Some thoughts on living in South America

Birdie

Another email from Patagonia buddy:

I bought about 600 acres of forest with about a mile of river frontage for about $75k. But 25 yrs ago, tho. No property tax, no income tax, no city services tax, no water bill, no electric bill, no sewage bill, no insurance. Nuthin'. Just live and let live... build anything you want anywhere you want with no permits or zoning...

OP
Herbie

Herbie

I bought about 600 acres of forest with about a mile of river frontage for about $75k. But 25 yrs ago, tho. No property tax, no income tax, no city services tax, no water bill, no electric bill, no sewage bill, no insurance. Nuthin'. Just live and let live... build anything you want anywhere you want with no permits or zoning...
I have watched this twice at different times, it’s quite good and relevant.

View: https://youtu.be/JZFp8ldcTx4

Birdie

I have watched this twice at different times, it’s quite good and relevant.

View: https://youtu.be/JZFp8ldcTx4

That's pretty interesting. I think that Mark has some similarity but ended up with people all around him. He is in Argentina but still Patagonia. Did you listen to the other episodes of this? I think you have to join to see the other parts. Is this guy still alive and still there?

OP
Herbie

Herbie

That's pretty interesting. I think that Mark has some similarity but ended up with people all around him. He is in Argentina but still Patagonia. Did you listen to the other episodes of this? I think you have to join to see the other parts. Is this guy still alive and still there?
All 4 parts are on YouTube. I’m not sure if he is or not.

OP
Herbie

Herbie

I since learnt that Mexico shouldn’t be lumped into South America.

I look more into Mexico.

What I found is that if one does a 120 hour online Tesol course, they can teach English as a job in Mexico. No bachelor degree required. This gives one a visa to live and work in Mexico. The Pay is $500-$1500 USD per month but can also teach private English lessons for $7 per hour which is ok for Mexico’s cost of living.

Currently their are no quarantine or vax mandates for arrivals into Mexico

OccamzRazer

Thanks for all this info Birdie!

Is mandatory vaccination an issue in your friend's area?

Inaut

Are you still?
Yes but it has become a very close 2nd to Sao Miguel in the Azores... I think both are my best options at the moment. Benefit of buying something in the Azores is opportunity for 2nd (or third for some people) passport. Volcanoes are a concern about Azores .

Birdie

Yes but it has become a very close 2nd to Sao Miguel in the Azores... I think both are my best options at the moment. Benefit of buying something in the Azores is opportunity for 2nd (or third for some people) passport. Volcanoes are a concern about Azores .
Thanks. Volcanoes yes are a concern... I'm thinking of Belize now.

Logan-

Birdie

So far here's what I've found by doing a Belize search: