Potatoes cause Leaky Gut Sindrome.

RP has always recommended for people with digestive issues to eat “zero starch” if they have digestive issues, and even mainstream medical science agrees.

“Concentrations of glycoalkaloids normally available while eating potatoes can adversely affect the mammalian intestine and can aggravate IBD.”

OP
T

Trullo

RP has always recommended for people with digestive issues to eat “zero starch” if they have digestive issues, and even mainstream medical science agrees.

“Concentrations of glycoalkaloids normally available while eating potatoes can adversely affect the mammalian intestine and can aggravate IBD.”
Do you have a reference where I can read about please?

Peachy

I peel potatoes for this reason (glycoalkaloids are concentrated in the peel). And make sure there's no green on them. They're so much easier on the gut this way.

AlaskaJono

Whatever the reason or primary cause of the "leaky gut' one need be careful with the diet for some weeks or months to heal. Stress/serotonin, food reactions, food allergies all can contribute. For the Potato Peaters I always recommend putting the 'taters' in the fridge (or 3-5C or 36-40F) for at least 3 days to lower the starch content. I have no science experiment to prove it except my own experience, and my wifes, it is just Ed the Potato Guru (gardener) from Juneau's idea for storing potatoes. Definitely can feel the difference in digestion and 'glugginess' betwixt the non-cooled ones and the cooled ones. Less heaviness, bloating and general distension in the intestines. Peeled of course, and cooked/baked/boiled for 30-40 minutes. Error on the side of longer cooking as Ray explained.

but is that true now for his new oat bran?

I should think so, bacteria thrives on starch. The oat bran is something best used for a short time, like Brewer’s yeast. It has short term benefits, but is problematic long term.

J.R.K

Whatever the reason or primary cause of the "leaky gut' one need be careful with the diet for some weeks or months to heal. Stress/serotonin, food reactions, food allergies all can contribute. For the Potato Peaters I always recommend putting the 'taters' in the fridge (or 3-5C or 36-40F) for at least 3 days to lower the starch content. I have no science experiment to prove it except my own experience, and my wifes, it is just Ed the Potato Guru (gardener) from Juneau's idea for storing potatoes. Definitely can feel the difference in digestion and 'glugginess' betwixt the non-cooled ones and the cooled ones. Less heaviness, bloating and general distension in the intestines. Peeled of course, and cooked/baked/boiled for 30-40 minutes. Error on the side of longer cooking as Ray explained.
For my simple mind @AlaskaJono
Do you peel the potatoes ,
Then put them in water and into the fridge for two to three days?
If so do you cut them to increase the amount of surface area exposed to allow more starch to migrate into the water?

Daft

Solanines and saponins. Even if you peel I believe you can have solanines in the flesh if there was any green on the potatoes before.

Saponins are high in the peels too, and in other foods such as beans - especially if you dont rinse away the bubbles (that are present in the liquid in canned beans).

AlaskaJono

For my simple mind @AlaskaJono
Do you peel the potatoes ,
Then put them in water and into the fridge for two to three days?
If so do you cut them to increase the amount of surface area exposed to allow more starch to migrate into the water?
No worries JRK. We just put them as is in the fridge in a paper bag, enough for 3 weeks or so. Then when it is time to cook, clean em, peel em cut em into your preferred style and size. One half/ one quarter/chunky style or fries style. Then boil them for 30ish minutes. My better half keeps them cooking another 5+ minutes, and I tend to stick to 30 min. But do check them also for done ness. Different varieties and growth can develop even 'organic' pots to a very stone-like texture even after 25 min boiling. Etc.

We don't have a garden at the moment, but a friend has surplus and her Dutch Cream pots are fantastic. Excellent all rounders, boiled/sauteed/baked.

Technically I believe the starches convert to sugars at 32-38F (1-3C). This we have been doing for 15 years now. Do try it and see how you go.
(I just checked the old internet and some dr.s state to chill after cooking...? FWIW)

Z

Zsazsa

Glutamine is great for those kinds of food sensitivities. Many people take 1-3 g daily, but I healed my gut with just 250-300 mg since this was my max tolerance.

J.R.K

No worries JRK. We just put them as is in the fridge in a paper bag, enough for 3 weeks or so. Then when it is time to cook, clean em, peel em cut em into your preferred style and size. One half/ one quarter/chunky style or fries style. Then boil them for 30ish minutes. My better half keeps them cooking another 5+ minutes, and I tend to stick to 30 min. But do check them also for done ness. Different varieties and growth can develop even 'organic' pots to a very stone-like texture even after 25 min boiling. Etc.

We don't have a garden at the moment, but a friend has surplus and her Dutch Cream pots are fantastic. Excellent all rounders, boiled/sauteed/baked.

Technically I believe the starches convert to sugars at 32-38F (1-3C). This we have been doing for 15 years now. Do try it and see how you go.
(I just checked the old internet and some dr.s state to chill after cooking...? FWIW)

Thanks @AlaskaJono, I love mashed potatoes and I usually cook a pot full and refrigerate and use them throughout the week, but I don’t keep the potatoes prior to cooking in the fridge, after of course. I do not really have any issues but your advice is something I will try, the longer I live the more I learn!!

:M :B.

I read Atom Bergstrom's book about potatoes and he mentions keeping them in the fridge is cryo-dextrinization. His book on potatoes is great, worth the read.

Same as you I keep them in the fridge. I stab some holes in them and bake at 350F for 1.5 hours. I put some cream in a bowl or some milk and butter when I don't have cream and put the bowl somewhere warm. Toss a generous amount of salt in there too.

When they're done I slice them in half and scoop out the pyro-dextrinized potato into the bowl and smash them up with a wooden spoon. I used to not be able to handle potatoes very well, but I do this every night and am doing pretty good recently. Not sure how to do no starch. Guess i'm not on that level yet because I need potatoes.

If I am starving after a day of physical work and not eating enough...adding ground beef to the top of the smashed potatoes with generous parmesan. Except in the bowl of cream I add some glycine powder and a bit of calcium carbonate before I smash the potatoes.

I think vitamin D has been helping me out a lot lately, as well as progesterone and thyroid and all the other experimentation.

Anyways, I was surprised to read that cryo-dextrinization is a thing and that it's a good thing. weird.

O

Omen

I emailed Ray Peat a week ago with some issues (intestinal and digestion issues being one of them) and he actually recommended white rice and masa.

AlaskaJono

I just looked Atom up... out there kinda guy. Cool. Glad to join the cryo detrinization club. :):
I read Atom Bergstrom's book about potatoes and he mentions keeping them in the fridge is cryo-dextrinization. His book on potatoes is great, worth the read.

Same as you I keep them in the fridge. I stab some holes in them and bake at 350F for 1.5 hours. I put some cream in a bowl or some milk and butter when I don't have cream and put the bowl somewhere warm. Toss a generous amount of salt in there too.

When they're done I slice them in half and scoop out the pyro-dextrinized potato into the bowl and smash them up with a wooden spoon. I used to not be able to handle potatoes very well, but I do this every night and am doing pretty good recently. Not sure how to do no starch. Guess i'm not on that level yet because I need potatoes.

If I am starving after a day of physical work and not eating enough...adding ground beef to the top of the smashed potatoes with generous parmesan. Except in the bowl of cream I add some glycine powder and a bit of calcium carbonate before I smash the potatoes.

I think vitamin D has been helping me out a lot lately, as well as progesterone and thyroid and all the other experimentation.

Anyways, I was surprised to read that cryo-dextrinization is a thing and that it's a good thing. weird.

:M :B.

I just looked Atom up... out there kinda guy. Cool. Glad to join the cryo detrinization club. :):
He's cool. Does a lot of unique research and has been doing more and more Ray Peat things lately. You might like.

Vileplume

I emailed Ray Peat a week ago with some issues (intestinal and digestion issues being one of them) and he actually recommended white rice and masa.
If possible, could you share the Q and his A? I’d love to read any other context!

artist

Glutamine is great for those kinds of food sensitivities. Many people take 1-3 g daily, but I healed my gut with just 250-300 mg since this was my max tolerance.
Hi Zsazsa, how long did you take the glutamine for before you noticed a difference?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals