Methylene Blue (MB) Lowers Prolactin By Opposing Estrogen

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Do you think it could be used effectively as a herpes treatment? I had a cold sore a few weeks back and when I applied a drop of Oxidal to it for a few days it seemed to clear up quicker.

I think this is a great application of MB. Herpes thrives on NO and MB is one of the most potent NO inhibitors available. This is actually its main anti-viral mechanism.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
What about fingernail infection in a 3 year old? One drop topical?

Don't see reason not to try. Without knowing the infection it is hard to say but it should work against any infection really, especially when combined with exposure to red light or bright sunlight. Search the forum for "methylene blue phototherapy".

torontomike

It can give me headaches in dosed of 5mg+ which I think is a sign that it is increasing serotonin. Also, when taken before bed it knocks me out for 8-9 hours and then I am really sleepy until early afternoon the next day. Other than that I think it can replace antibiotics for all but the most serious infections. Same thing for viral issues - a few drops of MB stop the "flu" in its tracks. The latter is not surprising given Ray's view that the flu symptoms are caused by endotoxin and NO, and MB inhibits the release of both of these.
@haidut I'm a little late to this discussion and forum, just joined this April of 2017 and I have been very fascinated by the discussions here, especially being certified in nutrition. Haidut must have a lot of good karma coming his way, excellent knowledge base I must say! I have a curious question or 2 for you Haidut. When I read that MB knocks you out for 8-9 hours every night, I became interested in it for that reason solely as I have a horrific time sleeping, I wake up 3-4 times a night, sometimes more. I was once addicted to anxiety/sleep meds, otherwise known as the lovely family of Benzodiazepines. But I got off them, thanks to Cannabis which I have no side effects from, but I still wake 3-4 times a night, if I only wake up 2 times it is a miracle! And yes, when I do wake up I have some more Cannabis, which I use a vaporizer so as to avoid any tar intake.

Interestingly, I joined this forum for purposes of estrogen blocking info and it has been very enlightening on that to say the least. Long story short, I experienced several traumatic events, the most recent which occurred in 2012 pushed me over the edge and my stress hormone's skyrocketed. I went from being someone with low E and high T, to the opposite, my cortisol was off the charts and my T was below average and E (Estradiol especially) was above the high end for a man. I tried the pharmaceutical aromatase inhibitor known as Arimidex but alas, I couldn't stand the side effects and my Estrogen increased the more my doctor increased the dose! So after a few months, I discontinued it's use. I don't like taking pharmaceuticals, which is the concern I have about using MB and if it's safe for long term use?

But back to my story. So I changed my diet and introduced some Adaptogenic herbs (Cannabis acts like an Adaptogenic herb for me as well, depending on strain). For instance, ginseng's. Siberian White Ginseng also acts like a natural MAO inhibitor and has helped me with my stress levels and lifted my mood tremendously, as has Korean Red Ginseng for energy levels. But back to my point. I'm interested in MB for estrogen blocking and its aromatase inhibiting actions and I've been on Aspirin for about a month now. However, if MB can also help me to sleep, especially through the night, it would be a dream come true, no pun intended. I'm otherwise very healthy, having a background in nutrition I take good care of myself, but again, after a series of traumatic experiences which have left me with residual PTSD and some depression/anxiety, I still have mental/emotional issues and the stress is obviously affecting my physical health, hence my aforementioned hormonal issues.

I am very athletic and go to the gym regularly, however, I still gained 20 lbs over the last 4 years and finally lost it. Since changing my diet drastically and taking more supplements I've lost that 20 lbs over the course of the last year and being on ASA (which I also am using for PUFA depletion) just makes me feel more vital and healthy. I take 3,000 mg of ASA in divided doses with no problems whatsoever. I actually used to take it in the past after my workouts to help with lactic acid. Anyway. It's been almost 5 years since the last traumatic experience and I do believe I'm getting better. My final question would be, can I take MB with ASA? Where does one obtain MB? Since Siberian White Ginseng is a natural MAO inhibitor, would you advise against taking it with MB?Any insight and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you kindly.

Last edited:
OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
@haidut I'm a little late to this discussion and forum, just joined this April of 2017 and I have been very fascinated by the discussions here, especially being certified in nutrition. Haidut must have a lot of good karma coming his way, excellent knowledge base I must say! I have a curious question or 2 for you Haidut. When I read that MB knocks you out for 8-9 hours every night, I became interested in it for that reason solely as I have a horrific time sleeping, I wake up 3-4 times a night, sometimes more. I was once addicted to anxiety/sleep meds, otherwise known as the lovely family of Benzodiazepines. But I got off them, thanks to Cannabis which I have no side effects from, but I still wake 3-4 times a night, if I only wake up 2 times it is a miracle! And yes, when I do wake up I have some more Cannabis, which I use a vaporizer so as to avoid any tar intake.

Interestingly, I joined this forum for purposes of estrogen blocking info and it has been very enlightening on that to say the least. Long story short, I experienced several traumatic events, the most recent which occurred in 2012 pushed me over the edge and my stress hormone's skyrocketed. I went from being someone with low E and high T, to the opposite, my cortisol was off the charts and my T was below average and E (Estradiol especially) was above the high end for a man. I tried the pharmaceutical aromatase inhibitor known as Arimidex but alas, I couldn't stand the side effects and my Estrogen increased the more my doctor increased the dose! So after a few months, I discontinued it's use. I don't like taking pharmaceuticals, which is the concern I have about using MB and if it's safe for long term use?

But back to my story. So I changed my diet and introduced some Adaptogenic herbs (Cannabis acts like an Adaptogenic herb for me as well, depending on strain). For instance, ginseng's. Siberian White Ginseng also acts like a natural MAO inhibitor and has helped me with my stress levels and lifted my mood tremendously, as has Korean Red Ginseng for energy levels. But back to my point. I'm interested in MB for estrogen blocking and its aromatase inhibiting actions and I've been on Aspirin for about a month now. However, if MB can also help me to sleep, especially through the night, it would be a dream come true, no pun intended. I'm otherwise very healthy, having a background in nutrition I take good care of myself, but again, after a series of traumatic experiences which have left me with residual PTSD and some depression/anxiety, I still have mental/emotional issues and the stress is obviously affecting my physical health, hence my aforementioned hormonal issues.

I am very athletic and go to the gym regularly, however, I still gained 20 lbs over the last 4 years and finally lost it. Since changing my diet drastically and taking more supplements I've lost that 20 lbs over the course of the last year and being on ASA (which I also am using for PUFA depletion) just makes me feel more vital and healthy. I take 3,000 mg of ASA in divided doses with no problems whatsoever. I actually used to take it in the past after my workouts to help with lactic acid. Anyway. It's been almost 5 years since the last traumatic experience and I do believe I'm getting better. My final question would be, can I take MB with ASA? Where does one obtain MB? Since Siberian White Ginseng is a natural MAO inhibitor, would you advise against taking it with MB?Any insight and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you kindly.

The weight gain you experienced is consistent with elevated cortisol and estrogen, which you confirmed by blood tests. So, the weight slowly coming down is a sign that the organism is overcoming the chronic stress response and (hopefully) resuming normal oxidation again. Salicylic acid is an 11b-HSD1 inhibitor, so it should lower cortisol and it may be one of the main reasons behind the weight loss as it probably lowered your elevated cortisol. Since cortisol activates aromatase, aspirin probably helped with your estrogen as well. I posted a human study on the forum some time ago showing a dose of ~900mg twice a day (total of about 2g) lowered cortisol and increased T/cortisol ratio in males. At 3g and above aspirin becomes a mitochondrial uncoupler. Nothing wrong with that but it can make some people a bit tired. Also, at 3g daily you probably need some vitamin K to balance the bleeding risks.
As far as MB - I think the optimal dose for long term use would be 1mg or lower, as it builds up in the brain and other organs and can reach concentrations high enough to inhibit MAO-A. Don't know much about MAO inhbition by ginseng but if it is the A isoform then I would not mix MB with ginseng. You can buy MB form Amazon and a number of other online stores as well. We also sell it, mixed with some benzoic acid (aspirin metabolite) and caffeine.

torontomike

The weight gain you experienced is consistent with elevated cortisol and estrogen, which you confirmed by blood tests. So, the weight slowly coming down is a sign that the organism is overcoming the chronic stress response and (hopefully) resuming normal oxidation again. Salicylic acid is an 11b-HSD1 inhibitor, so it should lower cortisol and it may be one of the main reasons behind the weight loss as it probably lowered your elevated cortisol. Since cortisol activates aromatase, aspirin probably helped with your estrogen as well. I posted a human study on the forum some time ago showing a dose of ~900mg twice a day (total of about 2g) lowered cortisol and increased T/cortisol ratio in males. At 3g and above aspirin becomes a mitochondrial uncoupler. Nothing wrong with that but it can make some people a bit tired. Also, at 3g daily you probably need some vitamin K to balance the bleeding risks.
As far as MB - I think the optimal dose for long term use would be 1mg or lower, as it builds up in the brain and other organs and can reach concentrations high enough to inhibit MAO-A. Don't know much about MAO inhbition by ginseng but if it is the A isoform then I would not mix MB with ginseng. You can buy MB form Amazon and a number of other online stores as well. We also sell it, mixed with some benzoic acid (aspirin metabolite) and caffeine.
Thank you kindly @haidut I do take vitamin K but not at the high doses recommended, I would be going through several supplemental bottles a week if I did that. Instead, I was taking about 1 gram of K for the first couple of weeks while taking 1.5g of ASA, as it takes about a week for the gut to heal, and then according to the research posted in this Peat forum, ASA is gastrointestinally protective after that and so I decreased my K to about 400-500mg/day now, if that. It is safe to combine ASA and MB right? I came across this article on MB, can you let me know what you think about it's claims, if and when you get the chance. Lastly, do you actually think MB would help with sleep and anxiety/depression as I've seen you also recommend inosine but MB seems much safer. Anyway, here's the article on MB: https://selfhacked.com/2013/08/25/methylene-blue-the-cheapest-cognitive-enhancer/

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Thank you kindly @haidut I do take vitamin K but not at the high doses recommended, I would be going through several supplemental bottles a week if I did that. Instead, I was taking about 1 gram of K for the first couple of weeks while taking 1.5g of ASA, as it takes about a week for the gut to heal, and then according to the research posted in this Peat forum, ASA is gastrointestinally protective after that and so I decreased my K to about 400-500mg/day now, if that. It is safe to combine ASA and MB right? I came across this article on MB, can you let me know what you think about it's claims, if and when you get the chance. Lastly, do you actually think MB would help with sleep and anxiety/depression as I've seen you also recommend inosine but MB seems much safer. Anyway, here's the article on MB: https://selfhacked.com/2013/08/25/methylene-blue-the-cheapest-cognitive-enhancer/

There are plenty of threads on this forum discussing MB as nootropic. Anything that raises metabolism and/or increases ATP levels will increase general intelligence. As far as anxiety/depression - this has already been discussed many times. There are several human studies showing MB in doses of 15mg daily can cure resistant depression and bipolar disorders. The anxiety studies were mostly on animals but the principle is valid for humans as well, so MB should work for that as well.

torontomike

There are plenty of threads on this forum discussing MB as nootropic. Anything that raises metabolism and/or increases ATP levels will increase general intelligence. As far as anxiety/depression - this has already been discussed many times. There are several human studies showing MB in doses of 15mg daily can cure resistant depression and bipolar disorders. The anxiety studies were mostly on animals but the principle is valid for humans as well, so MB should work for that as well.
Thanks again @haidut I also came across this article cautioning against MB, I'm still researching it but for the most part, I think I'm going to try it. Where do you sell it? Adverse Effects of Methylene Blue on the Central Nervous System | Anesthesiology | ASA Publications

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter

torontomike

Thanks @haidut I didn't even notice your link, I will check it out, I'm still researching this fascinating subject but I think if I go low dose, like 500 mcg to start, I'll be safe.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter

encerent

torontomike

@encerent Thanks for your comment, there are always those disinformation agents that try to scare people off aspirin or in this case MB...do you take it and if so how much? What are all the benefits to it, or is it mostly the aromatase inhibition that most people use it for?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals