Important Announcement Regarding Forum Software Change, Please Read!

Discussion in 'Ray Peat Forum Announcements' started by charlie, Jan 6, 2016.

1. charlie

charlie The Law & Order Admin

In one week Ray Peat Forum will be moving off of PHPBB forum software onto a much better solution. All info will be carried over to the new software including all posts, topics and PM's. However, there is one bit of information that will not carry over, your "unread posts". Basically when the switch is made, it will look like you have read all the posts. I am making this announcement to let you know that you have at least one week to catch up on your unread posts.

I am very excited to be able to switch to the new software as its superior in many ways. Dan Wich has been testing it with me and can confirm this as he is excited about the move too. I will write more on the benefits of the new software at a later time.

Again, no information will be lost, all posts and PM's will definitely be there. We have made a test migration over and made sure everything is on par.

When the day finally comes for the final migration, you can expect the forum to be down for a couple hours at most.

:hattip

2. CoolTweetPete

CoolTweetPete Member

Telecommunications / Health & Fitness
    Thank you for all of the time, effort, and money you put into this forum, Charlie.

You have helped many many people, myself included. Excited for the new software!

:hattip

3. Blossom

Blossom Moderator

:yeahthat :1

4. MCF

MCF Member

Charlie, thank you very much for everything you do for all of us!

5. Dan Wich

Dan Wich Member

Yep, thank you for running this beast of a forum, Charlie.

It's really nice. For anyone worried, it's not so much that it's a big dramatic overhaul that requires a lot of re-learning. The structure is the same, it's just got dozens of improvements.

6. dookie

dookie Member

Is the new solution OpenSource as well?

7. Lightbringer

Lightbringer Member

:cheers :claporange

8. Peatri Dish

Peatri Dish Member

Thanks, Charlie!

9. milk

milk Member

thanks charlie

10. supercoolguy

supercoolguy Member

Thanks. Celebration.... Double Dose of Cascara. :coffee

11. brandonk

brandonk Member

Do you know if it would be technically possible for you to make an image or archive of the whole forum, similar to a backup? If you're converting to xenforo (and Google seems to be finding a few test xenforo pages already), there are some directions here:
    https://xenforo.com/community/threads/h ... orum.7213/

12. bluewren

bluewren Member

Thank you! :D

13. burtlancast

burtlancast Member

+1 :mrgreen:

14. OP
    charlie

Thank you for the kind words. Could not do it without you all! :D :hattip :grouphug2

Good point Dan! There will not be much of a learning curve for members. The many improvements make up for all that. :D

No. I understand why it is important to have open source for some people. However, the improvements in Xenforo far outweigh that aspect. I mulled this decision over for months, and I believe it to be the right one. :hattip
    Yes, it is possible but not the way you linked.

15. dookie

dookie Member

I feel as though this forum software is working just fine... don't see the need to change..

Don't change something if it ain't broke :)

16. brandonk

brandonk Member

I have an excess of server and bandwidth capacity and could host or store secondary backup without incurring any cost, to protect against unforeseen failure (knock on wood), and to avoid secondary backup fees.

17. brandonk

brandonk Member

Just for clarity, the secondary backup could be made available to others (either anonymously or by a password), making in effect a failsafe backup even in the event of multiple unforeseen failures.

[Edit] Upon reflection, there may also be some utility in having a "personal" archive that could be accessed even when offline, or searched without burdening the server.

18. kaybb

kaybb Member

I appreciate all your time, effort, and sacrifice. New is always better when it comes to technology. That's what my grandkids keep telling me and I am a believer !!
    Thanks again !!!

19. Kasper

Kasper Member

20. OP
    charlie

kaybb, :hattip

Kasper, I have. The more I use the new software the more I realize the right decision was made.

Just a quick reminder we will be changing the forum software very soon. Could be as soon as tomorrow(Wednesday) or I might hold off to the weekend. Have not decided yet.