Ray Peat's Take On Leaky Gut?

Is Leaky Gut a cause for concern?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Pliskin

I've been reading a bit about LG and as usual some believe it's a problem and some don't. From listening to a good few of Ray Peat's vids I've only ever heard him briefly mention it in passing and that was in mice. Is anyone out there aware of RP's stance on Leaky Gut?

CoolTweetPete

He believes it is a problem. Here's a relevant quote from Fats, Functions, & Malfunctions,

"When the brain is injured, DHA and arachidonic acid contribute to brain edema, weakening the blood-brain-barrier, increasing protein breakdown, inflammation, and peroxidation, while a similar amount of stearic acid in the same situation caused no harm (Yang, et al., 2007). In other situations, such as the important intestinal barrier, EPA and DHA also greatly increased the permeability (Dombrowsky, et al., 2011)."

CoolTweetPete

Here's another from a very relevant article you might want to check out, Leakiness Aging & Cancer

"In the hormonal environment dominated by estrogen, mild stresses such as exertion, or even restless sleep, allow toxins (and sometimes bacteria) from the intestine to enter the bloodstream, triggering a complex chain of events that create a systemic inflammatory state. Although these processes have been observed in many simple experiments, their implications are almost always neglected or denied or explained away. Incorporation of certain polyunsaturated fats into the tissues increases the leakiness of blood vessels, and amplifies the reactions to stresses and inflammatory stimuli."

Leakiness, aging, and cancer

OP
P

Pliskin

Hmmm, My brain fog makes that really hard to comprehend haha. So basically relaxation, quality sleep and proper regulation of hormones should allow the body to heal its leakiness? I guess I wanted to hear him say : "take this and this and that"

CoolTweetPete

If you read enough of Dr. Peat's work you begin to notice that he never really explicitly recommends anything. His answers often lead to additional questions, and I think this is in order to encourage people to figure things out for themselves.

In this case, I think he's saying that that stress, estrogen, radiation, etc. cause biological disorganization, which affects the barrier function of various types of cells, including cells in the gut. Minimizing stress, consuming gelatin, and avoiding PUFA & radiation are a good start.

Other things I would mention might help for gut health -- Raw carrot salad, MitoLipin (IdeaLabs), Cascara Sagrada

tara

Avoiding carrageenan may be relevant. It is present in many processed foods, including many dairy products, eg cottage cheese, icecream, flavoured milks, etc.
If you have trouble digesting gluten effectively, that could cause trouble.
Peat mentions problems arising from endotoxin absorption from the gut.

OP
P

Pliskin

I think a big part of my problem has been over consuming starches and things that are hard for me to digest... things that promote fermentation and bacteria proliferation. I think the wastes from those bacteria and fungus has wrecked my gut barrier... I'm at the point where bone broth makes me come out in horrible skin rashes and fissures :(

Edit: Also I've got massive brain fog constantly but can be worsened with various foods... I think I've heard RP say this is an symptom of endotoxin. I'm guessing endotoxin in the gut, right? Leaking through...

Last edited:
I think a big part of my problem has been over consuming starches and things that are hard for me to digest... things that promote fermentation and bacteria proliferation. I think the wastes from those bacteria and fungus has wrecked my gut barrier... I'm at the point where bone broth makes me come out in horrible skin rashes and fissures :(

Edit: Also I've got massive brain fog constantly but can be worsened with various foods... I think I've heard RP say this is an symptom of endotoxin. I'm guessing endotoxin in the gut, right? Leaking through...

Sounds like sensitivity to histamines.

EIRE24

Be suspicious of leftovers. Food cooked a long time like braises and broth. There are lists of high histamine foods. Fermented foods, pickles.

Surely there is some way to be able to tolerate these foods? Improving metabolism?

OP
P

Pliskin

On Ray Peat's website it says he conducts private nutritional counselling. Anyone know if he still does this? I'm really interested in having some personalised nutritional advice.

ddjd

haidut recommended coconut oil for leaky gut I believe

richofden

Forum Supporter
If you read enough of Dr. Peat's work you begin to notice that he never really explicitly recommends anything. His answers often lead to additional questions, and I think this is in order to encourage people to figure things out for themselves.

In this case, I think he's saying that that stress, estrogen, radiation, etc. cause biological disorganization, which affects the barrier function of various types of cells, including cells in the gut. Minimizing stress, consuming gelatin, and avoiding PUFA & radiation are a good start.

Other things I would mention might help for gut health -- Raw carrot salad, MitoLipin (IdeaLabs), Cascara Sagrada
well said.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals