The evolutionary importance of hair and why brushing/combing is detrimental to your health

Summer

Okay, but take a look at vintage photos of Native American men. A lot of them obviously put effort into maintaining their hair and decorating it, and their hairlines seemed to be nearly flawless even in old age.

Herbie

Yeah when taking cyproheptadine I notice my hair looks and feels better due to lower serotonin perhaps.

Pistachio

Also anyone has to do is brush or massage their scalp and realize that it feels good, not bad. I don't understand why you are trying to blame brushing, etc. for hair loss. It doesn't make any sense.

Eberhardt

I hear people say it distributes the oils but when people have their hair shiny after brushing it looks like that "Serotonin shine" that people have in their hair when their serotonin is high

When I see a woman with this type of hair after combing - brittle, thin, and shiny which looks like "serotonin shine" to me

View attachment 33555

Women who dont tend to bother their hair that much I notice tend to have much thicker, volumous hair - I notice a womans hair flattens without exception when brushing/combing which seems to me to be a sign of how brittle the hair has that it is no longer able to stand

Volume/thickness of hair I think is a lot more important than shine

If we notice for bald men, they tend to have these shiny foreheads and shiny scalp that I relate to serotonin - I think many relate the shine to good health when I think it is more likely to be the opposit​
I second the shinyness

Eberhardt

Your theory seems based off your perception of strangers on YouTube being filmed while getting their hair/scalp touched. Serotonin shine? lol it sounds like autism

The hormonal points you make are more valid. Wearing cap most likely does decrease serotonin…and better metabolic health means healthier hair… but brushing hair and massaging scalp encourages hair loss? Nah
Its for what its worth interesting to note that in a 1909 book on reversing old age the author notes that in his 70s his hair got better and more full when brushing it. More colour and less hairloss/better hairline. He says not to fall pray to the common misconception of thw time that brushing causes stress and hairloss. The interesting part of this is that at the turn of the last century in the US this was common ideas and people did have thin hair early on as seen by a lot of photographies. So even if one testimonial of a guy combing a 100 years ago is doubtful , I think 100.000s or millions of people not doing it and having bad hair is worth something, as he testifies this was a widespread ide which I dont doubt

Eberhardt

Serotonin is well established to cause dry skin and loss of libido. It also reduces blood flow to the extremities, including the scalp.

Granted it is also well known to cause excessive itchiness which could lead to the over scratching and brushing of the scalp like is being discussed.
This . SSRIs kill libido and is not arousing

I read recently that sleeping on silk pillow cases, is supposed to be better for one’s hair.

onesunnydaize

I read recently that sleeping on silk pillow cases, is supposed to be better for one’s hair.
I have been sleeping on silk for 12 years, and bring them with me when I travel.
It has enabled me to grow my hair below my waist.
No knots or tangles, very little hair fall.

I have been sleeping on silk for 12 years, and bring them with me when I travel.
It has enabled me to grow my hair below my waist.
No knots or tangles, very little hair fall.
Thanks, that’s good to know. I have long hair too, so I think I will invest in silk pillow cases to keep it looking healthy.

Luann

I think it can only help hair health to avoid plastic brushes and clips, heating tools, and polyester hair ties. I like wooden combs and linen and wool scrunchies from the etsy website. Also, there are actual cultures who believe that long hair improves physical wellbeing and abilities. There's even a story in the Bible that deals with a legendary example.
@JamesGatz, I'm noticing that, in February, your posts changed in tone. They appear to be shorter on average, and the font got bigger. Would you talk about why you chose to use a new format around that time?

OP
JamesGatz

JamesGatz

All I got to say is this:

I CHANGED my mind a
bout brushing and brush my hair every other day with a boar bristle brush

When I am low stress I actually dont need to brush my hair much but my lifestyle isn't PERFECT so every other day I brush to prevent breakage/knots

Luann

All I got to say is this:

I CHANGED my mind a
bout brushing and brush my hair every other day with a boar bristle brush

When I am low stress I actually dont need to brush my hair much but my lifestyle isn't PERFECT so every other day I brush to prevent breakage/knots
Oh, okay. It's funny, I don't like doing extensive styling with heat tools. But a coworker once told me that, in fact, she would rather scrub a bathroom than style her hair.

Luann

I hope it's of no consequence to cut fingernails. Having long nails is a pain :/ :/

OP
JamesGatz

JamesGatz

I hope it's of no consequence to cut fingernails. Having long nails is a pain :/ :/
Yea It's interesting you mention that because my nails get really strong when I let them grow long as well as my fingers get A LOT stronger and retain a firm shape - It becomes very noticeable when I break a nail on one finger - once that happens that particular finger will feel a lot weaker than the surrounding fingers and doesn't retain the same shape - the nail on that finger will also lose a lot more thickness and doesn't "shine" like the way my other nails do

I keep my nails on the longer side now and I actually do think it makes a big difference

Mountain

I think one difference between men and women is that women are easier able to express their dominant emotions than men. Men are more likely to experience rage and this is not really allowed to be expressed in society -- so it gets bottled up and may lead to fasciae and muscle tension. In general, men are taught to not show emotion. Obviously, it's bad to be getting around being angry all the time, this is pathological in its own right and you'd need to understand why you're feeling that way.

I also think this ties into why the homeless don't experience as much hairloss. They don't care what anyone thinks of them -- no shame, guilt, etc. And they'll just scream their lungs out at people lol

MarcelZD

I had been wondering about the phenomenon of traction alopeceia. Evidently hair doesnt like to be forced into an unnatural direction lest the hair strands die. Women who habitually tie their hair into buns can get some pretty bad hair loss:

266_2005_4_f2.jpg

100478188-combinedimage2-paige.jpg

Brushing, slicking the hair back and using too much product also causes unnatural traction so it could have a similar effect.