Post shortages of things that you notice here

michael94

On a related note, the next biggest exporter of food after the United States is the NETHERLANDS. It's amazing how productive that little country is

here's an article I just found in case anyone is bored How The Netherlands Is The World’s Second Largest Food Exporter

edit: actually this is misleading because they import a lot of the food and process it, but still a very interesting topic

Attachments

• Agricultural_exports_by_country.png
    Agricultural_exports_by_country.png
    24 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

LA

good thing about America is that it's very food secure domestically, so long as domestic transportation is not hindered. I think we'll be ok missing a few shipments from China. However a fuel shortage could be devastating because most of our agriculture, dairy etc. relies on industrial equipment. I dont have any reason to assume that would happen though and I hope there are contingency plans setting aside fuel for essential services just in case.
Thank you and I know that there are dairy farms in many places in the USA and also many places (households) can grow some of their own food. We actually raised chickens for a while and they are great at eating all the bugs.

Rafe

@michael94 those ag production maps of US are great. And from that Netherlands article, the US imports eggs from there?? Unexpected.

Got suggestions for where I can look for more like that? I sometimes listen to Ice Age Farmer, but he’s not that much about farm production, more about news on food supply.

DrJ

Work in engineering and we are having extreme difficulties sourcing all sorts of components:

- DC power supplies
- anything with microprocessor
- many types of electrical connectors
- fans
- touchscreens
- specialty cables

I've never seen it so bad. I probably spend a third of my time dealing with supply chain issues and looking for alternative components where I used to spend zero time on such things. I'm paying double the price on some components which will kill our margins.

osar

michael94

@michael94 those ag production maps of US are great. And from that Netherlands article, the US imports eggs from there?? Unexpected.

Got suggestions for where I can look for more like that? I sometimes listen to Ice Age Farmer, but he’s not that much about farm production, more about news on food supply.
just google for 2020 Food production map there are all sorts that the Agricultural administrations make

Attachments

• Winter_Wheat.jpg
    Winter_Wheat.jpg
    531.5 KB · Views: 7
  • Spring_Wheat.jpg
    Spring_Wheat.jpg
    501 KB · Views: 9

Lollipop2

Chips - cars, electronics, CPAP and BIPAP machines, refrigerators - many goods have a waiting list.

Rafe

@michael94 Thank you.

I think we’re gonna need a new thread on sharing tips on work-arounds. We’re starting a new phase.

Dolomite

Forum Supporter
Lots of shortages in the lab. A main one is blood draw tubes.

Birdie

Lots of shortages in the lab. A main one is blood draw tubes.
I heard about the tube shortage in the UK. It would make sense in other places I guess.

JamesGatz

ORANGE AND TANGERINE JUICE - NEVER THOUGHT I'D SEE THE DAY - My Shoprite and Trader Joe shelves are empty on multiple different days with notices related to "delays/sourcing" - Which I have never in my life seen happen cause I go early in the morning to catch that supply truck - this man GATES knows where to strike the people where it matters

jnklheimer

same as usual, occasionally some stores are out of what we want and if asked they tell us when they will be getting more of something or if it has been discontinued.
In the past we (my husband and I) used to purchase Gerolsteiner. It now seems toxic 'to us' due to our experience last June 2021. We have some differences and similarities - both white I was born-female-still-female, 5' 5" and my husband was born-male-still-male 5'11" we often react differently to different foods and drinks.
However - -
*BOTH* of us had similar experiences even though each of us is sometimes able to eat or drink something the other does not like or can not digest.
We both became nauseous and dizzy after drinking 1to 2 cups each of Gerolsteiner and I also developed a headache. This *never* happened in the past.
We used to enjoy the Gerolsteiner bubble water on a hot summer day.
We have not trashed 2 bottles since my husband says he will use it on the plants in pots and will also watch to see if it kills those plants
The ingredients listed on GEROLSTEINER, Sparkling Natural, Mineral Water, with natural carbonation added, High Mineral Content" Product of Germany are:
-------------------------------------
"Gerolsteiner Mineral Content"
(Amount Per Liter) mg/L
Calcium 345
Magnesium 100
Bicarbonate 1,800
Sodium 115
Chloride 40
Potassium 10
Sulfate 35
Other Minerals 55
--------------------------------------
Total Mineral Content
(Total Dissolved Solids) 2,500
--------------------------------------
Probably dont need a bunch of dissolved solids anyway. (grin) Get a good water distiller and pour your distilled water through a carbon filter. Drink Milk for your Calcium and Potassium and take Magnesium supplements or eat a high magnesium food. (Blackstrap Molasses contains Calcium, Magnesium, Potassium, and Sodium.) Bubbles are added to other products too.
Best wishes.
What is the purpose of carbon filtering distilled water?

Birdie

I went to Walmart today. Looking for my favorite cheap timer that got lost in the move. Not there. Empty space. Had to buy a funny alternative one shaped like a dog. It doesn't do things the other did, but it's a substitute. I bought Kerrygold butter and the shelves weren't as full as usual. Noticed paper towel shelves empty and meager supply of mops and brooms.

Lollipop2

I went to Walmart today. Looking for my favorite cheap timer that got lost in the move. Not there. Empty space. Had to buy a funny alternative one shaped like a dog. It doesn't do things the other did, but it's a substitute. I bought Kerrygold butter and the shelves weren't as full as usual. Noticed paper towel shelves empty and meager supply of mops and brooms.
I also have noticed Kerry gold stock is waaay less at Whole Foods.

Herbie

On a related note, the next biggest exporter of food after the United States is the NETHERLANDS. It's amazing how productive that little country is

here's an article I just found in case anyone is bored How The Netherlands Is The World’s Second Largest Food Exporter

edit: actually this is misleading because they import a lot of the food and process it, but still a very interesting topic
Yeah it all hydroponic, that’s why a lot of the products for growing indoor cannabis are Dutch branded.

tastyfood

I’m in Canada, and nothing. I am still getting extra of a few essentials like coconut oil and instant coffee and more food in freezer than usual but I cant help but feel like it’s more prepper fear mongering as many people are claiming shortages. They were fear mongering last year and even back in spring 2020. I remember people saying we are all gonna starve because some (sounds like casual) farmers weren’t gonna grow their beets that summer. I think USA has backed up ports due to labor issues combined with stupid workplace meme flu rules, but it seems pretty normal.

I stopped drinking gerolsteiner when I saw how heavily contaminated their (even glass) bottles are with plastic. They were worse than cheap brands. What’s the point of paying for premium product and getting the same crap? I’m getting a distiller now and will add carbonation and salts myself.

I’m frankly tired of the fear mongering crap. It pays to be prepared and the only wrench in supply chains is man-made. Politicians will get hung from lamp poles if their stupid policies which impact shipping impact food supply while they continue living the high life. Even truckers going on strike is getting on my nerves, a little.

Anyone remember Tara saying millions would die? Did she stop posting as much?

Do you have any sources about plastic contamination in Gerolsteiner glass bottles?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals