My theory on why being born with curly hair is superior and perceived as more physically attractive

OP
JamesGatz

JamesGatz

It's the problem with these genetic determinism theories. One gene is dominant doesn't mean it's perceived as being more attractive.
Yes but I think one of the main flaws of this forum is genetics or the discussion of genetics in general is shunned - I am not saying it should be front and center but this forum seems to be in agreement that EVERYTHING matters.

The weather outside matters, the light you use in your house matters, being social with your friends matters, the food you eat matters, the job you are working matters, the altitude you are living in matters

but then when the idea of genetics mattering is brought up - people say "HOW DARE YOU HITLER TYPE PERSON ? HOW DARE YOU ?" - What exactly is the issue here if it's a logical discussion ?

Yes but I think one of the main flaws of this forum is genetics or the discussion of genetics in general is shunned - I am not saying it should be front and center but this forum seems to be in agreement that EVERYTHING matters.

The weather outside matters, the light you use in your house matters, being social with your friends matters, the food you eat matters, the job you are working matters, the altitude you are living in matters

but then when the idea of genetics mattering is brought up - people say "HOW DARE YOU HITLER TYPE PERSON ? HOW DARE YOU ?" - What exactly is the issue here if it's a logical discussion ?
Lol such a snowflake. Never said you were Hitler. Maybe go back to read the original post.

But Planck's constant level of IQ...I can feel that ;)

OP
JamesGatz

JamesGatz

Lol such a snowflake. Never said you were Hitler. Maybe go back to read the original post.

But Planck's constant level of IQ...I can feel that ;)
Yea of course you want to back-track and play semantics - "I didn't say exactly that" - haha of course you didn't buddy

You're the one who brings up "OMG HITLER" comments when I am having a serious discussion about the effects of certain genetic traits on metabolism and I'm the snowflake ... alright man whatever you say kid

Last edited:

Dr. B

Peat has talked about genetics, like how the stresses are cumulative and transfer over generations. the hair texture or color, or eye color or shape or size, or nose etc has to have a function. thickness cant be associated with curliness, my hair got more wavy when i reached puberty as well as got more wavy when it got thinner

the eye color could be an adaptation to less sunlight, and smaller eyes could be to counteract dryer or windier weather

parallax

I have the most luscious locks ever, full and curly like a doctored shampoo commercial. Harassed with compliments my entire life, except for the last two years of high school when I shaved my head. Am I the prova definitiva of señor Gatz's hypothesis that Samson's locks had a complex interplay with his nazarite vow and were indeed a direct source of strength?

Machina

All this bickering aside whether you disagree or not I think JamesGatz has been bringing interesting content and posts to the forum and I enjoy seeing them and looking through them. I like the diversity in new stuff being brought to the forum and his specifically has caught my eye for sure. I'm interested in what comes. Keep it up @JamesGatz

mamakitty

I notice that when I wear headwear (such as a cap or a beanie or over a t-shirt over my head - I get a great boost in temps/metabolism and serotonin is lowered tremendously - I suspect because a raise in temps in the brain (head insulation) helps boost metabolism

I notice that people with very thick, curly hair that I have known throughout my life tend to also have lower serotonin - more relaxed attitudes and everyone I knew throughout my life that was more aggressive, less chill, had issues with anxiety had straight, thinner hair when compared to the people I know with curls - with no exception to the rule.

I think being born with thicker hair/curls is 24/7 head insulation that isn't as strong in people with straight hair and subsequently better metabolisms - I have always found women with curls/thicker hair very attractive and wasn't sure of the evolutionary reason until now...
This cannot be true, it’s anecdotal and an opinion, I understand, but it does go against an almost universal understanding.

Everyone’s taste is different, however, you will find straight glossy hair is deemed a higher standard of beauty across cultures. Beauty standards are highly correlated with health status. You can see straight hair is the most coveted if you even glance at any media of any country. Hair straightening products and procedures are literally billions of dollars industries.

I personally find straight hair the most attractive especially on women. In facr, curly hair is a bit masculine imo.
Also, anecdotally, I find people, but especially women, with curly hair not so much laissez faire, but rather chaotic in their energy and very unpredictable. I actually used to get stressed out sitting next to them. They tend to take up more space and are generally loud personalities.

Anyway, personally I always had straight and smooth shiny hair until my health started to decline and then it got progressively wavier and frizzy. I’m actually depressed about it and I try my best to restore my hair’s health but it seems very difficult to do so.

mamakitty

During the time I had the worst health and the worst metabolism of my life, I had very thick, curly hair. The healthier I get, the straighter it tends to be. Can't say this is universal but it's what I've noticed personally.
It’s universal

OP
JamesGatz

JamesGatz

This cannot be true, it’s anecdotal and an opinion, I understand, but it does go against an almost universal understanding.

Everyone’s taste is different, however, you will find straight glossy hair is deemed a higher standard of beauty across cultures. Beauty standards are highly correlated with health status. You can see straight hair is the most coveted if you even glance at any media of any country. Hair straightening products and procedures are literally billions of dollars industries.

I personally find straight hair the most attractive especially on women. In facr, curly hair is a bit masculine imo.
Also, anecdotally, I find people, but especially women, with curly hair not so much laissez faire, but rather chaotic in their energy and very unpredictable. I actually used to get stressed out sitting next to them. They tend to take up more space and are generally loud personalities.

Anyway, personally I always had straight and smooth shiny hair until my health started to decline and then it got progressively wavier and frizzy. I’m actually depressed about it and I try my best to restore my hair’s health but it seems very difficult to do so.
Well, now that I have matured a bit in my knowledge and become a lot wiser as a man - I would like to say that I would like to replace the word "curly" hair that I used for this thread with "wavy hair" - I had always viewed wavy hair as very thick and a lot warmer than straight hair but I had used the word curly - I stand by what I said in this thread as it pertains to wavy hair but I had used the word curly hair incorrectly when I had originally made this thread and was referring to wavy hair as curly hair haha

LadyRae

I notice that when I wear headwear (such as a cap or a beanie or over a t-shirt over my head - I get a great boost in temps/metabolism and serotonin is lowered tremendously - I suspect because a raise in temps in the brain (head insulation) helps boost metabolism

I notice that people with very thick, curly hair that I have known throughout my life tend to also have lower serotonin - more relaxed attitudes and everyone I knew throughout my life that was more aggressive, less chill, had issues with anxiety had straight, thinner hair when compared to the people I know with curls - with no exception to the rule.

I think being born with thicker hair/curls is 24/7 head insulation that isn't as strong in people with straight hair and subsequently better metabolisms - I have always found women with curls/thicker hair very attractive and wasn't sure of the evolutionary reason until now...
My hair, as you can see in my thumbnail, is very curly and shiny. It was not always this way! It was coarse and dull and straight , maybe with a little bit of wave , until I started having children when I was 27. But with each child my hair got curlier and shinier. Now I'm going to be 44 on Sunday; my hair is so curly and in places there are tight ringlets. And I've been the same weight since I was 22.

LadyRae

My hair has gotten curlier and curlier since I was 27 and I started having children. I have four children and with each one the curliness was increased! It used to be straight but really boring. I do not agree with your opinion at all! As you can see from my thumb nail, there's nothing masculine about my hair LOL.
People who have known me for a long time are just amazed at what my hair has become over the past 15 years or so. And I get a lot of compliments on my hair from complete strangers. I understand that it is quite unique.

I think it is silly to turn this thread into a battle of: what's more attractive?! Curly or Straight!?

OP
JamesGatz

JamesGatz

My hair, as you can see in my thumbnail, is very curly and shiny. It was not always this way! It was coarse and dull and straight , maybe with a little bit of wave , until I started having children when I was 27. But with each child my hair got curlier and shinier.
Yes I see ... it is in fact very curly and shiny I am a bit jealous - maybe I should look into having children as well because I would like curly and shiny hair as well but unfortunately women just want to use me for them to play with these days and none of them want a serious relationship with me :(

LadyRae

Yes I see ... it is in fact very curly and shiny I am a bit jealous - maybe I should look into having children as well because I would like curly and shiny hair as well but unfortunately women just want to use me for them to play with these days and none of them want a serious relationship with me TouTo

Yes I see ... it is in fact very curly and shiny I am a bit jealous - maybe I should look into having children as well because I would like curly and shiny hair as well but unfortunately women just want to use me for them to play with these days and none of them want a serious relationship with me :(
Your humorous replies are appreciated ?. So much fear and uncertainty in the dating scene .... People don't know what they want?

You could always get a perm...

Rastafaris think hairs are antennas to important cosmic rays and that letting them curl into locks creates vortexes which make them even more powerful. ?

LadyRae

Rastafaris think hairs are antennas to important cosmic rays and that letting them curl into locks creates vortexes which make them even more powerful. ?
?
Rainy days yield markedly increased energetic curls and body- this the season for Power!

InChristAlone

My hair has gotten curlier and curlier since I was 27 and I started having children. I have four children and with each one the curliness was increased! It used to be straight but really boring. I do not agree with your opinion at all! As you can see from my thumb nail, there's nothing masculine about my hair LOL.
People who have known me for a long time are just amazed at what my hair has become over the past 15 years or so. And I get a lot of compliments on my hair from complete strangers. I understand that it is quite unique.

I think it is silly to turn this thread into a battle of: what's more attractive?! Curly or Straight!?
Amen, it's silly and immature.

mamakitty

You can disagree with my opinion and I with yours. However, straight hair us universally coveted. It’s good you love your hair and it looks good on you. But straight hair is still the pinnacle of beauty standards across cultures. You obviously must have seen lots of advertisements and other media stuff since you are a woman. I’m stating what is true regardless of my feelings. No need to internalise an opinion and get hurt, just enjoy the compliments you get.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom