Plants Can Hear And Even Speak, And Their Talk Depends On Their Disposition

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Fascinating.

Sheila

Hello fellow Planters,
Yet another absolutely delightful thread about plants, thank you.
We are currently in a not unusual, but increasingly severe drought here and have been wondering why we are seeing Apple gums (Angophera sp.) flowering so abundantly. We also keep bees, or should I say, provide homes and water and flowers, as they are free to come and go as they please, all 500,000 of them. So is this floral tree flourishing because so little is flowering and Nature put them there for such times, or did the bees ask for something to eat and the trees that could, made it happen?
Good to be reminded that we really know so very little and that we are part of creation, not the end point.
Best to you all,
Sheila.

B

Braveheart

What kind of plants do you cultivate?
What kind of plants do you cultivate?
sorry Mr Giorgy, my alert not working?....edible: coconuts/main crop, melon, apple banana, chaya/tree spinach, soursop/graviola, moringa, knip, monkey cap...ornamental: royal palm, bouganvillea, hibiscus, oleander, jasmin, gardenia, wild rose, bamboo, croton, flamboyan, etc etc.....some edible are known cancer preventive...the garden is colorful and smells good and is home to a beautiful iguana family...the coconuts keep me and others supplied w sweet coconut water...growing this on small lot across from the sea...a real challenge to grow stuff on this savannah, but the kind I thrive on.

Regina

Hello fellow Planters,
Yet another absolutely delightful thread about plants, thank you.
We are currently in a not unusual, but increasingly severe drought here and have been wondering why we are seeing Apple gums (Angophera sp.) flowering so abundantly. We also keep bees, or should I say, provide homes and water and flowers, as they are free to come and go as they please, all 500,000 of them. So is this floral tree flourishing because so little is flowering and Nature put them there for such times, or did the bees ask for something to eat and the trees that could, made it happen?
Good to be reminded that we really know so very little and that we are part of creation, not the end point.
Best to you all,
Sheila.
so cool

Regina

sorry Mr Giorgy, my alert not working?....edible: coconuts/main crop, melon, apple banana, chaya/tree spinach, soursop/graviola, moringa, knip, monkey cap...ornamental: royal palm, bouganvillea, hibiscus, oleander, jasmin, gardenia, wild rose, bamboo, croton, flamboyan, etc etc.....some edible are known cancer preventive...the garden is colorful and smells good and is home to a beautiful iguana family...the coconuts keep me and others supplied w sweet coconut water...growing this on small lot across from the sea...a real challenge to grow stuff on this savannah, but the kind I thrive on.
:clap: Wow amazing.
I'm trying to create a bamboo paradise at present. Next phase will be getting some more cool plants/fruits.
But maybe post a few snaps of your garden for us!

lvysaur

There's also this book: What a Fish Knows ebook by Jonathan Balcombe - Rakuten Kobo

Fish aren't any dumber than mammals. We just don't feel so bad about killing them because they don't make facial expressions.
tbh I always felt this was somewhat obvious, they are vertebrates after all. Some people draw a weird line between fish and land animals, which resembles the arbitrary line between fruits and "vegetables" (squash, tomato, cucumber, etc)

if plants suffer when you kill and eat them, then it doesn't make sense to be vegan.
It actually makes perfect sense still, because animals eat even more plants. One cube of soy protein = the suffering of a soybean plant. One cube of pig protein = the suffering of the pig + the suffering of the millions of soybean plants that pig ate.

tbh I always felt this was somewhat obvious, they are vertebrates after all. Some people draw a weird line between fish and land animals, which resembles the arbitrary line between fruits and "vegetables" (squash, tomato, cucumber, etc)

It actually makes perfect sense still, because animals eat even more plants. One cube of soy protein = the suffering of a soybean plant. One cube of pig protein = the suffering of the pig + the suffering of the millions of soybean plants that pig ate.
Hum... Didn't think about that. So maybe eating animals that eat other animals is fine? Since we are preventing more suffering by making one criature suffer. Well, some living creature will have to suffer for us to be able to eat. Unless we just eat minerals, vitamins, sugars and aminoacids all made in labs.

bboone

anyone who has ever ingested a large amount of LSD while outside can attest to the truth of this. drugs alter your metabolism and the scanning pattern through which you experience reality, so you are able to see things you didn't see earlier. i would not recommend this though, as too high of a dose can make it extremely creepy and you will begin having thoughts that don't exactly go in the way of "tree hugging"...

suffering is what the world runs on, and i believe earth is basically a breeding ground for the ultimate organism, i.e. the one capable of absorbing and withstanding the largest amount of suffering. human domination is inevitable and irrevocable, and we will eventually exterminate all biological entities that dont directly contribute to our well-being. there's nothing we can do about this, because we are our genetics and our genetics strive towards supremacy.

we are continually adapting and refining, and subconsciously reacting to genetically determined mechanisms that push us further towards total domination. all political phenomena should be understood sociobiologically, imo. the superficial traits we observe are just signifiers for deeper processes that have a different purpose. while i don't subscribe to the concept of "free will" in itself, i don't doubt that our consciousness contains a regulatory mechanism that could easily be interpreted as such. the way we understand and categorize our surroundings has been selectively bred for in order to assure our survival and well-being.

culling of members of its own species is a well-documented phenomenon within many animal communities, not to mention in humans ("abortion") but i almost suspect that humans subconsciously seek out more and more dire circumstances to brave. PUFAs appear to be catastrophical on a level many people on here seem unwilling to accept, but i almost suppose that it is the new environmental challenge we have created for ourselves. if we had the future of our species in mind, we would accept the challenge and eat PUFAs, and those with genetics unfit to procreate under this new circumstance would be removed from the gene pool. there are no inherently natural conditions, only different forms of competition. our bodies understand things our active minds or "consciousness" ever could

(btw i don't recommend anyone to ever use LSD. it is a tool, yes, but not one that is designed to work in your favor. in small doses it could perhaps have some "enlightening" effects for those who are less intellectually developed, but in larger doses it is potentially the most dangerous of all drugs, by an extremely huge margin. it is not under any circumstances worth the risk, as the dosage-to-effect correlation seems sketchy at best. 100 µg could potentially have the same effect for one person as 1000 has for another. it is my personal belief that a lot of research on LSD which shows its negative effects is being purposefully repressed.)

Last edited:

lvysaur

Unless we just eat minerals, vitamins, sugars and aminoacids all made in labs.
Of course, I'm just saying that from an ethical/moral standpoint, this makes no difference. Not advocating veganism.

we would accept the challenge and eat PUFAs, and those with genetics unfit to procreate under this new circumstance would be removed from the gene pool.
This is a false line of thinking. Adapting to a tough environment doesn't make the species better. For instance, cows are adapted to the toughest cheapest diets in existence, of fibrous grass, and have evolved under the constant threat of predators--and I don't think you want to be a cow.

Last edited:
Of course, I'm just saying that from an ethical/moral standpoint, this makes no difference. Not advocating veganism.
I see.

bboone

For instance, cows are adapted to the toughest cheapest diets in existence, of fibrous grass, and have evolved under the constant threat of predators--and I don't think you want to be a cow.

maybe it's just my "false line of thinking" at work again, but adapting to thrive on one of the most abundant food sources on the planet while managing the threat of predators seems like an evolutionary step in the right direction. predators who have evolved to survive on a more nutrient dense food source, such as the tiger, are far, far behind cattle in terms of evolutionary adaptation. so yes, i would want to be a cow, lol. survival and biological overcoming has nothing to do with the human sense of aesthetics, so while feline species look cool, the fact that they often go extinct when the one source of nourishment they have adapted to suddenly vanishes only betrays their biological inferiority. biological supremacy is inherently apparent. joe roganism has no place in such a discussion

not really relevant to the matter at hand, but a bull would wreck a tiger 1v1

B

Braveheart

:clap: Wow amazing.
I'm trying to create a bamboo paradise at present. Next phase will be getting some more cool plants/fruits.
But maybe post a few snaps of your garden for us!
Sorry Regina, no way to take pics plus not sure how to post. Good luck with your garden...plants seem "social"...they thrive on company and seem to improve/protect the environment for each other...wonderful stuff, gardening!

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter

Man, I wanna be in your garden instead of stuck in snowy DC :):

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Don't get me started. I have long thought of writing a guide on retiring to Belize...I'm afraid it might be too successful.....
I’ll proofread it before publication at no charge. Winning for free....

B

Braveheart

You're a winner Blossom...I still see that Viking girl avatar when I see your name.