Is Taking L-Glutamine For Leaky Gut Peat Friendly?

yoshiesque

I have some gut issues, im starting to think i got leaky gut and would like to try large amounts of L-Glutamine. I am going to be doing some tests with the doctor, but thats for SIBO. Leaky gut is hard to diagnose.

So, just wondering if there is info on whether glutamine is bad? I know tryptophan is and as such have stopped taking whey protein.

Memma

Yoshiesque,
I am interested in this question also. I wonder why none responded to your query. Did you find out anything useful since then?

tara

PeatThemAll

Background: Glutamine (GLN) is the preferred fuel for enterocytes, and GLN supplementation is critical during stressful conditions. The aim of this study was to evaluate the effect of GLN on intestinal barrier permeability and bacterial translocation in a murine experimental model. Methods: Swiss male mice (25–30 g) were randomized into 3 groups: (1) sham group; (2) intestinal obstruction (IO) group; (3) IO and GLN (500 mg/kg/d) group. Two different experiments were carried out to assess intestinal permeability and bacterial translocation. In the first experiment, the animals were divided into the 3 groups described above and received diethylenetriamine pentaacetate radiolabeled with technetium (99mTc) on the eighth day. At different time points after intestinal obstruction, blood was collected to determine radioactivity. The animals were killed, and the small intestine was removed for histological analyses. In the bacterial translocation study, on the eighth day all groups received Escherichia coli labeled with 99mTc. After 90 minutes, the animals underwent intestinal obstruction and were killed 18 hours later. Blood, mesenteric lymph nodes, liver, spleen, and lungs were removed to determine radioactivity. Statistical significance was considered when P ≤ .05. Results: The levels of intestinal permeability and bacterial translocation were higher in the IO group than in the sham and GLN groups (P < .05). GLN decreased intestinal permeability and bacterial translocation to physiologic levels in the treated animals and preserved intestinal barrier integrity. Conclusions: GLN had a positive impact on the intestinal barrier by reducing permeability and bacterial translocation to physiologic levels and preserving mucosal integrity.

Glutamine Supplementation Decreases Intestinal Permeability and Preserves Gut Mucosa Integrity in an Experimental Mouse Model

NathanK

I think there are much better ways of skinning this cat. Glutamic acid is one of those things most have ample amount of esp if you have any "case of the nerves" (if you feel pretty good from glycine or taurine then thats a good sign of excess).

Start with your tests and then maybe move on to things like carrot salad, MB, or low dose antibiotics. Leaky gut is a smirk-worthy diagnosis since it is such a general catch-all for so many random practitioners.

If you just want a general Peat statement on the substance then youll be hard pressed to find him say good things about it.

magnesiumania

I love L-glutamine. Probably because ive been subject to trauma and stress in my life. First time i did only 2 grams i morphed into another human being.... im metabolically very strange tho....

Ive basically experiemented with most amino acids, to learn but glutamine i was always very cautious with as its a precursor to glutamate (excitatory). Im not sure if i experienced serotonin syndrom, epilepsy, a stroke or just high excitotoxicity or all of the above but i experience a very traumatic state of conciousness about a year ago and have been researching anyting related to chemistry every since...

About isolated amino acids first rule is you dont take ANY amino acid alone for extended periods of time. Some really have to learn this the hard way although its very obvious. But i'd say try it if you wanna see how it can heal your gut. For me i could RELAX for the first time in a while and ive tried 100 supplements.....Just dont go nuts, back off and stay safe ;)

Also i wanna add that you always wanna supplement the b-vitamins (from natural sources, like bee pollen or nutritional yeast preferably) and magnesium to support you glutamine-glutamate-GABA pathway.

Retinoic acid also stimulate the production of the enzyme that convert glutamate to GABA so liver or anything high in retinol is beneficial when you take glutamine.

Motif

After all those years - what helped you the most for those symptoms?