Partner Has Had Persistent Daily Cough For 2 MONTHS Now

Koveras

Does Ray Peat still do paid phone consultations? I would be willing to pay for help at this point.

Partner has had a cough for 2+ months now. The cough has been dry with no phlegm or mucus whatsoever.

Chest X-Ray (x-rays are bad, I know) revealed pneumonia which was cleared up in less than a week of Augmentin(Amoxicillin+Clavulanic Acid). Infection was confirmed cleared up by another X-Ray.

Maybe 2 hours after taking the x-ray my partner took 1600mg of Vit E, 200mg of Vit C and sleeping with red light shining on chest overnight.

Things we tried BEFORE the pneumonia diagnosis:
-Honey
-Aspirin
-1000 mg Niacinamide (he broke out in hives from head to toe)
-Vick’s Vapo Rub
-Essential oil diffuser
-Vit E
-Lots of milk and egg yolks
-Vit E
-Thianine (200mg)
-Neti Pot
-Rinsing with salt water and/or listerine
-Caffeine/large amounts of coffee and green tea

He also took Singulair after being diagnosed. He was also prescribed Tessalon pearls but did not take this because the side effects seem severe and likely even in small doses.

He still has a cough and it is not getting worse, but not getting better.

Interestingly, he had a period of maybe 2-3 hours without coughing until he eiaculated and then started coughing.

Does Prolactin have any effect on lung function?

The doctor in the ER said although the pneumonia is cleared up, there will be residual inflammation within the lungs which is responsible for the cough. That made a lot of sense actually, but if that is the case the inflammation should not last this long.

Ray speaks about the majority of health issues in the modern world relating to excess reductive stress, which is very likely true, but as with anything it is possible to go too far in the opposite direction and get out of balance.

Believe the innervation for the esophagus is primarily parasympathetic and functions such as appropriate mucous production depend on acetylcholine production.

When the balance of the nervous system shifts towards the sympathetic, more often associated with oxidative processes, the mucous production tends to dry up. Sympathetic agonist drugs such as beta agonists are used for this purpose - to clear mucous and open the airways.

Excess mucous is annoying, but mucous in generally forms a protective barrier around the tissues and helps to clear pathogens and debris. Excessively dry tissue exposes those cells to pathogens and damage more readily, necessitates a stronger immune response, and requires more nutrients for the repair of cells as well as the proliferation and differentiation of new cells.

Prostaglandins stimulate the production the mucous, so aspirin can be counterproductive if mucous production is excessively low to begin with. This may be especially true for someone who has been following a diet with a very low content of unsaturated fats for an extended period of time.

B3/niacin/niacinamide & caffeine will tend to stimulate oxidative processes and can aggravate things.

After orgasm, parasympathetic processes are stimulated and acetylcholine is involved in the release of prolactin, opioids/endorphins, vasopressin and some related hormones. In theory this stimulation could divert and strain resources if the nutrients needed for acetylcholine production are already in short supply.

There are many nutrients involved including choline, vitamin A (for both mucous & lung surfactant), protein, zinc, B1, B2, B5, B6, B7, B9, B12, magnesium, etc.

Last edited:
OP
SOMO

SOMO

Ray speaks about the majority of health issues in the modern world relating to excess reductive stress, which is very likely true, but as with anything it is possible to go too far in the opposite direction and get out of balance.

Believe the innervation for the esophagus is primarily parasympathetic and functions such as appropriate mucous production depend on acetylcholine production.

When the balance of the nervous system shifts towards the sympathetic, more often associated with oxidative processes, the mucous production tends to dry up. Sympathetic agonist drugs such as beta agonists are used for this purpose - to clear mucous and open the airways.

Excess mucous is annoying, but mucous in generally forms a protective barrier around the tissues and helps to clear pathogens and debris. Excessively dry tissue exposes those cells to pathogens and damage more readily, necessitates a stronger immune response, and requires more nutrients for the repair of cells as well as the proliferation and differentiation of new cells.

Prostaglandins stimulate the production the mucous, so aspirin can be counterproductive if mucous production is excessively low to begin with. This may be especially true for someone who has been following a diet with a very low content of unsaturated fats for an extended period of time.

B3/niacin/niacinamide & caffeine will tend to stimulate oxidative processes and can aggravate things.

After orgasm, parasympathetic processes are stimulated and acetylcholine is involved in the release of prolactin, opioids/endorphins, vasopressin and some related hormones. In theory this stimulation could divert and strain resources if the nutrients needed for acetylcholine production are already in short supply.

There are many nutrients involved including choline, vitamin A (for both mucous & lung surfactant), protein, zinc, B1, B2, B5, B6, B7, B9, B12, magnesium, etc.

It's unlikely it's a nutrient deficiency. He consumes liver once a week and raw egg yolks every few days.

Also he has no mucus. It's a persistent dry cough.

It also gets worse at night. He has also taken Beta Agonists and those didn't help - Albuterol, Umeclidinium (it's Brominated and therefore bad for thyroid, so only a few times, in either case it didn't work), and he's also taken Phenethylamine which RP recommended.

Rivka

Red light on front and back of chest (lung area) for 10-20min morning and night may be beneficial

RobertJM

Every year I seem to get a cough that can go on for a month or two. You get really sick of it after a while but it always eventually goes. Unfortunately we’ve had some real bad things going around the previous few years in the U.K. And having already failed on my Peat journey (yes I am one of the car crashes), it really doesn’t surprise me that I get sick every year now. But a two month cough wouldn’t have me worried. Unless it was accompanied by other worrying symptoms (chest pains, weird feeling/physical sensations, etc).

griesburner

did he got checked for whooping cough? a year ago i had a cough that lasted waaay longer than usual and it turned out that it was the whooping cough. i didnt got any treatment and it wasnt very dangerous but it was extremly long lasting and nothing helped except time. it lasted over 3 months but after that it was suddenly completly gone. everyone always thinks that its only a child disease but over the last few years their was an epidemic of adults who got it, too.

nwo2012

did he got checked for whooping cough? a year ago i had a cough that lasted waaay longer than usual and it turned out that it was the whooping cough. i didnt got any treatment and it wasnt very dangerous but it was extremly long lasting and nothing helped except time. it lasted over 3 months but after that it was suddenly completly gone. everyone always thinks that its only a child disease but over the last few years their was an epidemic of adults who got it, too.

You can thank vaccines for that one. How about looking into the whole clamidia pneumoniae subject since it is supposedly linked to autoimmunity (lupus symptoms he has).
Worth a shot.......

tallglass13

try a sodium bicarbonate mixed with purified water, put in a spray bottle, and inhale the mist. the lungs may have a fungal infection. this will cure that.

X3CyO

You guys wouldn't happen to be using fans in your house would you?

Like clockwork every 6 months or so if I don't clean my fans I develop a dry cough just like that due to the amount of dust and hair and stuff that gets picked up and sticks to the top of them; especially if its a small room. If its a humid place you might even get mold growing up there.

Koveras

It's unlikely it's a nutrient deficiency. He consumes liver once a week and raw egg yolks every few days.

Also he has no mucus. It's a persistent dry cough.

It also gets worse at night. He has also taken Beta Agonists and those didn't help - Albuterol, Umeclidinium (it's Brominated and therefore bad for thyroid, so only a few times, in either case it didn't work), and he's also taken Phenethylamine which RP recommended.

Some of my points may have been misunderstood...

I was suggesting that mucous was important and that some of the things that have been tried (like beta agonists) would have been counter-productive by decreasing mucous production further.

The idea that nutrient deficiencies are unlikely because “he eats liver once a week and raw egg yolks every few days” while at the same time he “can’t afford to lose any more weight”, “is extremely low BF%”, “his diet is kind of bland” and he “eats very little” is interesting.

Maybe it’s not something complicated.

Maybe he doesn’t get enough calories and nutrients.

OP
SOMO

SOMO

Cough is finally over.

To anyone curious, I think what helped was AZITHROMYCIN.
1 day after taking the Azithromycin the cough subsided almost entirely, and he took a 3 day course, 500mg daily.

He took Augmentin and Metronidazole neither of which helped, but Azithromycin also specifically destroys MYCOPLASMA, which the pulmonologist believed he had.

In addition, he took NAC to lessen any liver burden from the Azithromycin itself and endotoxin that might be released when the Mycoplasma is released.

I think there was a minor added benefit from MEGA-dosing Methylene Blue, Sunlight (it became sunny in NYC towards the end of his cough so I made him sunbathe for an hour daily.)

Caffeine, green tea and theophylline did not help at all surprisingly, even though they are known to help respiratory issues.

tastyfood

Albuterol being brominated means that it decreases the effectiveness of thyroid medication right? Or is it bad for thyroid regardless of the interactions with thyroid supplementation?

Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom