells and whistles just like you will. Once I feel we are at solid place and all is well, I will then start adding back in the mods and also work on getting the design colors matched closely to the way we have it now.

:hattip

https://www.phpbb.com/about/launch/

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
If you have any information you would like to save from your social media wall then please go ahead and do that. I will give it a couple days and then I will be un-installing that mod.

Also, please excuse any intermittent forum downtime as I work on the database.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
T-minus 20 minutes. :woo

https://www.phpbb.com/about/launch/

I should only have to pull the forum down for a few minutes at most. When the forum comes back up, we will be at a clean install of the forum software, no worries, all posts and content will still be here.

It could possibly take me a couple days to figure out how to adjust the theme so that it looks close to what it is now but in the meantime you will be able to browse the forum as usual. So things will look a lot different here in a few minutes.

Please, no worries! Leave that to me! :mrgreen:

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Due to requests I have had to move the profiles over to the left hand side of the post, I went ahead and installed an extension for it.

If you do not want the profiles on the left hand side, no worries, you can change it back to the original way inside your "user control panel".

ucp.php?i=ucp_prefs&mode=view

Where it says "Display postprofile left:" simply check the "no" button.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I have installed a new style called "PBTech". I am very impressed with it and will probably be using it for my personal style. You can change your style inside your "user control panel" ucp.php?i=ucp_prefs&mode=personal

Click on the drop down box that says "prosilver" and select "PBTech" then click submit.

I still need to customize it and get some Ray Peat Forum logos for the top and take out the PBTech logos. I will try to start on that next week.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Nice. I found it at the bottom of the page today. So it can be done at the top of the page, bottom, and in the user control panel.

I have been using the left and I can see why people would ask for it. I like it.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I have installed another new style, "prosilver_se" which is prosilver special addition. I think it might edge out PBTech on best style so far. Ok, so I have a new favorite now. :lol:

ucp.php?i=ucp_prefs&mode=personal

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I have redshift so to me its not a big deal.

I do plan on making a Peat friendly color scheme in the future. I will take the prosilver theme which has way too much blue, and change it up.

loess

I'm diggin' the prosilver_se style, thanks Charlie!

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
loess, me too! There is an even better one(in my opinion) that is being developed now. Its called "we_universal" but it looks like they still might have a bit to go. Soon as they make it available I will install it.

Here is a sneak preview. https://github.com/inventea/we_universal

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Charlie said:
loess, me too! There is an even better one(in my opinion) that is being developed now. Its called "we_universal" but it looks like they still might have a bit to go. Soon as they make it available I will install it.

Here is a sneak preview. https://github.com/inventea/we_universal
That's fabulous!

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Blossom, definitely. :mrgreen:

jyb

I find the "online/offline" indicator next to each posts a bit too distracting. I never used the chat a single time since me joining in 2012, so for me this big indicator right next to the text is too much. Why not a small little indicator closer to the username.

Also, join date shouldn't have exact time of day joined, it's too much info clutter. If it were just me, the username info would be: username, admin/registered in small text (not the large icon), number of posts, concise date (eg, May 28, 2014), location.

jyb

But other than this clutter in some areas, I find this forum pretty good in terms of concise display. There are no excessive blanks between posts, which means that a serious discussion with many posts becomes legible, contrary to other forums where one needs to keep scrolling and turning pages, until one forgets what's going on.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
jyb said:
I find the "online/offline" indicator next to each posts a bit too distracting. I never used the chat a single time since me joining in 2012, so for me this big indicator right next to the text is too much. Why not a small little indicator closer to the username.

Also, join date shouldn't have exact time of day joined, it's too much info clutter. If it were just me, the username info would be: username, admin/registered in small text (not the large icon), number of posts, concise date (eg, May 28, 2014), location.
Haven't noticed the online indicator being a bother. But I will keep it in mind and see if I can change it up later.

I agree it would look cleaner if the time was removed. I will also keep that in mind and add it to the to do list.

:hattip

Debz

Hi since the change I am not receiving any e-mails of the Ray Peat Daily Digest.
Is there a reason for this.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals