The evolutionary importance of hair and why brushing/combing is detrimental to your health

Waynish

Every time you post I can't get over the fact that the dude in the profile picture definitely isn't you. The dude in your profile picture certainly would not care about some hair combing as the picture is of him with combed hair... This neurotic fixation on a microscopic molecule that you've never seen and never will see has a massive potential to distort your reality. It is the definition of reductionism to take these complex behaviors, environments, compounds - and "reduce" (the root of "reductionism") them a few mere molecules like "serotonin" and "estrogen".

hering

:joyful: Oh come on I think you are messing with us. A dog “tolerates” petting? Bothering their fur?:rolleyes:

A cat’s tongue is it’s brush. And the thickness of one’s hair comes down to genetics. It has nothing to do with whether you brush it or not.
Im not sure but I don’t think you can compare a cats fur to a humans hair. It might be called fur or pelt and not hair for a reason.
They usually don’t like their whiskers to be touched or groomed (they don’t need to be groomed, though). And the whiskers are probably the kind of “hair” they use to sense stuff.
And the “hair” on a cats tongue has or had another reason they genetically inherited from their big brothers, too. I think they use/used it to scratch the remaining flesh from their preys bones.
I’m not a cat/dog expert though.

SamYo123

Remember to drive with the windows up guys. You don’t want the wind on your hair, sending signals to the brain for survival purposes. Causes serotonin shine and hair loss.

Wear a wool beanie if you like. Also applies for roller coasters, big fans, or anything more than a brisk walk.
Wonder if people have pattern baldness difference in between left and right in left and right hand cars...

OP
JamesGatz

JamesGatz

I'm glad many responders have pointed out the silliness of yet another remarkable post by Gatz. Some of these grand statements are easy to debunk: call any hair restoration clinic and ask whether they recommend brushing. They do, and might even tell you to brush with your head down so as to increase circulation and static. As for the actual enjoyment of having your hair stroked, it obviously varies from person to person. People with oily scalps might not want disperse the oils, granted, but it doesn't mean they don't enjoy the feeling. If some degree of inflammation is present, the actual touch might have to be quite gentle. I have a sensitive scalp which has undergone a hair transplant and several cyst excisions. For a while, I was very defensive, but I love having my hair stroked so I guide people on how to do it, it's that simple. Older women in the family and some hairdressers used to stroke/wash my hair using their nails while at it, which I always found infuriating; but if instead they only use the pulp of the finger, all is well. Pleasuring someone's hair requires adaptation, as does any kind of pleasuring, alas.

The interesting part of the post can be tracked to several other threads. Sadly, I can't find the most relevant one, in which a US army report showed how native american soldiers would lose their orientation skills when their heads where shaved.
But what do the hair restoration clinics know?

None of these hair restoration clinics seem to know why humans are the ONLY species that have the males experience rampant hair loss

How is that possible ?
If you take a primate (male or female) in captivity they bald regardless of their sex

I would say there is clearly something that female humans do that male humans don't that is making this to be the case

But people here really like to believe that humans operate on a totally different plane than other mammals

Once again - how is it unreasonable to say that hair follicles have nerves at the end that send serotonergic signals to the brain when they are being disturbed ? This is extremely common in nearly all mammalian species and even fish species

Also, I have never seen impressive results from any hair restoration clinic - ever -
maybe I've seen the man retain to what little he has left but never a complete turnaround or maybe he gets his hairline back - but im sure they know what they're talking about

A homeless man's hair thickness MOGS 99% of girls who bother their hair and every hair restoration clinic patient I've ever seen

But it has to be DHT! The homeless men must have a good hair protocol from the clinics!
They don't touch their hair whatsoever and they let it grow out

Im not sure but I don’t think you can compare a cats fur to a humans hair. It might be called fur or pelt and not hair for a reason.
They usually don’t like their whiskers to be touched or groomed (they don’t need to be groomed, though). And the whiskers are probably the kind of “hair” they use to sense stuff.
And the “hair” on a cats tongue has or had another reason they genetically inherited from their big brothers, too. I think they use/used it to scratch the remaining flesh from their preys bones.
I’m not a cat/dog expert though.
Oh I mentioned a cat because their tongues are like a brush for their fur :)

ivy

But what do the hair restoration clinics know?

None of these hair restoration clinics seem to know why humans are the ONLY species that have the males experience rampant hair loss

How is that possible ?
If you take a primate (male or female) in captivity they bald regardless of their sex

I would say there is clearly something that female humans do that male humans don't that is making this to be the case

But people here really like to believe that humans operate on a totally different plane than other mammals

Once again - how is it unreasonable to say that hair follicles have nerves at the end that send serotonergic signals to the brain when they are being disturbed ? This is extremely common in nearly all mammalian species and even fish species

Also, I have never seen impressive results from any hair restoration clinic - ever -
maybe I've seen the man retain to what little he has left but never a complete turnaround or maybe he gets his hairline back - but im sure they know what they're talking about

A homeless man's hair thickness MOGS 99% of girls who bother their hair and every hair restoration clinic patient I've ever seen

But it has to be DHT! The homeless men must have a good hair protocol from the clinics!
They don't touch their hair whatsoever and they let it grow out
You and your bold absolutes will end up utterly alone.

Yep - people like to treat the idea of hair detecting movement unreasonable but then the question still remains:

what would be the evolutionary purpose of nerve endings present at the end of the hair follicle that is able to send signals to the brain via the spine ?

If the hair is considered dead, and if we can see that the nerve ending sends signals to the brain if the hair is disturbed - I do think it must be there for an evolutionary reason given that hair acting as a sensory organ is present in so many different mammalian species - many of them important to the mammal's survival

And if the nerve endings at the end of the hair do indeed send signals to the brain for survival purposes - I do not think the hair should be messed with
James you may have a point about the hair being like an antenna. Have you ever heard of Maria Orsic? She was apparently a member of the Nazi Vrill society which believed that a woman’s hair is an antenna.

However, the rest of what you are saying is a big stretch to me. So much of it comes down to genetics, nutrition, health status, lack of stress.

I can’t speak to men’s issues with losing their hair, but there are various ways/solutions of addressing it on the forum.

OP
JamesGatz

JamesGatz

I can’t speak to men’s issues with losing their hair, but there are various ways/solutions of addressing it on the forum.
So people like to say what I'm saying is unreasonable, but there remains 3 irrefutable facts:

1) Humans are the ONLY species where males experience rampant hait loss

(How is this possible? Maybe the point I made earlier in the thread makes sense!)

2) People in society who don't bother their hair and let it grow out have great hair - THICKER hair than anyone that does like to bother it

3) Humans and mammals have nerve endings that send serotonergic signals when the hair is being disturbed

I don't see how this is unreasonable - everytime an animal grooms another one they use their tongue to lick each other (something soft) on thee scalp or they'll use their hands to pick out bugs - they never use something sharper to run through the hair and irritate the nerve endings

Remember to drive with the windows up guys. You don’t want the wind on your hair, sending signals to the brain for survival purposes. Causes serotonin shine and hair loss.

Wear a wool beanie if you like. Also applies for roller coasters, big fans, or anything more than a brisk walk.
LOL

Jon2547

These god damn schitzo posts on this forum sometimes.

Have you ever had someone gently play with your hair? It feels amazing. People who brush their hair or concern over their hair too much already had hair issues to begin with, which is why they are fixated on it and obsessive.

"If you notice her hair gets very brittle and flat. she looks stressed and disturbed towards the beginning of the video when the hair brushing picks up" - Do you even know what her diet is? What's her thyroid status and metabolism? This is such a schitzo post it's crazy.

To think brushing hair or touching hair leads to issues is ******* nuts, and I am pretty out-there to begin with.

Lay down, relax, and have someone gently play with your hair and run their hands through it, tickling you. It is one of the most relaxing things and likely hugely stress-reducing as well to do.
I concur with the general sentiment.

Jon2547

Sometimes folks have too much free time on their hands and need to find outdoors activities maybe?

tastyfood

This thread has been really useful to me. My take is that one has to be more gentle with their hair. I think it's a simple idea. To each their own. Experimentation is key.

OP
JamesGatz

JamesGatz

grillz-8-1383239569-view-0.jpg

This is Progesterone glow vs serotonin shine since people want to pretend that it isn't a real thing

If you look at the skin of the vast amounts of women - their skin glows and doesn't have a greasy shine to it - not until they start messing with their hair/scalp - if you look at your average boy the opposite tends to be true - but I'm looney apparently

tfcjesse

View attachment 33626

This is Progesterone glow vs serotonin shine since people want to pretend that it isn't a real thing

If you look at the skin of the vast amounts of women - their skin glows and doesn't have a greasy shine to it - not until they start messing with their hair/scalp - if you look at your average boy the opposite tends to be true - but I'm looney apparently
your irrefutable facts aren't actually irrefutable, your evidence isn't actually evidence... this is why people are saying you're unreasonable

takes two pics of kanye with different stage lighting, different photo editing, different makeup, and a whole number of other unknown variables (climate, diet at the time, etc.) and insensibly label them as 'serotonin shine' and 'progesterone glow' i'm laughing as I type these things because you're posts are more valuable for their memes and less for their truth ...

you had some promising thoughts in the first post here but quickly lost credit by showing your reasoning. keep researching tho

OP
JamesGatz

JamesGatz

your irrefutable facts aren't actually irrefutable, your evidence isn't actually evidence... this is why people are saying you're unreasonable

takes two pics of kanye with different stage lighting, different photo editing, different makeup, and a whole number of other unknown variables (climate, diet at the time, etc.) and insensibly label them as 'serotonin shine' and 'progesterone glow' i'm laughing as I type these things because you're posts are more valuable for their memes and less for their truth ...

you had some promising thoughts in the first post here but quickly lost credit by showing your reasoning. keep researching tho
But which of my facts are not irrefutable ?

Which species of animals has the males rampantly experiencing hair loss other than people ?

There is none - people in the hair loss industry want to pretend this is normal that as if this is what nature intended

Are we going to deny the fact that homeless people tend to have thicker hair than the vast amounts of both men and woman ?

I can walk to the train stations near my house and I will see the same homeless men and women getting drink witth long and the thickest hair I've seen in my life

The only group of men in society who seem to be immune to hairloss is homeless men, is it DHT ? Is it Genetics ? By definition since they don't wash their skin their DHT is on the higher end of the spectrum compared to your average man who disturbs this androgenic organ every other day

Are we going to deny the fact that humans and mammals have nerve endings at the end of the hair follicle that send serotonergic signals to the brain?

Besides the studies and the various different mammalian species who use hair as a literal sensory organ - Anyone can confirm this with a few seconds of your experimentation -people here say "the scalp is sensitive" - yes but why is it sensitive ? Things just aren't just because there is a reason

Summer

MPB has nothing to do with brushing hair though. Many of the men who lose their hair have kept it short and low maintenance their whole lives. By that reasoning, many more women compared to men should be facing hair loss since they do a lot more brushing and styling than men on average.

Summer

And to add to that, I see bald homeless men all the time. And even if they do have hair, it’s looked matted and dirty.

OP
JamesGatz

JamesGatz

MPB has nothing to do with brushing hair though. Many of the men who lose their hair have kept it short and low maintenance their whole lives. By that reasoning, many more women compared to men should be facing hair loss since they do a lot more brushing and styling than men on average.
It may not induce hair loss in women because women recover a lot faster than men to these stressors but it is still a stressor.

Elevated serotonin is an epidemic in males but doesn't seem to be that big of a problem in females - males are a lot more sensitive to the stressors I'm mentioning than females

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals