Fast Metabolism - Low Co2?

nbznj

I don't calorie count but I can safely rule out that I don't eat enough, as an example - I have a big bowl of oats every morning with fruit, for lunch I might have a large chickpea and avocado/tuna salad or a black bean chili with brown rice (big portions) and then maybe 3 jacket potatoes with fish/chicken and vegetables for tea, or a beef stew something like that.

that's way too much starch and peas, beans, and some more starch

you'll have to eat a lot more saturated fat (butter comes to mind, on sourdough bread for ex), also go work out, or any high intensity exercise. Full fat milk/dairy would be a perfect post workout food. That last post sounds like you indeed have a hormone imbalance with estrogen dominance. I'd suspect low T, poor liver metabolism, in fact there are too many things to be suspected.

Does this forum have a sticky that encompasses blood tests that should be done in order to better assess a situation? I'm thinking T, e2, prolactin, acth, cholesterol...

OP
DannyIrons™

DannyIrons™

that's way too much starch and peas, beans, and some more starch

you'll have to eat a lot more saturated fat (butter comes to mind, on sourdough bread for ex), also go work out, or any high intensity exercise. Full fat milk/dairy would be a perfect post workout food. That last post sounds like you indeed have a hormone imbalance with estrogen dominance. I'd suspect low T, poor liver metabolism, in fact there are too many things to be suspected.

Does this forum have a sticky that encompasses blood tests that should be done in order to better assess a situation? I'm thinking T, e2, prolactin, acth, cholesterol...

To be fair it was just an example, I do eat a wider range of foods - I eat a lot of ghee too for butyrate. I'm more concerned about normalising metabolism than gaining weight as the former will serve the latter.

I did T levels a few years ago and came back with - TESTOSTERONE 10.3 nmol/L . No idea if this is too low, GP said it was normal etc...

sladerunner69

This is my first time posting on this site and I'm looking for some sound advice regarding metabolism. I practice Buteyko and I can't seem to find many forums about Buteyko specifically, and a lot of Google Searches brings me to this site.

Basically I'm wondering if low CP is linked to a fast metabolism, all the focus today seems to be on slow metabolism and the obesity problem etc... I'm a 25 year old male who weights about 9 stone so very underweight - this obviously makes me feel self-conscious. I used to weight nearly 11 when I was just eating bad foods and lots of it. But now that I eat a healthy and plentiful diet my weight just dropped - I eat more than most people I know.

My morning Control Pause is about 6 seconds and I have dreadful sleep every night. I'm certain the low CP contributes to my poor sleep but I was wondering if this affects metabolism too?

Any help would be appreciated folks. Cheers.

What do you eat on a typical day, though? Ive known many guys who are underweight and when it comes down to it all of them didn't eat much at all, even after claiming they could eat anything and not gain weight. Most of them skip meals, eat small portions, eat very slowly etc.

OP
DannyIrons™

DannyIrons™

What do you eat on a typical day, though? Ive known many guys who are underweight and when it comes down to it all of them didn't eat much at all, even after claiming they could eat anything and not gain weight. Most of them skip meals, eat small portions, eat very slowly etc.

Hi sladerunner, have you read to the end of the thread?

sladerunner69

Hi sladerunner, have you read to the end of the thread?

Yes I just took a look, something about endotoxin concerns? Gut permeability issues, preventing the absorption of nutrients. That could explain being underweight, I suppose. "Leaky Gut syndrome" is something Dr Peat has discussed in a few articles of his.

Have you tried antibiotics? That could help sterilize your gut. It is probably the most effective way at purging endotoxin. Then afterward I would upkeep with a low starch diet, daily carrots and niacinimide.

OP
DannyIrons™

DannyIrons™

Thanks for your post mate - interesting you mention antibiotics, I don't come across many people these days that recommend antibiotics, from the research I've read it is a big contributor to leaky gut and dysbiotic proliferation. I've also got an extremely poor culture growth of 1+ Lactobacillus which needs improving and I'm not sure anti's will do anything but destroy these cultures. What does Peat say regarding antibiotics? I haven't had much time to read through much of Peat's work yet!

nbznj

To be fair it was just an example, I do eat a wider range of foods - I eat a lot of ghee too for butyrate. I'm more concerned about normalising metabolism than gaining weight as the former will serve the latter.

I did T levels a few years ago and came back with - TESTOSTERONE 10.3 nmol/L . No idea if this is too low, GP said it was normal etc...

10.3 is normal.... seriously GPs have ZERO clue. And I'm a pharmacist, we aren't any better by and large...

in US units, that's 300 ng/dl. You want 2 to 3 times as much. However now isn't the time to pump your testosterone artificially. It's clear your T is low because of a reason, either endotoxin, hyperthyroid, poor liver metabolism, cortisol, estrogens...

What helped me a lot (besides lifting) was reconsidering my diet approach and go for 50% fat 25% proteins 25% carbs. Butter/ghee is good but like I said full fat dairy or grass fed 85% lean ground beef would be premium. This is only a short term approach - I did it for an extended time period and my metabolism slowed down too much. 3 months of this should be great. Then try to introduce more carbs again (dextrose, lactose, fruit) reducing fat intake

Went from 6'3 145lbs to 190 over 4 years of lifting. Although within a year and a half I was already around 180. It's not that long of a process, time flyes! Now around 215 because I chose the TRT route which is giving me full satisfaction. But if your goals are more reasonable than mine then feeling better can be done naturally.

tara

Thanks for your reply, you obviously took a long time to thoughtfully write this up and I appreciate that, but I don't agree with all of this.
I am of course no expert, and even if I were, neither I nor anyone over the Internet can know enough about you to know exactly what is going on with you, and your health is your own to figure out, so no need to agree with everything I say.
But I think you might still be expressing some assumptions that don't match what look like well founded information in the area.

Getting gut health working seems like a really good idea, if you can figure than out. I'm not expert in that area. Poor digestion will rob you of needed nutrition.

But you could make the point that asking me to keep eating more food than I already am (which won't be good for digestion and the microbiome) is just treating the symptom (weight loss) and not the cause (fast metabolism).
I don't know whether eating more would be good for your personal digestion, but it does improve digestion for some people eventually, since undereating itself can cause digestion difficulties via a few mechanisms.

I've counted the calories for the past week and I've been consuming 3000-3500 a day, considering I have an office-based job sitting down for most the day, doing mild-moderate exercise after work shouldn't result in a 9-stone weight for someone my age. At the end of the day I'm not trying to bodybuild, I'm just trying to gain and sustain a moderate weight for my age and build.

My height is 5'11.
Personal needs can vary, but I think you may be underestimating normal metabolic needs of a normal healthy tall young man. Chronic undereating causes chronic energy deficit and stress, so if this is at play, it's not just a symptom, it may be a key root cause.
Or if you are actually hyperthyroid in a real way, maybe that would warrant looking at. Have you had a couple of weeks of monitoring body temps? That would give you some data to work with now, and something to monitor for future improvements too.
If you are in a situation where you need to endure prolonged nutritional poverty, that might be a situation where it might make sense to consider deliberately lowering metabolism to spare the food resource. Otherwise, it seems you may have quite a bit of catch up to do.
If you are running on chronically high stress hormones, then addressing the chronic stress would make sense.
I am currently lean, I think I run on high stress, and have low CP.

Also, eating chocolate and ice cream as you recommend is going to feed the Enterobacter Cloacae Complex that is a problematic +4 culture in my GI tract. Which is already creating a lot of immune problems for me as it is, and so is a high priority to remove.
If particular foods bother you, by all means choose other ones that bother less if you can. Dairy doesn't seem to serve me well atm either, so I only suggest those if they actually work for you. I'm not expert in the gut biome; others here may know more.

I practice an hour minimum a day and I use SleepQ+ at night for mouth closure. A sleep app I have shows that I'm still breathing heavily at night, as my CP is so low at 5-6 that my respiratory centre in the brain is resetting to hyperventilation when I'm asleep, this is definitely hindering my progress, but I'm sticking at it. I've had sleep problems for years, since childhood really, I've had bad asthma so have mouth-breathed for a long long time up until recently. I don't remember when I last had a refreshing nights sleep.
I sleep, but I get the low CP even with mouth closed too. If you haven't already, you may want to consider a couple of other tactics that made small difference for me:
- a couple of sessions with chest strap made quite a difference to reducing chest breathing in favour of diaphragm
- upping alkaline minerals. If system is too acid, I think it may promote hyperventilation to balance this, but not entirely sure I've got it straight. I think it made a difference to me.
- attending to sleeping temperature - not too hot (hyperventilate to coll down) and not too cold (burn through fuel and get stressed in night).
Your not sleeping on back?
There are others who know much more about this than me.

Have you looked into parasites? That's another way to get malnourished even when apparently eating adequately.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals