Masks And CO2

DennisX

If you want to increase your CO2 simply wear a mask. Del Bigtree in the latest Highwire YouTube video measured the CO2 concentrations for various Covid-19 masks. All masks measured concentrations of 9000+ ppm after a few minutes. Normal concentrations without a mask are around 800 ppm. Wear a mask long enough, like for hours while walking and shouting or exercising and you can do some real damage to yourself.

Last edited:

Jordan

I'm a nurse and have to wear an N95 mask for most of the day. While wearing mine for a few hours, my CO2 level was tested and came back within normal limits. I'm wondering if it is a good or bad sign if the body normalizes CO2 levels while wearing a respirator?

Lollipop2

I'm a nurse and have to wear an N95 mask for most of the day. While wearing mine for a few hours, my CO2 level was tested and came back within normal limits. I'm wondering if it is a good or bad sign if the body normalizes CO2 levels while wearing a respirator?
@Blossom do you know?

Estradiol

Wearing a basic mask decreased my heart when doing a physical activity for example going uphill. Probably because of CO2.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I think it’s good that the lungs are compensating but I still think it can be stressful for hours on end. Haidut mentioned something in regards to mask wearing about the lungs not breaking down serotonin effectively. They also seem to impact NO. I’ll try to find his quote. There’s also the issue of contamination from not being able to change masks frequently due to the PPE shortage. I had my first full blown asthmatic experience from wearing a mask for close to 60 hours in a 5 days period a couple weeks ago.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
There is also the already proven pro-inflammatory effect of masks due to causing strained breathing. This is quite different from breathing air with higher CO2 - the process of breathing when using Carbogen is not physically strained, but with the masks it is. That mask-induced strain causes the immediate increase of NO and histamine in the lungs. Also, since most of the serotonin is inactivated in the lungs, straining the lungs results in reduction of serotonin uptake and decreased enzymatic deactivation, which ultimately results in systemic elevation of serotonin.
So, chronic mask breathing = at best lung inflammation (hence the difficulty breathing you experienced), at worst systemic serotonin overload and re-breathing of viral particles.
Lung function – Metabolic.
Role of the lungs in serotonin inactivation

Lollipop2

I think it’s good that the lungs are compensating but I still think it can be stressful for hours on end. Haidut mentioned something in regards to mask wearing about the lungs not breaking down serotonin effectively. They also seem to impact NO. I’ll try to find his quote. There’s also the issue of contamination from not being able to change masks frequently due to the PPE shortage. I had my first full blown asthmatic experience from wearing a mask for close to 60 hours in a 5 days period a couple weeks ago.
Thank you @Blossom, that makes sense.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
40CABF3D-AFE7-4E2F-B5D3-691C227EAE45.jpeg
This is what they are still doing at my job. It’s sickening literally and figuratively. We also have to put our used masks in a recycling bin to be disinfected and reused.

tankasnowgod

If you want to increase your CO2 simply wear a mask. Del Bigtree in the latest Highwire YouTube video measured the CO2 concentrations for various Covid-19 masks. All masks measured concentrations of 9000+ ppm after a few minutes. Normal concentrations without a mask are around 800 ppm. Wear a mask long enough, like for hours while walking and shouting or exercising and you can do some real damage to yourself.

I read and posted a study on this years ago, and yes, it does seem to work. From my own experiments, it certainly seemed like around 20-40 minutes should be around the maximum time you use a mask for that CO2 benefit. There was also a noticeable impairment of abilities (albeit slight) when using a mask, and concluded quickly that it would not be wise to use them in any sort of demanding activity (especially driving a car).

The quote from Haidut above made me question the idea even more. So long as there isn't noticeable strain from breathing, it's probably okay (and maybe even beneficial) in short bursts. There may also be benefit to wearing a mask "wrong," like wearing around the mouth but below the nose.

Lejeboca

If you want to increase your CO2 simply wear a mask.

From the 2020-3-31 Politics&Science Interview with Ray Peat.
[38:43]
JB: I was wondering: Do masks increase your CO2 levels? I feel it's like breathing into a bag.
RP: Not very much.
JB: No? They don't?
RP: Carbon dioxide doesn't stay in place.
JB: Or I see, so breathing into a bag is much more effective?
RP: Yeah.
JB: Because you are recirculating it over and over again.
RP: um-hm.

Del Bigtree in the latest Highwire YouTube video measured the CO2 concentrations for various Covid-19 masks.

When watching, I was wondering what kind of device he was using? There is nothing shown in the comments and I couldn't discern from the picture. It's definitely different from the one with which another guy in the beginning of the video measures oxygen content under his own mask.

BudsPeat

Wearing masks for extended periods of time also causes significant over breathing with ejection of CO2 of course partially rebreather upon inhalation. People whose regular breathing is poor, unfortunately the vast number of people on this planet as “normal” breathing has deteriorated significantly over the past 40 years placing most people at deficit of Co 2 maintenance, cannot we’ll tolerate the raised levels of CO2 breathed using Even a moderately efficient mask . They would feel ill if they went above 10,000 feet altitude. See Washington post article about less people getting ill above 3,000 meters

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Wearing masks for extended periods of time also causes significant over breathing with ejection of CO2 of course partially rebreather upon inhalation. People whose regular breathing is poor, unfortunately the vast number of people on this planet as “normal” breathing has deteriorated significantly over the past 40 years placing most people at deficit of Co 2 maintenance, cannot we’ll tolerate the raised levels of CO2 breathed using Even a moderately efficient mask . They would feel ill if they went above 10,000 feet altitude. See Washington post article about less people getting ill above 3,000 meters
That super interesting. Thanks. Last night I bought mesh material and made face coverings. My state is going to start making them mandatory in public as of next week.

OP
D

DennisX

That super interesting. Thanks. Last night I bought mesh material and made face coverings. My state is going to start making them mandatory in public as of next week.
Actually that law is unenforceable. States can ask you to wear a mask but cannot enforce you by law to wear one. Of course places of business can restrict your entry without a mask.

gaze

i thought n-95 masks allow air to come in and out, it only blocks the small and large particles. How much different is that from breathing normally?

Lejeboca

Of course places of business can restrict your entry without a mask.

I haven't tried airports/airlines yet but a local business (museum) that does so had to accommodate me with a private exhibition viewing to avoid being labeled as discriminating.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
i thought n-95 masks allow air to come in and out, it only blocks the small and large particles. How much different is that from breathing normally?
I personally find them very uncomfortable and think they should be reserved for healthcare settings.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals