New here, experiencing cognitive dissonance from Peat

jandrade1997

What's your age?
I'm 16 years old and have been researching health/nutrition for about 6.5 years now

How did you find the forum?
After reading some articles from raypeat.com, my interest was piqued (that's an understatement considering I've been sacrificing sleep to read about PUFAs) and I decided to ask direct questions to knowledgeable Peatarians.

How did you find Ray Peat's work?
Cruising through some of the posts at bulletproofexec.com, I came across a post about how "fructose makes you stupid and fish makes you smart". Essentially, it showed that fructose given to rats on a DHA deficient diet reduced their ability to navigate a maze and increased the presence of 4-HNE in their blood, while DHA ameliorated these effects. Someone was wondering in the comments how the pro-fructose, anti-PUFA Ray Peat would respond to this study. This comment made me curious about the work of Dr. Peat.

How long have you been Peating?
I am not currently Peating. I am extremely interested in his research but not convinced enough, quite yet, to embrace a high-sugar diet.

What is your favorite part about Peating?
Since I'm not Peating, I'll disucss my favorite aspects of Peat's research. I love that he makes no unsubstantiated claims ad backs up all of his ideas with research. I find his specificity to specific health factors, such as metabolism and thyroid function, useful however can be limiting when other, non-metabolic functions have to be considered.

What is the worst part?
I came to Peat's research from a background of Asprey's bulletproof diet and Kruse's Epi-paleo theories. If you're familiar with these at all, you can see why I have quite a bit of cognitive dissonance. Kruse emphasizes fatty fish consumption to fuel brain growth. Further, both of these researchers advocate a low-carb, partially ketogenic diet for a variety of documented reasons. Obviously, these core ideas are in direct opposition with some core ideas of Peat's. These disagreements between three highly intelligent and knowledgeable researches have had me really confused lately.

What are your health issues?
I have no particular health issues. I am just extremely interested in optimal health and function, and I know not being sick does not mean I'm as healthy as I can be.

I have dozens of questions about particular things such as coconut oil's effect on endocrine balance, but I'm going to save those for more specific posts. I hope I can find a lot of answers at this fantastic forum!

leo

Wow...you started reading about this stuff at 10 yrs of age??

Kudos to you for taking charge of your health!!!

Wish I could go back to 10 yrs of age and start all over again.

You're one smart guy!

Dan Wich

Welcome, jandrade! You might be interested in comparing notes with BigPapaChakra who's also exploring Peat in comparison to Asprey and Kruse.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
ecstatichamster Post Here If You Are Experiencing Flu-like Symptoms Symptoms, Causes 250
charlie Covid "Vaccine" Adverse Reaction Reports (Post Here) Vaccines 389
bzmazu Learned Helplessness is Here..... Society 19
charlie "Gestapo is not allowed here!" " Nazi's are not allowed here!" "Nazi psychopaths!" The Ray Peat Forum Lounge 50
youngsinatra Post Your Experience With Topical Vitamin A Here Metabolism 18
C Chronic health problem (Dehydration) - Faint hope somebody here might have some ideas Symptoms, Causes 200
A New here! Edema, blood sugar, and the likes Ask For Help or Advice 0
M Anybody here really cured histamine intolerance? Ask For Help or Advice 102
G Anyone here have access to a lab or hospital or research facility? Blood Work, Labs 3
M Anybody here got real sick from covid? Ask For Help or Advice 45
B New Here. Asperger ? Autism 9
Drareg The woke personas are starting bait threads here? Society 36
skuabird New here: Coming from carnivore Meet & Greet 8
mayku-T-meelo Seeds - Tips and Experience, Raising Plants, Any Farmers Around Here? Book Recommendations 0
M New here - Might need a little help Meet & Greet 9
L SArsCov2 is here to stay - yearly vaccinations - aggressive Mutations? Vaccines 1
ecstatichamster Post Covid “vaccine” deaths here Ray Peat Topics 513
J Why nobody here posts proof of regrowth Hair & Nails 58
D Anemia in senior male - any iron metabolism Wizards / practitioners in here? Ask For Help or Advice 2
egoy Noob here! I have some questions regarding peat lifestyle Ask For Help or Advice 11
PaintedPony New Here And Would Welcome Metabolic Advice Metabolism 4
thingsvarious I Have Tried It All: T4, T3-only, T3/T4-combo, NDT. Here I Share What I Learned T3 105
Sscobalt Had A Stool Test Done, Here Are The Results Digestion, Gut Flora 5
Harryedgar Pufa Seems More Anabolic Than SAT Here - What Do Y’all Think? Polyunsaturated Fats, Seed Oils 4
thingsvarious I Tried Out Every Diet Under The Sun. Here I Share What I Learned Diet 58
thingsvarious I Replace All My Hormones. Here Is What I Learned Experiments 41
A Here Is How To Drink 1 Liter Of Cow Milk At Once Without Feeling Cold Milk 18
M Any Long Term High Sugar Consumers Here? Discussing Dietary Models 28
P New Here - Heartburn Advice Digestion, Gut Flora 3
A Whose Are Being Exposed To Talc(oral) Daily Here? Ask For Help or Advice 0
Hans The One Gut Bacterium You Have To Boost (and Here’s How) Articles & Scientific Studies 45
U Anybody Here Eating Buckwheat? Diet 21
Energizer Here's Why You Need To Get OFF Their Grid Video 4
D Any Open Water Swimmers Here ? Exercise 0
Drareg COVID 19 Health Passport Is Here! Articles & Scientific Studies 21
D Will We Be Forced To Take The Covid Vaccine When Its Here? Viruses, Parasites, Fungus, Vaccines 51
yerrag Happy Days Are Here Again! Viruses, Parasites, Fungus, Vaccines 13
J New To The Forum. Been Doing A Experiement Here Recently Experiments 21
ecstatichamster Post Your Vitamin A Success Stories Here Please Vitamins 42
burtlancast "Am I The Only One Here Who's Not A Sociopath?" Wonders Nurse Seeing Colleagues Killing Covid Folks Miscellaneous Health Discussions 38
B What Personality Types Do We Have Here? Polls 17
H Would A Knowledgeable Doctor Be Helpful Around Here? Ask For Help or Advice 53
A.R Anyone Here Taken EPO Before? Pharmaceutical Drugs 6
L Remdesivir Your Savior Is Here Scientific Studies 11
Gadreel Has Anyone Here Tried A 99% L Dopa Supplement Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 2
ecstatichamster Post Here If You Tried Losartan For Flu Covid-19 Etc Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 95
T Anyone Here Get A Hair Transplant? What Has Your Experience Been? Hair & Nails 3
C Any Plant Based Eaters Here? Share Your Story! Diet 44
A Does Aspirin Cause Permanent Hearing Loss And Tinnitus? If So, Why It's Still Being Promoted Here? Aspirin 18
Velve921 If I Could Start Implementing Peats Work Again 6 Years Ago, Here’s What I Would Do Testimonials 134