Plant protein has much lower cellular uptake/utilization, compared to animal

haidut

Forum Supporter
Despite the efforts of the powers that be, the evidence against the benefits of plant protein intake continues to accumulate. It has been known since the 1970s that the so-called net nitrogen utilization (NNU) of plant protein is quite low and potentially lower than 0.5, which means that consuming plant protein is actually a net harm for the body. The highest NNU is about 0.9 and applies to whole egg protein as well as gelatin, milk protein is about 0.8, meat is about 0.7-0.75, and the plant proteins tested at the time were all below 0.6 with some data suggesting a value below 0.5. However, those older studies were criticized by Big Agriculture as outdated and poorly designed and we have been bombarded ever since by propaganda 24x7 on how plant protein is the greatest thing under the sun and we should all switch over to eating that instead of animal protein...and if we still feel the need to eat animal protein then we will "eat bugs"...and "be happy" (as WEF claims). Well, the study below pours cold water on many of those claims by demonstrating that 1) plant protein is much less bioavailable compared to animal (chicken, in this case) protein and that 2) human cells have much lower uptake of plant protein compared to the animal protein. Now, the study just came out and I still don't have access to it, but if the older studies are correct plant protein has up to 30% lower bioavailability and 40%-60% lower cellular uptake/utilization compared to animal protein. If those numbers are true then plant protein is a no-go as far as meat replacement, even if the main factor in its usage is climate change since producing that much more protein (to account for its lower absorption/utilization) would negate any benefits it may have on climate change and carbon footprint.

https://pubs.acs.org/doi/10.1021/acs.jafc.2c01711
Human cells take in less protein from a plant-based 'meat' than from chicken

"...Consumers can now buy almost any type of alternative meat, from ground beef to fish sticks. To mimic the look and texture of the real thing, plants are dehydrated into a powder and mixed with seasonings. Then, the mixtures are typically heated, moistened and processed through an extruder. These products are often thought of as being more healthful than animal meats because the plants used to make them are high in protein and low in undesirable fats. However, lab tests have shown that proteins in substitutes don't break down into peptides as well as those from meats. Osvaldo Campanella, Da Chen and colleagues wanted to go a step further and see if human cells can absorb similar amounts of peptides from a model meat alternative as they can from a piece of chicken. The researchers created a model meat alternative made of soy and wheat gluten with the extrusion process. When cut open, the material had long fibrous pieces inside, just like chicken. Cooked pieces of the substitute and chicken meat were then ground up and broken down with an enzyme that humans use to digest food. In vitro tests showed that meat-substitute peptides were less water-soluble than those from chicken, and they also were not absorbed as well by human cells. With this new understanding, the researchers say the next step is to identify other ingredients that could help boost the peptide uptake of plant-based meat substitutes."

piro444

Anecdotal evidence
I had been vegetarian for 10 years, stopped this march, but I’ve been going to the gym for about 4 years (3 if you don’t count the lockdown)
My protein intake has been the same ever since, so that was fixed
All I gotta say is that I’ve made better progress in the last months than ever before
Of course I was making “some progress”, but I was skinnyfat with a bit of muscles (the usual “chubby/fit”)
Nowadays I’m shredding the last pieces of fat with ease, and the only difference is that I eat meat now (and my carb intake has gone up ever since)
Kinda sad tbh, had to learn this the hard way ahah

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Anecdotal evidence
I had been vegetarian for 10 years, stopped this march, but I’ve been going to the gym for about 4 years (3 if you don’t count the lockdown)
All I gotta say is that I’ve made better progress in the last months than ever before
Of course I was making “some progress”, but I was skinnyfat with a bit of muscles (the usual “chubby/fit”)
Nowadays I’m shredding the last pieces of fat with ease, and the only difference is that I eat meat now (and my carb intake has gone up ever since)

Very interesting, thanks for sharing. I think the phytoestrogens in plant protein are also a big (negative) factor when it comes to their health effects, especially on muscles. Just out of curiosity - were you vegan (only plants) or vegetarian (no meat, but eating eggs and cheese)?

GreekDemiGod

Anecdotal evidence
I was eating up to 200g of combined animal + plant protein(80% animal) and still found it hard to build muscle.

piro444

Very interesting, thanks for sharing. I think the phytoestrogens in plant protein are also a big (negative) factor when it comes to their health effects, especially on muscles. Just out of curiosity - were you vegan (only plants) or vegetarian (no meat, but eating eggs and cheese)?
I was vegetarian
I was eating cheese, eggs and everything but fish and meat
Keep in mind tho that to get to ~200g proteins from non-meat sources you don’t have many choices
I used to eat a lot of egg whites + eggs, Greek yogurt and processed cheeses
Most veg protein sources either have a ton of carbs in it (beans, lentils etc) or a lot of fats (cheese or tofu), so you can’t have lean protein by itself
This makes it even harder, because you can’t just pick a lean protein and see how you react, which is way easier with meat, you always have either some fiber, phytoestrogens, carbs that you may digest badly or foods full of PUFAs
Let alone the “protein burgers” lmao, I once ate those fake meat patties and the only thing that I got was bloating and some extra bathroom visits for a week

Nowadays I eat a Peat inspired diet full of foods that I digest well and it shows, my lipomastia is almost gone, same goes for the fat around my waist and in the face
The only “lucky” thing is that I had high estrogens growing up, so my waist is really tiny (28 inch @ 6’1 with broad shoulders)

Elie

Forum Supporter
Anecdotal evidence
As a vegetarian dairy and eggs didn't do it for you?

Aad

Bless bio eggs. I eat 5/day. It's the best natural test booster on this planet

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
What’s the NNU of potatoes?

Probably higher than even egg since actual protein content of potatoes is low, but their keto acid content is high and the bioavailability of the latter is close to 100%, and almost entirely converted into protein without the wastage (ammonia) that all other forms of pre-formed protein generate.

piro444

As a vegetarian dairy and eggs didn't do it for you?
Yes but not enough
If you try to fit into your macros, you find yourself without other fat or carb sources, which meant that you can’t eat much else and trust me, you want to switch your foods after a while
Also, completely anecdotal, non-meat protein are not satisfying, you are still hungry afterwards if you’re on a cut/maintenance phase

Yonebayashian

Probably higher than even egg since actual protein content of potatoes is low, but their keto acid content is high and the bioavailability of the latter is close to 100%, and almost entirely converted into protein without the wastage (ammonia) that all other forms of pre-formed protein generate.
What's the best way to prepare potatoes (besides juicing)? I still kinda struggle with digesting them. I feel like boiling and using vinegar are important but I don't have an optimized procedure yet.

What's the best way to prepare potatoes (besides juicing)? I still kinda struggle with digesting them. I feel like boiling and using vinegar are important but I don't have an optimized procedure yet.

I've been off potatoes for a few months. I am just allergic to them. Dr. Peat says he is too. Rice is fine, masa harina is fine, even wheat is fine...

RPDiciple

@haidut have you looked more into the protein debate and recommendations based on the new Peat interview were he recommends lower? like 50-60 grams and favouring more carbs.

ursidae

Anecdotal evidence
were you vegetarian because of your convictions related to not taking animal lives? I've known lots of vegetarians that are clearly deteriorating and they would not even consider starting to eat meat again, they're not particularly open minded. What pushed you to stop after a decade of being vegetarian?

76er

YMMV

I peel organic Russerts and then cut'em into steak fry size and bake at 425ºF for 40 minutes.

After cooling from the bake I then freeze them in individual bags – ~200g each bag.

Lastly, I fry them while frozen (i.e. no thawing out) lightly in beef tallow before serving.

Yonebayashian

YMMV

I peel organic Russerts and then cut'em into steak fry size and bake at 425ºF for 40 minutes.

After cooling from the bake I then freeze them in individual bags – ~200g each bag.

Lastly, I fry them while frozen (i.e. no thawing out) lightly in beef tallow before serving.
How do you feel after eating them? I heard that refrigerating potatoes after they're cooked turns the starch into a matrix of fiber. This might be the best way to handle eating them without having to constantly cook fresh new potatoes.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals