Mouth Ulcers And Salt?

Slappy Hands

I've developed some mouth ulcers on the back/side of my tongue and Google says it's likely a result of my excessive salt intake...

The problem is, I am craving salt a lot and would really prefer not to stop adding it to everything. Does anyone have any experience with this/have any advice?

They aren't unbearable atm, but I expect they could get worse. I've noticed them for about 3 days now.

I have found them to be related to vitamin A, or liver intake. It is hard to say whether they stem from too much or too little, especially because eating a bit more than usual seems to make your requirements skyrocket. Deficiency however would resonate with Ray Peat's concept of keratinization as the only viable route for a cell when it is lacking that vitamin.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
:1 on the vitamin A.

OP
S

Slappy Hands

Such_Saturation said:
I have found them to be related to vitamin A, or liver intake. It is hard to say whether they stem from too much or too little, especially because eating a bit more than usual seems to make your requirements skyrocket. Deficiency however would resonate with Ray Peat's concept of keratinization as the only viable route for a cell when it is lacking that vitamin.

Strange, I only eat about a 3 ounce serving of liver per week. Do you think I should increase? Or decrease? I've only eaten liver twice in the last 3weeks...once last weds and again this tues. The ulcers appeared on Sunday. They are too far back to actually see them, I only feel them. Though there are a few lesions at the front of my tongue too.

Try it twice a week perhaps. I don't know how salt would cause them unless you constantly leave it in contact with the tissues.

OP
S

Slappy Hands

Such_Saturation said:
Try it twice a week perhaps. I don't know how salt would cause them unless you constantly leave it in contact with the tissues.

Me neither. I can't find causation, but there's a lot of correlation I found by complete accident. Salty crisps apparently cause people a lot of distress...and I've upped my intake by about 2000% in the last two weeks :D

Why does eating liver make vit a requirements skyrocket, by the way?

Slappy Hands said:
Such_Saturation said:

Me neither. I can't find causation, but there's a lot of correlation I found by complete accident. Salty crisps apparently cause people a lot of distress...and I've upped my intake by about 2000% in the last two weeks :D

Good question... I remember feeling a bit too dry when first starting liver, but the body quickly adjusted and the benefits started coming in. That could also be the case.

OP
S

Slappy Hands

Such_Saturation said:
Slappy Hands said:
Such_Saturation said:

Good question... I remember feeling a bit too dry when first starting liver, but the body quickly adjusted and the benefits started coming in. That could also be the case.

Gold

I thought it was fat soluable/stored? I remember reading about travelers in the Antarctic getting poisoned to death from excessive vitamin a consumption after eating their huskie's livers.

Yes it should be fat-soluble. Those kind of carnivores have extreme concentrations of it.

Kyle Bigman

I get mouth ulcers with excessive vitamin A intake (liver). but actually, I also get it when I'm sick. Grant Genereux's book is pretty interesting because he associates autoimmune diseases w/ vitamin A. I wonder if there is some other missing factor in there, which causes the liver to liberate toxic retinoids. Perhaps it is not vitamin A but some other faulty mechanism of transport...

ljihkugft7

I get mouth ulcers with excessive vitamin A intake (liver). but actually, I also get it when I'm sick. Grant Genereux's book is pretty interesting because he associates autoimmune diseases w/ vitamin A. I wonder if there is some other missing factor in there, which causes the liver to liberate toxic retinoids. Perhaps it is not vitamin A but some other faulty mechanism of transport...
So interesting!

I’ve got a ulcer at the back of my tongue too. I just finished a few weeks of eating a ton of liver. move stopped now. But I wonder what the exact mechanism is

Edit:
I actually think it’s from the prawns I’ve been eating. Frozen, possibly high in sulphites?

Last edited:

Ras

Ever since I started taking high doses of chondroitin sulfate, I do not get aphthous ulcers. I would always get them after biting my lip or cheek, or after eating certain foods, but that no longer happens. I've bitten my lip and cheek several times since I started high doses of chondroitin sulfate, and the wounds simply never become ulcers. They never become anything, nor do I notice them after the bite. It's pretty remarkable, because all my life I could count on a week or two of obnoxious irritation in my mouth every time I bit my lip or cheek, but no more.

It seems to be essential for the healing of soft tissues. Below are links on the cardiovascular benefits of chondroitin sulfate.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals