Hullo

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Color me impressed with your selection! That's really great!

You want niacinamide, yes it is different from niacin.

Mittir

RP suggests against using inositol hexanicotinate or Nicotinic Acid.
I did not see Nectarine in RP's safe fruits list.
https://www.raypeatforum.com/forum/view ... ?f=2&t=588
Any fruit is better than starch.
Does anyone know why RP does not like Nectarines?
RP suggest using Aspirin with caution.
RP has said lots of things on how to take Aspirin.
It has potential to cause ulcer bleeding. He also suggested to slowly
increase the dose . This gives body time to adjust to it.
Here are some quotes from RP on Aspirin.

Vitamin K (1 or 2) is probably better to use before aspirin, since it helps to prevent both more clotting and
also bleeding. A day after the vitamin K the aspirin would be safer, and it helps to protect brain cells.

If you are taking the aspirin regularly, you should make sure to get vitamin
K, from kale, liver, or a supplement.

Because of contaminants in supplements I seldom recommend the oral use of any of them, except aspirin, which
can be dissolved in warm water to remove most of the additives.
@Charlie Since RP strongly recommends Aspirin,
I think it would be a good idea to gather all the Aspirin related RP
quotes in one place.

OP
sarahevebee

sarahevebee

Sigh. Thanks, Mittir.
I knew about the vitamin K but I tend to forget these important things when I get excited! I'm clearly getting ahead of myself with the aspirin. Is it weird that I absolutely love the taste of it? Aspirin + caffeine is also the only thing that'll kick a migraine for me (I forgot to add 'migraines' under my list of health issues...)
Anyway...how long does liver keep in the freezer? I've had some beef liver in there for a couple months now...I definitely want to get that vitamin k in me ASAP so I can start on this aspirin regimen (the right way!)

4peatssake

I would say if you are not having issues with the aspirin and it is helping you, then use it.

In his very first email to me, when I was just beginning, Ray wrote to me:
Ray Peat said:
Aspirin can help with increasing your metabolic rate.

Jenn

We ate homemade french fries 6 times/day. I personally needed epsom salts, $2 for a 4lb box/bag. The $1 bottle (DG or ALPs) of uncoated aspirin was mandatory for me as well. I didn't start supplementing with niacinamide until much later on. (You may get all you need from coffee.)

Economy wise, knox gelatin packets are around $20-$25/lb. Buying it in bulk will save $ big time. Coconut oil in bulk is NOT necessarily cheaper than buying it in the quart size from Walmart.

OP
sarahevebee

sarahevebee

Thanks 4ps and Jenn!
I continued with the aspirin (I've been using a smaller amount, though) until I started my period on Saturday (5 days early!)
It's interesting how implementing some of these dietary things affects my body really quickly! (Or so it seems at least.)
For example, I started drinking coffee daily a few months ago, and that's when my debilitating period cramps ceased! (Talk about getting all you need from coffee, Jenn!) I just stopped having cramps altogether...I can finally function during menses.
Also, since I recently started doing the daily raw carrot salad again (it's been maybe a week now...) my BMs have seriously regulated. I'm already tolerating milk better (this seems really fast, no?)
AND my period is here 5 days early! Something is a-changin' for sure. My period has been very predictable since drinking the coffee every day, so now that I've taken my 'peating' to a new level...I'm seeing more changes. I noticed an increase in acne, too....faster metabolism? And I've had a little bit more clarity of mind.
Ok, so is this a placebo effect or am I really experiencing these differences as a result of my diet?
Any thoughts?
Oh, and Jenn - where do you buy gelatin in bulk? Online?
Thanks!

Dan W

sarahevebee said:
Ok, so is this a placebo effect or am I really experiencing these differences as a result of my diet?
I think many of us have experienced the changes you've described, so I wouldn't be surprised if they're due to the diet.

sarahevebee said:
Oh, and Jenn - where do you buy gelatin in bulk? Online?
I think this is the one Jenn uses; it's what I plan to buy next since it's really affordable per-ounce:
http://www.bulkfoods.com/wholesale-cook ... ounds.html

Unfortunately you might have to save up for a bit, since it seems like the optimum approach would be to get 10lbs to get the $5 shipping. Maybe someone knows of a cheaper option.

Dan W

Dan Wich said:
Unfortunately you might have to save up for a bit, since it seems like the optimum approach would be to get 10lbs to get the $5 shipping.

Maybe it isn't as important as I thought to optimize shipping. With my address, anyway, even the 5lb quantity of gelatin doesn't exceed $10 in shipping.

OP
sarahevebee

sarahevebee

Thanks for the link, Dan! I have some money coming in on Friday and may be able to afford the 5lb gelatin :)

Jenn

Depending on funds available and amount needed, I have purchased from Azure Standard, bulkfoods.com, amazon.com, and evitamins.com. I only buy regular, non hydrolyzed beef gelatin, brand doesn't matter to me, I have not noticed any difference. It keeps forever, if stored cool and dry. Ok, well maybe not forever, but a years worth wouldn't be overkill, IMO. A 50 lb bag last 6 months in my house. I can go through 2-4 lbs, personally, in a month. Sometimes it's better just to get 5 lbs worth, so you have money available for other things.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Jenn said:
It keeps forever, if stored cool and dry. Ok, well maybe not forever, but a years worth wouldn't be overkill, IMO.

Jenn, have you ever had gelatin go bad?

Jenn

Once you get it wet, you need to eat it or otherwise dispose of it or it will mold. So don't make a large batch of gummy candy than you can eat in a day or two...or freeze them.

For storage, just keep it dry...like your sugar or salt. It melts at less than body temperature, so in theory, you might get globs instead of powder ( making it hard to use), if it got really hot in your kitchen. I have never had an issue.

Rolan

+ 1 for the potatoe and coconut oil diet.

Oh man, in my times of need the good 'ol potato has really come through :pray

Liver is very cheap here in England, I can get a month's supply(If eating 2x p/wk, 2 month's supply if eating 1x p/wk) of grass fed beef liver for £12. 2 lamb's knuckles for £2.50, and so on. 2 lamb shanks for £5, all of the highest quality. It's pretty astonishing really. It's the muscle meat that is expensive, so really we're pretty set if we follow Ray's guidelines. Don't nobody tell society about this! I don't wanna pay £5 for a piece of liver! :lol:

But I'm sure the same rates apply in America for these things, roughly?

OP
sarahevebee

sarahevebee

Jenn said:
Once you get it wet, you need to eat it or otherwise dispose of it or it will mold.
True! I have experienced this before, since I make my own hair setting lotion with gelatin (I often wear my hair in vintage styles using pincurls, and gelatin water provides the best flexible hold.) The longest it seems to keep in the fridge as a solution with mostly water is about a week. Smells horrible when it goes bad.
I'm ordering 5lb gelatin from Azure Standard :D

Rolan said:
But I'm sure the same rates apply in America for these things, roughly?

When I was eating paleo-style, I often bought organ meat and meats with bones (shanks, etc.)from a big farmer's market in my area...and I do remember it being reasonably priced (nobody wants bones 'n' organs...more for us! :D )...I would like to go back there in the next couple months...I haven't had liver in a while...

Mittir

sarahevebee said:
sarahevebee said:
Anyway...how long does liver keep in the freezer?
Anyone? I've resisted tossing it...been several months now...

According to FDA its is 3-4months for liver.
http://www.fda.gov/downloads/Food/Foodb ... 109315.pdf
The best test is the taste. if it taste good then it is most likely ok.
Liver is so nutritious, i think even few months old liver is worth a try.
But i get the best reaction from lightly cooked fresh liver, it acts like an
energy shot. You can also try small amount of fresh liver
to see how these two are different.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals