Laryngospasm

Siddha

Hi all.
A couple of weeks ago I got sick with a strong cough. Maybe bronchitis, pneumonia, I don't know. He did not go to the doctor because he would have been immediately sent to do an x-ray. I took vitamin A D E K, complex B, aspirin 1 gram. In general, at this moment we can say that there was only a slight cough, and a sore throat, but yesterday an unpleasant situation happened. After another cough, I had what seems to be laryngospasm. You lose the opportunity to breathe. Terrible thing. I turned to an otolaryngologist, he said that in his part of the throat the ligaments are good without inflammation and swelling. He referred me to a general practitioner who ordered a complete blood count and X-ray. A general blood test said that it was good, but I didn’t do an X-ray, to which I received an answer that in this case nothing else could help. This morning after coughing again there was an attack but not strong.
I'm afraid to cough or sneeze so as not to provoke an attack.
Who thinks what? Allergy histamine, mucosal irritation due to frequent coughing? Irritation of the mucosa due to coughing and acidity (fresh orange, redbull, etc.) ? Salicylates?

Last edited:

bell

Hi all.
A couple of weeks ago I got sick with a strong cough. Maybe bronchitis, pneumonia, I don't know. He did not go to the doctor because he would have been immediately sent to do an x-ray. I took vitamin A D E K, complex B, aspirin 1 gram. In general, at this moment we can say that there was only a slight cough, and a sore throat, but yesterday an unpleasant situation happened. After another cough, I had what seems to be laryngospasm. You lose the opportunity to breathe. Terrible thing. I turned to an otolaryngologist, he said that in his part of the throat the ligaments are good without inflammation and swelling. He referred me to a general practitioner who ordered a complete blood count and X-ray. A general blood test said that it was good, but I didn’t do an X-ray, to which I received an answer that in this case nothing else could help. This morning after coughing again there was an attack but not strong.
I'm afraid to cough or sneeze so as not to provoke an attack.
Who thinks what? Allergy histamine, mucosal irritation due to frequent coughing? Irritation of the mucosa due to coughing and acidity (fresh orange, redbull, etc.) ? Salicylates?
You didn’t say if you were sure it’s laryngospasm, or if it could be other kinds of throat closing like pharyngeal edema.

Personally, I found this often came up from salicylates, milk or ice cream. What helps most consistently for me is niacin + glycine.

If you want more, here some of the other potential causes I noted in my own research.

OP
S

Siddha

Hello. And thanks a lot for your help.
No, I'm not sure that this is exactly laryngospasm, but according to the description of the symptoms, it seems like it is. Laryngeal edema is a gradual progression of suffocation, as Wikipedia suggested to me, and in my case it is a sharp, strong suffocation. Moreover, the otolaryngologist examined the pharynx and did not see any inflammation or swelling.
What would you advise to find out the reason?
Do you think an allergist can help me find the cause?

OP
S

Siddha

@bell Hello. And thanks a lot for your help.
No, I'm not sure that this is exactly laryngospasm, but according to the description of the symptoms, it seems like it is. Laryngeal edema is a gradual progression of suffocation, as Wikipedia suggested to me, and in my case it is a sharp, strong suffocation. Moreover, the otolaryngologist examined the pharynx and did not see any inflammation or swelling.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
You obviously have experienced some type of inflammation whether or not it was acknowledged/recognized by the doctor. If it was acute and resolved by the appointment things could have appeared normal to the doc. What really concerns me is the fact that you felt you couldn’t breathe. It’s normal to have residual inflammation for up to 30 days after recovering from pneumonia but your situation does sound more like an allergic reaction to me. Hopefully an allergist can help you pinpoint what that might have been. There are numerous possibilities but if you are at risk for your airway swelling shut I’d personally get tested.

OP
S

Siddha

@Blossom Thanks a lot.
I have an attack only when I cough and apparently macrot gets into the respiratory tract and a spasm occurs. Of course, allergies cannot be ruled out.
I have an appointment with an allergist tomorrow.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
@Siddha, that’s good. I really hope it’s just some residual bronchospasm from your recent infection. I do think it’s a good idea to find out if you have developed some sort of allergy just to be extra cautious. I also hope you have a decent experience since I know those types of visits can often be fraught with frustration and disappointment. It’s hard to really know what is going on just by interacting online but airway issues can be potentially very serious. I’d try to always breathe through your nose if at all possible in the meantime.

bell

Hello. And thanks a lot for your help.
I asked, because I was including some studies that were beyond laryngeal spasm, and into the edema.

I can see how coughing could create a spasm. I used to go into neck spasms regularly, and it was because the muscles were too tight all the time, and then, when I added a little bit more work, they would go into spasm. I worked with a physiotherapist, and it took muscle relaxants, massage, and strengthening exercises (later in the process) to stop getting the spasms. If you've been coughing a lot, lately, that could add a similar kind of strain. I also think a lot of us have tighter throat muscles now, because we're pulling our head forward to look at phones

And yes, decent chance it could be an allergy too. It might be worth thinking through what foods you have added, or increased recently. If you have milk allergy, that could cause this, I believe. Personally, I would have some anti-histamines around, just in case you have an emergency

OP
S

Siddha

@Blossom
What do you think, in case of failure at the allergist, what could be my next step? Pulmonologist? But they don't work without x-rays, it's a vicious circle. Prescribing antibiotics for yourself without knowing the reason is also not a very good idea.
I think this is not bronchospasm, since with it there is a problem with exhalation and not inhalation, and one of the causes of laryngospasm is when food, water, vomiting, etc. can get into the respiratory tract and the body thus closes itself up. In my case, sputum gets into what leads to spasm.
But this is all my guess.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
@bell, I completely agree on the antihistamine.
@Siddha, I think you could also ask for an EpiPen just in case and hopefully never need it.
I doubt a pulmonologist would help tbh. I only mentioned bronchospasm because of the cough. You could explore things like sleeping inclined, mouth taping at night and breathing exercises as ways to optimize your breathing and keep your airway open.

OP
S

Siddha

@bell@Blossom
Yes, I have been coughing enough lately, and I also have spasms in the trapezium.
It's not milk because I didn't drink it.
Recently added goat sheep cheese, buckwheat, red bull, etc. He also took Estroban (ADEК) sublingually, orally, which could also create irritation.
That's the problem with too many changes.
Tomorrow I have an appointment with an allergist, and today I will listen to you and buy something antihistamine and take it. Thank you.

OP
S

Siddha

The pharmacist sold an antihistamine but insisted on calling an ambulance.

OP
S

Siddha

@bell I'm fine. Thank you. The allergist's consultation had to be canceled due to heavy rain. There was no more spasm. That is, the last spasm was yesterday morning, then there were no spasms until the evening, and in the evening I already took an antihistamine. And all is well. Whether the antihistamine helped or if I just started getting better, I don't know.
I obviously had either pneumonia or bronchitis, but I never treated anything. Are there any antibiotics with the help of which I could finish my bronchitis, cough?

bell

@bell I'm fine. Thank you. The allergist's consultation had to be canceled due to heavy rain. There was no more spasm. That is, the last spasm was yesterday morning, then there were no spasms until the evening, and in the evening I already took an antihistamine. And all is well. Whether the antihistamine helped or if I just started getting better, I don't know.
I obviously had either pneumonia or bronchitis, but I never treated anything. Are there any antibiotics with the help of which I could finish my bronchitis, cough?
That sounds like you're going in the right direction, I hope it keeps improving. IDK how to improve the cough, other than trying to avoid excess coughing

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals