Low Thyroid With High Metabolism

brix

Hello all.

I am concerned about my seemingly fast metabolism paired with low thyroid.
TSH is around 3.2 with FT4 at 1.00 and FT3 at upper range.

I am 6'2 and 180-185lbs. At this weight, I feel rail thin because most of my height comes from my legs.
I eat around 3000-3500k a day.
Constantly overheated and sweat like crazy during exercise.

I have always had a "fast" metabolism but I feel like it not under control. Want to gain healthy weight.
Does anyone have some suggestions on what I can do to normalize my "metabolism."

churchmouth

if you are running on stress hormones and thyroid is OK, how does more thyroid help? Curious as this might apply to me

Constatine

Hello all.

I am concerned about my seemingly fast metabolism paired with low thyroid.

I am 6'2 and 180-185lbs. At this weight, I feel rail thin because most of my height comes from my legs.
I eat around 3000-3500k a day.
Constantly overheated and sweat like crazy during exercise.

I have always had a "fast" metabolism but I feel like it not under control. Want to gain healthy weight.
Does anyone have some suggestions on what I can do to normalize my "metabolism."
Sounds similar to the metabolism boost people get from adderall. But if FT3 is at the upper range than you have high thyroid.

if you are running on stress hormones and thyroid is OK, how does more thyroid help? Curious as this might apply to me
Blood tests are often not good measures of how a vitamin or hormone or what not is functioning. For an example people with normal levels of thiamine according to tests but who are experiencing low thiamine symptoms still benefit from very large doses of thiamine (though the thiamine could be compensating for something else). It also seems that once someone is deficient in something that it takes higher than normal doses to normalize the system, even if the deficiency is not obvious via a blood test.
It does matter why your system is stressed out. If you are not getting enough food more thyroid will probably make the problem worse. But if your energy metabolism is messed up then thyroid might help.

OP
B

brix

Sounds similar to the metabolism boost people get from adderall. But if FT3 is at the upper range than you have high thyroid.

Blood tests are often not good measures of how a vitamin or hormone or what not is functioning. For an example people with normal levels of thiamine according to tests but who are experiencing low thiamine symptoms still benefit from very large doses of thiamine (though the thiamine could be compensating for something else). It also seems that once someone is deficient in something that it takes higher than normal doses to normalize the system, even if the deficiency is not obvious via a blood test.
It does matter why your system is stressed out. If you are not getting enough food more thyroid will probably make the problem worse. But if your energy metabolism is messed up then thyroid might help.

I have high FT3 and high TSH...
not sure what it means.

Constatine

not sure what it means.
Just a guess but the high TSH could mean that T3 is not getting into the cell (low tissue thyroid) or it is less efficient for whatever reason. You can try supplementing retinol as vitamin A is very important for thyroid function. Vitamin A increases blood thyroid levels in people with a vitamin A deficiency but in people with normal vitamin A levels it acutely decreases blood thyroid levels but the levels normalize after 2 weeks of supplementation. This likely means that vitamin A is saturating the tissues with thyroid and that it takes 2 weeks to do it. Vitamin A also decreases TSH which makes sense.

success23

Just a guess but the high TSH could mean that T3 is not getting into the cell (low tissue thyroid) or it is less efficient for whatever reason. You can try supplementing retinol as vitamin A is very important for thyroid function. Vitamin A increases blood thyroid levels in people with a vitamin A deficiency but in people with normal vitamin A levels it acutely decreases blood thyroid levels but the levels normalize after 2 weeks of supplementation. This likely means that vitamin A is saturating the tissues with thyroid and that it takes 2 weeks to do it. Vitamin A also decreases TSH which makes sense.

You are right. High blood level of something could mean it is not used by the cells and it builds up in the blood overtime.

At what dosages does Vitamin A have that effect?

Constatine

not sure what it means.
Here is a study showing that vitamin A improved a situation similar to yours (high T3 and TSH) : Relationship between vitamin A deficiency and the thyroid axis in clinically stable patients with liver cirrhosis related to hepatitis C virus. - PubMed - NCBI
"Patients with VAD (vitamin A deficiency) had significantly lower vitamin A intake and serum albumin and higher serum bilirubin, FT4, FT3, and TSH than patients with normal vitamin A status."

You are right. High blood level of something could mean it is not used by the cells and it builds up in the blood overtime.

At what dosages does Vitamin A have that effect?
I would say high doses are optimal. People used to eat a lot more vitamin A than now. 25000 IU a day is doable. If you get ill effects from such a dose then I would increase other vitamins and what not that work with vitamin A (like D). In one study 10000 to 30000 IU of vitamin A was used to exert such effects.

OP
B

brix

interesting.
been supplementing 10 drops idealabs retinil and my temp is close to 99 now.
it rarely goes above 98. added 1 drop tyromix today for the first time in a while.
I thknk you were right about the vit A.

Xisca

Just a guess but the high TSH could mean that T3 is not getting into the cell (low tissue thyroid) or it is less efficient for whatever reason.
I was thinking the same...
Let me learn to interprete.... and who tells me what is right!?
- TSH not very low: producing T hormone, I think it is T4 that is made first?
- T4 is low: lots of conversion to T3
- So T3 is high!
Indeed, high metabolism means high thyroid and not low...
@brix, retinil is supposed to be taken as 1 drop a day!

OP
B

brix

I was thinking the same...

Let me learn to interprete.... and who tells me what is right!?
- TSH not very low: producing T hormone, I think it is T4 that is made first?
- T4 is low: lots of conversion to T3
- So T3 is high!
Indeed, high metabolism means high thyroid and not low...
@brix, retinil is supposed to be taken as 1 drop a day!

not seeing where it should only be taken as 1 drop per day.

Xisca

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals