Hullo

sarahevebee

:) Hi Folks!
I've been lurking for a while. Thought it might be time to introduce myself and stop being a creeper. My name's Sarah. I'm going to copy/paste the questions.

What's your age?

How did you find the forum?
Google search

How did you find Ray Peat's work?
Danny Roddy; I was coming off of a 'detox' diet and beginning to eat Paleo...was obsessively researching health and nutrition, and asked my roommate if there was anything he'd like me to research...he said 'hair loss!' (Which was incidentally something I was also interested in but never looked up!) So that led me to Danny Roddy who led me to Peat.

How long have you been Peating?
I wouldn't necessarily say I've been 'Peating'...but I've incorporated some of his work into my lifestyle...off an on for the past year or so.

What is your favorite part about Peating?
DAIRY

What is the worst part?
Being a charity case and living on food my friends give me. (I went without milk for a month, it felt horrible.)

What are your health issues?
I haven't had any testing done so I really don't know for sure, but...some things I don't enjoy experiencing:
- Acne
- Depression
- Lethargy
- Thinning hair (started when I quit birth control about 7 years ago, my friends don't notice it and think I'm crazy...but I can feel the difference, and it's noticeable to me.)
- Irregular BMs (Wasn't planning on sharing that but whatevs.)
- OCD spectrum disorder (obsessive skin picking...I want to treat this through diet, but keep failing.)
-Insomnia

What other questions should we ask?.......
Dunno. But I have a question for y'all...got any ideas regarding achieving optimum nutrition on a tight budget? Like...$20/week? (I bought my milk at the 99 cent store last week...not sure if that was a good idea.)

Bruv

Hello Sarah,
I am also new so I can't really offer you any advice. Good luck though.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Sarah, :welcome

Yikes $20 a week! :( Well, 99 cent milk is a good start I guess. If it does not cause you any digestive stress then maybe it will be ok.

4peatssake

:welcome2 to the forum Sarah!

If tolerated, you can get concentrated oj for under a dollar at Walmart or maybe even your dollar store. If possible, I'd save up and order some gelatin if I could and I'd source a decent coffee. You can probably find sugar cheap - look for sales.

Coffee, gelatin, milk and sugar is a very good meal. Add oj and eggs to your diet and you'll have a good base.

You may be able to find a local farmer for free range eggs, perhaps even set up a barter. Picking your own fruit may be an option too, depending on where you live and/or offering to pick fruit in exchange.

Just a few ideas of the top of my head.

Glad you have joined us.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Agree about the concentrated OJ too. I was thinking about that and came back to post it.

Great advice from 4ps.

OP
sarahevebee

sarahevebee

Bruv said:
Hello Sarah,
I am also new so I can't really offer you any advice. Good luck though.
Hi Bruv, thanks for the luck!

Charlie said:
Sarah, :welcome

Yikes $20 a week! :( Well, 99 cent milk is a good start I guess. If it does not cause you any digestive stress then maybe it will be ok.

It might be causing some digestive stress...I don't think I've ever really tolerated milk all that well, though - even when I could afford organic grass-fed raw milk it still seemed to cause gas... :?
I've also been experiencing some diarrhea since implementing the daily raw carrot back in my diet (hadn't been doing it for a few months) :oops: Is that normal?

4peatssake said:
:welcome2 to the forum Sarah!

If tolerated, you can get concentrated oj for under a dollar at Walmart or maybe even your dollar store. If possible, I'd save up and order some gelatin if I could and I'd source a decent coffee. You can probably find sugar cheap - look for sales.

Coffee, gelatin, milk and sugar is a very good meal. Add oj and eggs to your diet and you'll have a good base.

You may be able to find a local farmer for free range eggs, perhaps even set up a barter. Picking your own fruit may be an option too, depending on where you live and/or offering to pick fruit in exchange.

Just a few ideas of the top of my head.

Glad you have joined us.

Great ideas!! Thank you :) I hadn't thought about concentrated oj, will definitely pick some up and see how I do with it. A couple questions:
What qualifies as 'decent' when it comes to coffee? I've been suffering without it the past couple days...mornings are tough.
I have some knox gelatin...I know it's not the best quality, but do the benefits outweigh the risks with this one?
Definitely can't get free range eggs around here unless I go to the farmer's market which I can't afford atm...

BUT I go back to work at the end of August, so my broke days will soon be over! It'll be interesting to note the differences in my experience eating low quality v. high quality foods...AND I plan on getting some labs done so I can really tweak my diet to suit my needs :)

Mittir

Drinking half a cup of milk several times a day is easier to digest.
I have noticed that adding some sugar or honey makes milk more digestible.
Milk with added vitamin can cause problem. You can try whole milk to see if it
makes any difference. RP also suggest testing different brands of milk to find the
suitable one. Heating milk also increases its digestibility.
Gelatin can cause digestive problem for some. Gelatin OJ sugar
mix is quite tolerable. Knox should be fine.
Carrot can cause digestive problem if you already have
bad bacteria balance. It takes about 3 weeks to get things settled
bacteria wise. Avoid all starch and fiber, even fiber from fruits.
Potato juice is very nutritious , easy to digest and should be cheap.
There is a thread on potato juice. You can use pure sugar if
good fruits are not available. Vitamin and minerals from potato
juice can support processing of pure sugar.

4peatssake

sarahevebee said:
Great ideas!! Thank you :) I hadn't thought about concentrated oj, will definitely pick some up and see how I do with it. A couple questions:
What qualifies as 'decent' when it comes to coffee? I've been suffering without it the past couple days...mornings are tough.
I have some knox gelatin...I know it's not the best quality, but do the benefits outweigh the risks with this one?
Definitely can't get free range eggs around here unless I go to the farmer's market which I can't afford atm...

BUT I go back to work at the end of August, so my broke days will soon be over! It'll be interesting to note the differences in my experience eating low quality v. high quality foods...AND I plan on getting some labs done so I can really tweak my diet to suit my needs :)
Organic coffee would be best but Jenn mentioned on another thread she gets hers from the dollar store because it's cheap. Make sure to read the labels. My preference is for a brand called Kicking Horse - I get it in Canada but I have seen it in the US.

There's a few coffee threads where other forum members mention the brands they are using. That may help. Coffee is really so good, having so many benefits.

The knox gelatin is OK but not very economical and not the best, but certainly better than nothing if tolerated. Maybe once you get back to work you can find a better buy.

Potatoes if tolerated are OK, especially when money is tight.
Ray wrote this to me recently about potatoes.

Ray Peat said:
When a person has limited money for food, potatoes are a better staple than beans or oats. Starches associated with saponins, alkaloids, and other potentially pro-inflammatory things make them a less than ideal food, if you have digestion-related health problems, and if you can afford to choose. New potatoes are tastier, less starchy, and probably less likely to cause digestive irritation.

Make sure to cook potatoes for at least 40 minutes and use lots of butter or coconut oil and salt. A number of us also make home-made french fries in coconut oil.

Great news that you'll be back to work and can soon get better quality food. So important for us!

Keep us posted how you do!

OP
sarahevebee

sarahevebee

Mittir said:
Drinking half a cup of milk several times a day is easier to digest.
I have noticed that adding some sugar or honey makes milk more digestible.
Milk with added vitamin can cause problem. You can try whole milk to see if it
makes any difference. RP also suggest testing different brands of milk to find the
suitable one. Heating milk also increases its digestibility.
Gelatin can cause digestive problem for some. Gelatin OJ sugar
mix is quite tolerable. Knox should be fine.
Carrot can cause digestive problem if you already have
bad bacteria balance. It takes about 3 weeks to get things settled
bacteria wise. Avoid all starch and fiber, even fiber from fruits.
Potato juice is very nutritious , easy to digest and should be cheap.
There is a thread on potato juice. You can use pure sugar if
good fruits are not available. Vitamin and minerals from potato
juice can support processing of pure sugar.

I suspect the carrot is killing off bad bacteria...I'm thinking about eating my salad every other day to keep things less intense...
I drink whole milk (I love the taste) with simple syrup and salt and I've gone through a gallon in about a week, drinking a cup at a time and putting it in coffee (when I have it) and tea. I will try different brands though...come to think of it...I think I digest it better when it's hot in my coffee or tea...
Definitely going to pick up some potatoes...
Thanks Mittir!

4peatssake said:
sarahevebee said:

Organic coffee would be best but Jenn mentioned on another thread she gets hers from the dollar store because it's cheap. Make sure to read the labels. My preference is for a brand called Kicking Horse - I get it in Canada but I have seen it in the US.

There's a few coffee threads where other forum members mention the brands they are using. That may help. Coffee is really so good, having so many benefits.

The knox gelatin is OK but not very economical and not the best, but certainly better than nothing if tolerated. Maybe once you get back to work you can find a better buy.

Potatoes if tolerated are OK, especially when money is tight.
Ray wrote this to me recently about potatoes.

Ray Peat said:
When a person has limited money for food, potatoes are a better staple than beans or oats. Starches associated with saponins, alkaloids, and other potentially pro-inflammatory things make them a less than ideal food, if you have digestion-related health problems, and if you can afford to choose. New potatoes are tastier, less starchy, and probably less likely to cause digestive irritation.

Make sure to cook potatoes for at least 40 minutes and use lots of butter or coconut oil and salt. A number of us also make home-made french fries in coconut oil.

Great news that you'll be back to work and can soon get better quality food. So important for us!

Keep us posted how you do!

Great info 4ps! Thank you so much! Home-made french fries in coconut oil sound so delicious, the thought makes my mouth water! I'm excited to pick up coffee and potatoes and get the ball rolling...will definitely keep you posted! :)

Peata

Sometimes I feel I could live on homemade french-fried potatoes in coconut oil with lots of salt (and ketchup) and Coke!

OP
sarahevebee

sarahevebee

mandance said:
Welcome Sara! The best part of this diet for me...is def. the ice cream!
Peata said:
Sometimes I feel I could live on homemade french-fried potatoes in coconut oil with lots of salt (and ketchup) and Coke!

Right now...I want...coconut oil fries...and a mexican coke float !!!!!!!!!!! Mmmmmmmmmm
I wish someone would just feed me all day. As long as they were skilled at preparing food 'Peat style.' Hm, maybe I'll add that to my 'ideal man' list :lol:

OP
sarahevebee

sarahevebee

Question...I ate some PUFA last night (chicken and pork potstickers, my best friend bought 'em for us and I just can't say no to people feeding me!) I suggested we cook them using coconut oil and she agreed...would that help to 'balance' the PUFA out at all? Or is that even a possibility? It seems like it wouldn't be...anyway, I feel incredibly exhausted and headache-y...and I'll probably end up eating more because there are leftovers and I have the hardest time wasting food because that's how I was raised. Sigh.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
If you can throw coconut oil into it, yes, it will help definitely help more then not. Slather it on. :lol:

Mittir

Idea is to drown the bad oil with good oil.
Adding Coconut, butter and all other saturated fat will make things better when you have
to eat PUFA. It makes things better in both short term and long term.
It is the ratio of Saturated fat to PUFA that matters more than the amount of oils.
Ray Peat mentioned that keeping PUFA below 4 grams is protective against cancer.
I do not think ground chicken has that much PUFA, nutritiondata shows
1.5 grams per 100 grams. Not that bad. PUFA content of pork is much higher.

Peata

I also try to pop a vitamin E if I'm having a high PUFA meal.

OP
sarahevebee

sarahevebee

Thanks, guys! I feel better about the potstickers now :)

I <3 coconut oil. I have a friend who can't stand it so he gave me 2 jars...now I have one for guzzling and one for slathering all over my body :lol:

And thanks for the tip, Peata! I made a list of things to buy when I finally get a real paycheck next month...Vitamin E is definitely on there! :cool: There are too many benefits not to pass that one up...

chris

Peata said:
I also try to pop a vitamin E if I'm having a high PUFA meal.

Aspirin and niacinamide would also be beneficial.

OP
sarahevebee

sarahevebee

Are niacin and niacinamide different from each other? I have 2 different kinds of niacin supplements: flush free (inositol hexanicotinate) and regular ('whole brown rice powder' is in the ingredients list.) Would it be beneficial for me to take either of these? I started popping supplements when I was feeling desperate about my acne, but they didn't work so I recently gave up.

Back to the topic of 'Peating' on a budget...
Grocery Outlet is my new favorite food store! (My mom calls it 'gross out' for short :lol: )
I just bough 1gal whole milk, 4lb bag o' sugar, 10lb bag o' potatoes, 2lb nectarines (not sure if these are Peat approved,) 300 tabs uncoated aspirin (325mg ea,) and 14 oz creamy havarti cheese (made with rennet!) all for $17!!!! Perfect, because I had just bought some coffee and OJ from the 99 cent store for a couple bucks so I have spent $20 this week on an incredible amount of food! AND I still have eggs and carrots from last week!

I'm trying to be more consistent about my daily meals because it's really easy for me to reduce my calorie intake due to lack of planning/laziness. Anyone have any tips for meal planning?
What I'd like to do is drink my coffee concoction [it really has become a concoction now; coffee + 2tbs sugar + whole milk (sugar & salt flavored) + 1tbs coconut oil + 1/2 packet knox gelatin + 1/2 tab aspirin (just added that one)] when I wake up in the morning, then have my carrot salad (how long should I wait in between the coffee and salad?) and then eggs cooked in butter with cheese and salted OJ for breakfast (an hour or two after the salad of course)...the rest of the day I'm really not sure what to do with...that's always been the hard part for me...I sort of just snack all day and hope someone asks me out or over for lunch or dinner (I sound like a mooch!) I guess I could just fill the rest of the day with potatoes :P

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals