Milk; or no milk?

iLoveSugar

Obviously I've complained a lot about my issues. I've really been forcing the issue with milk lately, and seem to struggle a tad worse. What to do? It makes me bowels even more slow, although they already suck, it makes me a tad more nervous and on edge, and it makes my arthritis terrible!! It's not related to any specific brand of milk, as I have tried 4 different sources. I also get extremely phlegmmy when drinking it. I drink it with a decent amount of sugar also.

north

Maybe try a week or so switching to OJ and cottagecheese and cheese and see if it helps.

OP
I

iLoveSugar

prototype said:
Maybe try a week or so switching to OJ and cottagecheese and cheese and see if it helps.

Everything I find seems to have cultures or enzymes in it.

pboy

don't know what to say other than its probably not the milk that's the cause...and in fact, cultured and fractioned foods made from milk are usually, if not always,
harder to digest than milk itselt. Try heating the milk to a warm or hot temp before you drink it....if the question is milk or no milk, id say milk. But of course there may be a reason you personally cant digest it, but I think you actually can...im really thinking you can. Always buy organic milk or something you know is not from an abused factory farmed animal...theres almost no way such a thing could be beneficial...or even if it is it will come with baggage. There was an old saying...don't treat Bessie bad or she'll poison her milk

Yes, it seems when you have a great deal of milk or farmer's cheese (milk with the whey pressed out) every day, your body learns to digest it more easily; and by a great deal every day, I mean: a gram of milk protein for each kilogram of your own body weight. Each cup of milk is about 8 grams of protein.

This may be for the very reason that the less milk you drink, the harder it is to digest not only milk but other foods, too, since with less milk your diet will likely contain lots of proteins and fats made instead from plants. As we are now finding so many allergens hidden in plants, we learn that plants seem to have mounted a chemical counter-attack on plant-eaters, using novel pathways that the poor plant-eaters cannot even begin to understand. Except for cows -- cows have learned to "ruminate". :cool:

pboy

indeed, my level of respect for how cows are treated in india and why they view them as sacred, mother, and more has risen tremendously...it makes complete sense and is a shining example of how a true civilization would treat cows, or even better, especially knowing how vitally important they are to humans at this point on the planet. Its unbelievable how dumb and atrocious it is...the way western nations, well most of the world, treats cows. It is indeed hurting a mother, shooting yourself in the foot, and generating a lot of garbage within the soul of anyone involved

tara

iLoveSugar said:
prototype said:

Everything I find seems to have cultures or enzymes in it.

Like others here, I recently started making my own cottage cheese - it's very easy, and has no added cultures, gums etc. Heat milk till nearly boiling. I usually do 2-3l at a time, slowish so it doesn't burn on the bottom of the pot. Add vinegar and stir till it separates. The quantity can vary a bit. You can add a tablespoon at a time till it separates. Pour into a strainer over the sink to separate out the curds from the whey. Leave the strainer to drip into the empty pot for a few minutes. Mix in salt to taste.

pboy

I just am not sure curdling milk with acid is a great idea...because a large portion of what makes milk special and unique is the portions of casein that have a
negative charge...so by nature, they soak up and bind to anything acidic...which is almost always the stuff you don't want in the GI tract, and urinary tract. By pre curdling, you neutralize that benefit. It wont hurt you, and if you digest it better than milk...its good. If you can manage to utilize fresh milk, you get added benefit...purifying benefit, cleansing benefit. It also contains all the choline where as whey draining loses some, as well as some K and other minerals

Jenn

Try no milk for a while. I know, sacrilege, right? I couldn't digest milk for a while, I was a recovering vegan and was not making the pepsin and enzymes to digest it. I lived off potatoes for a while, a long while. Now I can guzzle away without getting the snots, but it took a while.

-Jenn

Hi Jenn, Did you try farmer's cheese? It's pre-curdled with rennet, the enzyme that some claim is lacking from the human stomach, but does not have the endotoxins of aged cheese.

I love the Potato page at the blog in your sig. How many pounds of potatoes did you have? It seems one pound of potatoes has about 8 grams of proteins, and one may need a gram of protein per kilogram of body weight.

Or did you use the ketoacid extract from potatoes?

Jenn

I ate a fistful of food at a time at the most. I chewed each bite thoroughly. I stopped eating when I was full. Sometimes that meant only eating a half a potato in the form of fries. The thing about cheese is that yes, it does digests in the tummy easier than milk sometimes, but then it can be harder for the intestines to assimilate because it's so concentrated. We ate about 25 lbs each in potatoes a month for a while.

-Jenn

It's said that in the 1800s Irish peasants ate little meat but an average of 7 lbs. of potatoes a day, with some milk mixed in, and were quite healthy (and then were devastated by the great potato blight). This fits pretty closely with RP's idea that we need to get a gram of protein per kilogram of body weight.

OP
I

iLoveSugar

Jenn said:
Try no milk for a while. I know, sacrilege, right? I couldn't digest milk for a while, I was a recovering vegan and was not making the pepsin and enzymes to digest it. I lived off potatoes for a while, a long while. Now I can guzzle away without getting the snots, but it took a while.

-Jenn

Then I have a tough time getting in protein and calcium.

sunmountain

Hi ILS, my own experience with milk has been problematic. I can tolerate tiny amounts in tea and oatmeal, but that's it. I tried to force the issue because I love milk. I began having 2 cups warm milk with honey per day.

Well, it completely changed whatever bugs are in our intestines, and now I'm suffering from an inflamed gut.

Of course, it could also be all the fructose I'm eating.

So now I'm back to another elimination diet. If I could do it over, I'd listen more to my body, and go very, very, very, very....slowly. You don't want to drop from my frying pan into the fire.

OP
I

iLoveSugar

Yeah, I haven't had a normal bowel movement in many months. Severe sluggishness! Depression is fully kicked in right now. I am always wobbly as well, and a chronic bloat.

Green

I have access to a farm with raw milk from grass fed cows and access to pasteurized/homogenized grain fed cow milk at a local dairy farm that doesn't add vitamins. The latter is a better option for taste. For the grass fed raw milk to taste good I have to boil it and then add sugar and salt. I can drink the grain fed milk straight out of the fridge. Due to taste, I can't eat cheese from the raw milk unless I bake cheesecake with it. I can eat the cheese from the grain fed milk.
Could it be because the grass fed milk is potentially allergenic? Maybe homogenizing makes the difference.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals