New here, experiencing cognitive dissonance from Peat

jandrade1997

What's your age?
I'm 16 years old and have been researching health/nutrition for about 6.5 years now

How did you find the forum?
After reading some articles from raypeat.com, my interest was piqued (that's an understatement considering I've been sacrificing sleep to read about PUFAs) and I decided to ask direct questions to knowledgeable Peatarians.

How did you find Ray Peat's work?
Cruising through some of the posts at bulletproofexec.com, I came across a post about how "fructose makes you stupid and fish makes you smart". Essentially, it showed that fructose given to rats on a DHA deficient diet reduced their ability to navigate a maze and increased the presence of 4-HNE in their blood, while DHA ameliorated these effects. Someone was wondering in the comments how the pro-fructose, anti-PUFA Ray Peat would respond to this study. This comment made me curious about the work of Dr. Peat.

How long have you been Peating?
I am not currently Peating. I am extremely interested in his research but not convinced enough, quite yet, to embrace a high-sugar diet.

What is your favorite part about Peating?
Since I'm not Peating, I'll disucss my favorite aspects of Peat's research. I love that he makes no unsubstantiated claims ad backs up all of his ideas with research. I find his specificity to specific health factors, such as metabolism and thyroid function, useful however can be limiting when other, non-metabolic functions have to be considered.

What is the worst part?
I came to Peat's research from a background of Asprey's bulletproof diet and Kruse's Epi-paleo theories. If you're familiar with these at all, you can see why I have quite a bit of cognitive dissonance. Kruse emphasizes fatty fish consumption to fuel brain growth. Further, both of these researchers advocate a low-carb, partially ketogenic diet for a variety of documented reasons. Obviously, these core ideas are in direct opposition with some core ideas of Peat's. These disagreements between three highly intelligent and knowledgeable researches have had me really confused lately.

What are your health issues?
I have no particular health issues. I am just extremely interested in optimal health and function, and I know not being sick does not mean I'm as healthy as I can be.

I have dozens of questions about particular things such as coconut oil's effect on endocrine balance, but I'm going to save those for more specific posts. I hope I can find a lot of answers at this fantastic forum!

leo

Wow...you started reading about this stuff at 10 yrs of age??

Kudos to you for taking charge of your health!!!

Wish I could go back to 10 yrs of age and start all over again.

You're one smart guy!

Dan W

Welcome, jandrade! You might be interested in comparing notes with BigPapaChakra who's also exploring Peat in comparison to Asprey and Kruse.