Fixing a leaky gut/bacterial overgrowth, anything to speed up gut repair?

DonLore

So since being hypo all my life, and clearly having leaky gut since a child, I am now getting better with Peaty diet + iodine, garlic as anti-microbials. But is there anything that would speed up the repair of the gut lining? And since iodine kills most of everything in the gut, what foods would give some "good" bacteria to replace the old bad ones? Sauerkraut, kefir?

I already am grain free, low starch, very low pufa, high fruit, milk, collagen, seafood, etc.

dlind70

Some foods I would say would be prebiotic foods like almonds pecans pistachios basically a lot of those nuts and you also may add dried fruits like apricot fruits or very ripe fruits like apricot prune or fig have a lot of fiber and that fiber feeds good bacteria also a lot of the foods that I mentioned are good for the stomach and libido and your stomach at 7:00 a.m. is crucial to the rest of the hormones in your body because you have to eat breakfast in order to build the stomach up. And it's a big cycle so if your stomach is not feeling good you won't get the hormones at night, you won't repair your gut lining etc

dlind70

Dates and figs are super great for prebiotic. Also to mention again almonds almonds are actually very good with pre biotic fiber and minerals but in order to properly do almonds I would soak them personally you don't have to soak the other nuts just almonds because there is a acid in almonds that if you soak it is also very much good for digestion. The trick is you have to soak the almonds for 24 to 72 hours and no longer once they're soaked for the 72 hours then you can eat them fully you do not have to worry about removing the skin like some people claim.

Lampshard

I would be very careful with the Iodine or outright stop it, Peat has mentioned before that overdosing iodine can be insanely dangerous for the thyroid and pretty much screw it up for a long period of time. Fresh kefir is ok, Sauerkraut a bit too lactic acid heavy if you're not already in good health. I think Peat has mentioned Subtilis and Licheniformis being ok, which are contained in some Phage Technology GI Life Extension products he has mentioned, if you want any "probiotics". I would also replace collagen with gelatine, Great Lakes best if you are able to afford it. Hope you are having a coconut oil carrot salad daily. Guy above mentions a good list of foods that you should try to completely avoid to reduce endotoxin and bacterial overgrowth. Cheers.

OP
D

DonLore

I would be very careful with the Iodine or outright stop it, Peat has mentioned before that overdosing iodine can be insanely dangerous for the thyroid and pretty much screw it up for a long period of time. Fresh kefir is ok, Sauerkraut a bit too lactic acid heavy if you're not already in good health. I think Peat has mentioned Subtilis and Licheniformis being ok, which are contained in some Phage Technology GI Life Extension products he has mentioned, if you want any "probiotics". I would also replace collagen with gelatine, Great Lakes best if you are able to afford it. Hope you are having a coconut oil carrot salad daily. Guy above mentions a good list of foods that you should try to completely avoid to reduce endotoxin and bacterial overgrowth. Cheers.
I appreciate the concern on iodine, but I have done a lot of research on it and it has been the most helpful supplement/lifestyle change ever, literally feeling better by the day and fixing some years old chronic health problems. Absolutely no problem on the thyroid, on contrary my thyroid health seems to finally be getting adequate.
Yes I have the carrot salad to keep things moving, and raw honey seems to also kill some bad bacteria I think? At least feels that way. I will try kefir and maybe those probiotics you mentioned if it seems I need them, thanks

L

Lord Cola

Beef gelatin helps me most with digestion. Having enough fat with meals is also necessary for good digestion for me.

Perry Staltic

You need butyrate, whether via foods that feed the gut bacteria that produce it (mainly fiber) or via supplementation (butyric acid).

mostlylurking

Thiamine + magnesium are needed to heal the gut.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pi0O_fzczYA

Nomane Euger

You need butyrate, whether via foods that feed the gut bacteria that produce it (mainly fiber) or via supplementation (butyric acid).
hi perry,are fruits/vegetables fibers fermentable into butyrate?not sure,i remember you telling me only starches

Ben.

How about a 2 week waterfast with probiotic enemas and all? I think im gonna do it i have PAS. And i want to try it after reading this post:

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/PSSD/comments/ryj0yo/gut_microbiota_theory_pt_2_pssd_is_an_autoimmune/

I find it to be super interesting. The microbiome that is.

My mom had for years acid reflux and issues with bloating/farting no matter what she ate. I gave her a probiotic supplement that didn'T work for me at all and after finishing it she never had any of the symptoms again.

I notice antimicrobials and emptying bowels to relief, even if just temporary, many symptoms and ailments i have in almost a instant. Healing and finding equilibrium longterm is so difficult tho, mostly because noone knows what exactly is needed in a individual. I have the feeling antibiotics caused many of my current issues.

Please be very careful when doing a probiotic enema, i believe they can be insanely dangerous. If you go for it, make sure to have activated charcoal and epsom salts ready on hand.

Maybe @AlphaD can chime in?
His thread was very impressive and i feel like it works around the same issue somehow somewhere but he does not recommend probiotic enemas due to bad experience with it i believe.

OP
D

DonLore

So far, I am having fast improvements with high dose Lugols iodine, avoiding grains and starch and the carrot salad with ACV, coconut oil and garlic/ginger. Fasting is also helpful but only as long as the gut is empty, so it doesnt seem to do anything long term and it really increases stress right now, I couldnt do a longer fast at the moment. But with this pace, the iodine seems to be the thing to cure me. I will report if my success continues

eoin_a

So since being hypo all my life, and clearly having leaky gut since a child, I am now getting better with Peaty diet + iodine, garlic as anti-microbials. But is there anything that would speed up the repair of the gut lining? And since iodine kills most of everything in the gut, what foods would give some "good" bacteria to replace the old bad ones? Sauerkraut, kefir?

I already am grain free, low starch, very low pufa, high fruit, milk, collagen, seafood, etc.
any particular anti-microbials? I have SIBO and I am trying to heal it. garlic i think does something but apart from that im not really using anything.

mostlylurking

i took both for 3 months and had no results
There are a lot of variables. Some people, while being guided by an expert (like Dr. Derrick Lonsdale, for example), have to supplement thiamine for months before improvement is seen. Thiamine deficiency causes the body to create work arounds (to avoid death); it can take a while for normal function to reestablish.

If you are going to try high dose thiamine, it would be a good idea to research it for yourself.

OP
D

DonLore

any particular anti-microbials? I have SIBO and I am trying to heal it. garlic i think does something but apart from that im not really using anything.
Well, while garlic, cinnamon, clove etc can be useful, they are nothing compared to iodine. It literally kills ALL pathogens and very effectively so.

Dean

Why is gelatin better than collagen, especially if it's hydrolyzed?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals