EFAD Symptoms Most Probably Caused By A Biotin Deficiency

paymanz

There is old studies reporting animals on a fat free diet could get symptom free when they include liver in their feed , I think that is because it has biotin in much higher level than any other food.

Mechanism of blocked lipogenesis induced in rats by feeding extremely hydrogenated fat | AJP Legacy

In order to explain the disappearance of depot fat in rats fed on a diet containing 50% by weight of extremely hydrogenated vegetable fat, experiments were performed in which the diet inhibiting lipogenesis was enriched with biotin. Biotin was effective in maintaining normal adipose tissue stores. The dermal essential fatty acid deficiency syndrome which occurred in this dietary group was prevented by the administration of linoleic acid. Cecal contents of rats kept on diets with hydrogenated fat were analyzed for biotin concentration and showed depressed intestinal synthesis of this vitamin by the bacterial flora. These data suggest that the inhibited lipogenesis in animals fed extremely saturated fat is the result of essential fatty acid deficiency and thereby of a reduced synthesis (and increased utilization) of biotin required as coenzyme of fatty acid synthesis in the nonmitochondrial system of lipogenesis.

----------

Its mead acid , or de novo synthesis of pufa, either of them probably need biotin ,so with low biotin level the body cannot synthesize them and symptoms appear, I guess biotin is the explanation of why only liver can cure them and not normal vitamins that they add to the animal's feed.

OP
P

paymanz

Need Thyroid Med HELP! see the last post by tyw on pufas
Yes I read his comments before, his ideas are a bit different than ray, either of them maybe correct or wrong,who knows, but in both scenarios biotin seems to be important.in burr experiments , liver could cure the efad symptoms, I just think it is biotin that is responsible for this effect.

johnwester130

Yes I read his comments before, his ideas are a bit different than ray, either of them maybe correct or wrong,who knows, but in both scenarios biotin seems to be important.in burr experiments , liver could cure the efad symptoms, I just think it is biotin that is responsible for this effect.

so burr's disease was actually biotin deficiency and b6 ?

Luann

Would love to see the studies. I'm concerned about the steatosis and impaired cholesterol transport in EFAD.

haidut

Forum Supporter
There is old studies reporting animals on a fat free diet could get symptom free when they include liver in their feed , I think that is because it has biotin in much higher level than any other food.

Mechanism of blocked lipogenesis induced in rats by feeding extremely hydrogenated fat | AJP Legacy

In order to explain the disappearance of depot fat in rats fed on a diet containing 50% by weight of extremely hydrogenated vegetable fat, experiments were performed in which the diet inhibiting lipogenesis was enriched with biotin. Biotin was effective in maintaining normal adipose tissue stores. The dermal essential fatty acid deficiency syndrome which occurred in this dietary group was prevented by the administration of linoleic acid. Cecal contents of rats kept on diets with hydrogenated fat were analyzed for biotin concentration and showed depressed intestinal synthesis of this vitamin by the bacterial flora. These data suggest that the inhibited lipogenesis in animals fed extremely saturated fat is the result of essential fatty acid deficiency and thereby of a reduced synthesis (and increased utilization) of biotin required as coenzyme of fatty acid synthesis in the nonmitochondrial system of lipogenesis.

----------

Its mead acid , or de novo synthesis of pufa, either of them probably need biotin ,so with low biotin level the body cannot synthesize them and symptoms appear, I guess biotin is the explanation of why only liver can cure them and not normal vitamins that they add to the animal's feed.

Peat said this multiple times in his articles but it is always nice to see independent confirmation.