New here.

FrostedShores

Hi all!
I've been lurking on these forums for a while now. Like a lot of people here, I started out keto/paleo/low-carb, but ended up developing health issues as a result. After digging around on the internet and trying to figure out the cause of my health issues, I stumbled across Ray Peat.
I've been implementing Ray Peat's principles for the past several weeks, and I've been very happy with the results. I still have a lot to learn and a lot of progress to make, but I'm enjoying the process.
Anyways, nice to meet you all!

B

Blaze

Hi all!
I've been lurking on these forums for a while now. Like a lot of people here, I started out keto/paleo/low-carb, but ended up developing health issues as a result. After digging around on the internet and trying to figure out the cause of my health issues, I stumbled across Ray Peat.
I've been implementing Ray Peat's principles for the past several weeks, and I've been very happy with the results. I still have a lot to learn and a lot of progress to make, but I'm enjoying the process.
Anyways, nice to meet you all!
Welcome aboard ...........

Elie

Forum Supporter
Good stuff! Welcome.
For context, Are you male? female? how old?
How long did you try these other diets?
Why did you do keto? health? weight loss?

Lilac

:welcome Me too. Paleo-ish, low-carb, then--thank goodness--Ray Peat.

OP
F

FrostedShores

Good stuff! Welcome.
For context, Are you male? female? how old?
How long did you try these other diets?
Why did you do keto? health? weight loss?
I'm a 34-year-old man. I started out as paleo for about six months, then switched to keto for a little over two years. I was looking into carnivore when I stumbled across Ray Peat.
I started low-carb for several reasons - lack of energy, skin issues (acne, eczema, frequent rashes and bruising), major digestive issues, and just a desire to eat healthier. I'm one of those few people who actually need to gain weight as I've been underweight my entire life, so weight loss was never an issue.
I did notice an improvement in my skin on keto, but not as great of an improvement as I had hoped. My energy levels never went up that much and my digestion got worse. I was getting frustrated with it, but I had read so many books and watched so many videos about how amazing keto was, so I stuck with it. Things really went downhill when I started incorporating intermittent fasting along with strict keto. My energy levels plummeted, I wound up with major GERD, I developed a heart arrhythmia, and I started losing my hair. I was so brainwashed by all the pro-keto/pro-fasting propaganda that I convinced myself I just wasn't fasting long enough... Long story short, my health deteriorated significantly.
I've only been following Ray Peat's principles for a short while, and I've already seen significant improvement. My energy levels are way up! To the point where I have more energy than I have things to do - guess I'll need to find some new hobbies! My digestion has improved greatly - No more GERD, no more stomach cramps, and no more constipation. My skin is looking great! Still have some stubborn rashes, but my eczema has cleared completely and my acne, while still there, has reduced. My heart arrhythmia is still there, but it's less frequent and less severe than before, so I'm hoping it will continue to improve. My hair hasn't grown back yet, but I'm not super concerned about that. I've even gained a couple of pounds, which is a good thing for me!
The only downsides thus far have been some mood swing issues - I started taking pregnenolone and I think this might be the cause of it - and I've been having trouble sleeping. I never drank coffee before, so I'm thinking the caffeine might be causing my sleep issues.
So yeah, I'm still learning and experimenting, but I'm motivated to keep with it!

OP
F

FrostedShores

:welcome Me too. Paleo-ish, low-carb, then--thank goodness--Ray Peat.
Ray Peat is like a breath of fresh air! I still feel a little guilty eating sugar and ice cream after being low-carb for so long, and even though I've read Peat's article about sugar multiple times, there's still a part of me that feels like sugar is bad. It's such a different way of looking at food, it's going to take a while to really settle in that this is good for me. I'm enjoying it, though!

Vins7

Ray Peat is like a breath of fresh air! I still feel a little guilty eating sugar and ice cream after being low-carb for so long, and even though I've read Peat's article about sugar multiple times, there's still a part of me that feels like sugar is bad. It's such a different way of looking at food, it's going to take a while to really settle in that this is good for me. I'm enjoying it, though!
What foods are you eating for having these improvements?

OP
F

FrostedShores

What foods are you eating for having these improvements?
My diet right now is based on the meal plan found in Danny Roddy's book, so lots of milk, OJ, coffee, sugar, cheese, ice cream, a daily carrot salad, and small amounts of eggs, meat, and fish. I'm supplementing vitamin E, K2, niacinamide, collagen, aspirin, pregnenolone, CoQ10, and I recently added berberine.
My macros are roughly 50% carbs, 25% protein, and 25% fat.

Elie

Forum Supporter
Cool! it feels amazing when things improve like this.
Maybe ditch the pregnenalone for now.
Also different things may account for issues with falling asleep versus staying asleep (deep sleep).

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals