Important Announcement Regarding Forum Software Change, Please Read!

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Sheik said:
post 118986 Is there a way to mark all posts unread after the switch?
No I don't think so.

All posts will be marked read soon as the changeover happens. Then once new posts come in they would be marked unread until you read them.

Last edited:

dookie

Charlie will the URL links be the same as they were before?

Say I bookmarked a few forum discussions in my browser, will the bookmarks still work after the forum change?

Btw I still think you should consider keeping the phpBB. It's free and open. Why hand over all our user data to a big company who's been through some lawsuits and has other issues.

XPlus

dookie said:
Charlie will the URL links be the same as they were before?

Say I bookmarked a few forum discussions in my browser, will the bookmarks still work after the forum change?

I'd look up the thread title whenever I'd refer to it in the future.

dookie said:
Btw I still think you should consider keeping the phpBB. It's free and open. Why hand over all our user data to a big company who's been through some lawsuits and has other issues.

As far as I know, the Xenforo outperforms the competition when it comes to efficiency. I think this would be more cost effective in the future when it comes to hosting costs.
PHP is still an open source language. It's only a matter of licensing for those who want to use the xenforo on a public domain.

They shouldn't have access to the database.
I think the Xenforo is small startup by a bunch of guys who used to be on the vBulletin team before it was acquired by some company.
They got sued by the company for fear of competition.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
dookie said:
post 119104 Charlie will the URL links be the same as they were before?

URL will be slightly different. However, I am setting up redirects so any bookmark will go to the new link. Nothing lost. :D

dookie said:
post 119104 Why hand over all our user data to a big company who's been through some lawsuits and has other issues.
No one will get our user data, thats like saying PHPBB got our user data and its simply not true. I value our members privacy/information and do all I can to protect it.

Xenforo far surpasses PHPBB on many levels. :2cents

Last edited:

onioneyedox

Can you give exact time. Just logged in after a hiatus, skimming through 20 pages of new posts, hehe :D

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
onioneyedox said:
post 119166 Can you give exact time.
I am thinking it might be one more day. Soon as I get an exact time I will post.

Last edited:
OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I am at a place where I feel comfortable doing the final migration over to the new software. If I do not do it tonight then most likely it will be Friday morning. I am estimating the forum will be down for 30 minutes, however it could be longer but hopefully will be shorter. :D

You will notice that a lot of the bbcodes will be broken(smileys, quotes, etc). No worries, those will be taken care of but it will take some time so please bare with me while I work through those. The old smileys will be broken until I can figure out how to get the smiley migration software to work. There seems to be a technical glitch with the smiley importer but I do have a thread into support to get it figured out. Fixing the bbcodes will be my top priority once the switch is made and we are settled in.

:hattip

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Ran into an error while doing the import. Will resume soon as error is fixed. :hattip

admin

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Is there a way to mark all posts unread after the switch?
Yes, all posts are marked unread. :D

Well, we did it! The migration is now complete.

As posted earlier, bbcodes will be broken across the site. However, I have someone who is very good at fixing those going to help me starting tonight and working through the weekend(we will also be importing over the old phpbb smilies). This will take some time, but once all finished there should not be a single broken bbcode. I will be making a separate thread to report broken codes.

If you have any questions about the new software please feel free to ask. I am hoping to make a new thread in the future talking about different aspects of Xenforo.

Welcome to the power of Xenforo. :D

a huge thank you! You are amazing!!! I can't tell you how wonderful this forum is and how much I appreciate your efforts

This new design is an enormous improvement over the old one. I've been looking forward to a modernisation of this forum for over a year; it's about damn time.:cigar:

dd99

Thanks for all the effort in updating the forum.

I have encountered an issue. Only two of the threads I am watching give me alerts. I have checked in alert preferences and it is set to provide alerts for everything. Have I done something wrong?

Edit: I have found a workaround. If I unwatch a thread then watch it again, I get alerts.

Last edited:
OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I have encountered an issue. Only two of the threads I am watching give me alerts. I have checked in alert preferences and it is set to provide alerts for everything. Have I done something wrong?

Edit: I have found a workaround. If I unwatch a thread then watch it again, I get alerts.
I have been subscribing to threads since this morning and it has not missed an email or notification.

Good to know about the workaround, I will see what else I can find.

moss

Charlie, Dan & others
The site looks SO extravagant!
Much appreciation, as always, for all work you put in, thanks.

Zachs

I google for something this morning and found an old thread but when I clicked on the thread it sent me to the old forum with just a blank page.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals