Methylene Blue Blood Pressure

DaveFoster

This happened yesterday, as well as today: After taking 1 mg MB yesterday and 500 mcg MB today, I've experienced a marked increase in blood pressure verified by my blood pressure monitor.

Has anyone experienced something similar? Could this be caused by nitric oxide inhibition?

Koveras

This happened yesterday, as well as today: After taking 1 mg MB yesterday and 500 mcg MB today, I've experienced a marked increase in blood pressure verified by my blood pressure monitor.

Has anyone experienced something similar? Could this be caused by nitric oxide inhibition?

From Wikipedia

"Patients taking MAOIs generally need to change their diets to limit or avoid foods and beverages containing tyramine. If large amounts of tyramine are consumed, they may suffer hypertensive crisis, which can be fatal.[3] Examples of foods and beverages with potentially high levels of tyramine include liver and fermented substances, such as alcoholic beverages and aged cheeses.[25](See a List of foods containing tyramine).

Tyramine leads to hypertensive crisis by increasing the release of norepinephrine (NE), which causes blood vessels to constrict (through binding to alpha-1 adrenergic receptors).[26] Ordinarily, MAO-A would destroy the excess NE. When MAO-A is inhibited, though, NE levels get too high, leading to dangerous increases in blood pressure."

OP
DaveFoster

DaveFoster

Interesting. It did coincide with my liver consumption. I'm not sure whether to keep it if I'm going to behave aggressively.

OP
DaveFoster

DaveFoster

Does anyone know if the blood pressure effect of methylene blue attenuates with time?

I took 250 mcg (approx) and I have pre-hypertension.

Giraffe

Could this be caused by nitric oxide inhibition?
I get headaches from methylene blue, and I wondered if the quote below explains them.

Ray Peat said:
One of acetylcholine's important functions, in the brain as elsewhere, is the relaxation of blood vessels, and this is done by activating the synthesis of NO, nitric oxide. (Without NO, acetylcholine constricts blood vessels; Librizzi, et al., 2000.)

The dark side of stress (learned helplessness)

I had only a quick glance at a few studies. One claims that that MB inhibits the vasodilator effects of acetylcholine or niric oxide while another one observed a potentiation by MB of the vasodilatation induced by acetylcholine. Don't know what to make of this.

OP
DaveFoster

DaveFoster

I get headaches from methylene blue, and I wondered if the quote below explains them.

I had only a quick glance at a few studies. One claims that that MB inhibits the vasodilator effects of acetylcholine or niric oxide while another one observed a potentiation by MB of the vasodilatation induced by acetylcholine. Don't know what to make of this.
Interesting post. I also got a headache yesterday, so I'm going to remove it for a while and introduce it at a later date when everything's stable.

Interactome

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals