Lowered Cholesterol In EFAD, Good Or Bad?

haidut

Forum Supporter
@haidut and others. Please shed light on this?

Why would it be a problem? A good portion of the cholesterol lowering occurs due to increased conversion into downstream steroids. Taking thyroid has the same effect.
Btw, when you say "@haidut and others" that won't draw anybody to the thread but me. So, please mention other users by their alias so they can comment as well.

OP
Luann

Luann

@haidut,

I want to think that the cholesterol lowering is due to conversion to steroids. But a lot of the cholesterol gets stuck in the liver, "steatosis". This is seen with EFAD commonly.

@Fractality please elaborate?

@tyw I've seen some great posts by you on cholesterol, are PUFAs and prostaglandins needed for their transport out of the liver?

haidut

Forum Supporter
@haidut,

I want to think that the cholesterol lowering is due to conversion to steroids. But a lot of the cholesterol gets stuck in the liver, "steatosis". This is seen with EFAD commonly.

@Fractality please elaborate?

@tyw I've seen some great posts by you on cholesterol, are PUFAs and prostaglandins needed for their transport out of the liver?

Why do you say that cholesterol going to the liver causes steatosis? The study you posted says in EFAD cholesterol is primarily esterified, which is relatively harmless while when EFA is present the cholesterol is free. This study below shows that free cholesterol is an issue, not esterified. Just like FFA vs. triglycerides.
Recent insights on the role of cholesterol in non-alcoholic fatty liver disease - ScienceDirect

OP
Luann

Luann

I did see that the cholesterol is mostly esterified. But that means it is less usable to the body, right? My concern is that the body gets enough cholesterol during EFAD. Please help me understand.

Last edited:

haidut

Forum Supporter
I did see that the cholesterol is mostly esterified. But that means it is less usable to the body, right? My concern is that the body gets enough cholesterol during EFAD. Please help me understand.

Part of the cholesterol was probably converted down the steroid pathways, the rest esterified. Same with fats - whatever is not oxidized through beta oxidation gets esterified (converted to trigs) and shuttled back to fat tissue for storage.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals