Kidney Stones

Dean

taking potassium citrate for a short time helps dissipate or make kidney stones easier to pass.

Strongbad

Thanks, everyone! I guess I have to pummel through it for the time being. Only started Ray Peat thing about 5 weeks ago, so 3-4 months are still ways to go. This 2 steps forward-1 step back takes a lot of work it's almost a full time job :lol:

This heavy-liquid diet might have something to do with the lower right abdomen, I'm not sure. Whenever I encounter new symptoms like this, I can't help but think of all the worse things that could happen (half glass empty, i know :mrgreen: ). Enlarged liver, tumor, destroyed intestines, kidney stones who knows :?

Dean

lower right would more likely be liver issues, kidney pain (stones) would be felt in the lower back, right or left. Is it pain or discomfort? I often feel a discomfort, almost a pinching sensation, in my liver area, which I take as it struggling or being sluggish in handling things/detox, etc.

Peata

Strongbad said:
Sometimes I wonder if going Peaty diet causes more problems than solutions :( I never thought having OJ and milk will cause kidney stones! Like sometimes now I feel a slight pain in my lower right abdomen. I don't know what it is but never had this issue when I was doing low carb diet. Then I found out that caffeine induces more jittery, adrenaline and prolactin on me since discovering that I'm hypo today. Then baking soda made me feel bloated so I had to reduce the intake.

So much contradicting info :? Things that are good in Peatians diet don't necessarily work well for me. Maybe being a hypo is an exception in this diet. Frustrated

I have had that thought more than once. I have experimented on myself a lot, and at times felt I was improving in one area to be brought down in another. Sort of trying to put out fires here and there. But someone mentioned improving one area can help others get stronger too. My problem was getting any kind of lasting improvement. I think I wasn't supporting myself nutritionally enough. My cronometer nutrients were usually covered fine, but I think some of the macros were wrong for me at the time.

It's only in the last couple weeks I've felt a real breakthrough. Since cutting out grain and starch, especially in the evening, I've slept so well without waking to adrenaline. And have more energy and better mood. Of course I notice even more on the sunny days.

I guess what I'm saying is, maybe the supplements aren't as important at the moment as getting the foundation strong - foods and amounts. But I'm not one to follow since I can't resist using some supplements. I currently take A (on skin), Bs including extra B1, D, E, Magnesium, 2 mg. Cyproheptadine, K2 and occasional aspirin. Progest E half the month. Some salt or baking soda if I feel I need it.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Peata, are you still doing the Pepcid?

Peata

Charlie said:

I used it 1 x day for 8 days but decided to shelve that one for now since my glycogen seems OK through the night. And since some of its effects *may* overlap with some of what cypro does, I am just taking the cypro for now.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Kewl beans. Thank you. :hattip

Peata

I also wanted to add to my post above that at times I've felt like I had less issues when I left things alone and ate whatever before RP, but then I remember that wasn't the case.

I was heading into some bad health issues even eating ways I thought were supposed to be so healthy - different woe's I used at different times include: perricone, intermittent fasting, low carb, mostly raw, low fat, or "mediterranean". I had fatty liver, gallbladder issues, thought I was coming down with chronic fatigue, had worsening pms that was starting to last for weeks, acne, and more. It took a lot of time and trial and error for me - frustrating as I mentioned above.

But I can now say that most of those issues have now resolved.

tara

Strongbad said:
This heavy-liquid diet might have something to do with the lower right abdomen, I'm not sure. Whenever I encounter new symptoms like this, I can't help but think of all the worse things that could happen (half glass empty, i know :mrgreen: ). Enlarged liver, tumor, destroyed intestines, kidney stones who knows :?

Not to dismiss the possibility of serious issues, but for the sake of a perspective that includes more benign possibilities :) , over the years I've had some severe pains in various parts of the abdomen. I think all or almost all of them were probably just trapped gas. Once I worked that out, half a cup of warm water and a deliberate attempt to lie on my back somewhere warm and relax for 15 mins usually fixed them. I get a lot less gas since doing more Peating, so I haven't had this problem for a while.

Strongbad

Well, that's certainly a comforting possibility :D Much better than kidney stones or possible tumor. Well, it's not exactly painful but more like a mild pinch. Hopefully it's only liver being (not too) hard at work. It's been over a month ago that I drank water :mrgreen: it'll be nice to have it once in a while even after all OJ and milk I've been having. And maybe substitute carrots with mushrooms maybe that's why there's some gas trapped in intestines.

Peata

Charlie said:

I learned I have mild chronic gastritis and some inflammation in the duodenum. My doctor suggested I take 20 mg. pepcid. I'll start back on it today. Just wanted to follow up with you since you asked.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Peata, would be interested to know if sleep improves even more.

Peata

Charlie said:
Peata, would be interested to know if sleep improves even more.

Sleep is quite good right now, but I was pondering if taking it a.m. and p.m. (instead of just 1 x day like I did before) would help my glycogen in the daytime too, allowing me to go longer between meals. As it is, I can only go a couple hours and I get hungry again. I'll see what happens.

tara

Just came across this in recent interview transcript:

"Caller: Well, that's good to know. I'll just have to tell him he's got to ask his Dr, he says he's been tested for diabetes and he doesn't have it but you know, it's unhealthy what he's doing, pouring sugar into coffee and I don't know if that's to irritate me or you know, I don't know, but he doesn't care, and he thinks it's cool. And then still he's had kidney stones, aren't those influenced by sugar?

RP: Um, no I don't think so, only in the negative sense. When you aren't eating enough minerals and for example if you let the sugars displace sources of calcium and magnesium and protein, then you do tend to form stones. The parathyroid hormone and other inflammatory things tend to create mineralisation of soft tissues and formation of stones in the kidneys, bladder and gallbladder. "

viewtopic.php?f=73&t=5559

Collden

Bumping this thread, lot of people link bag breathing to kidney stone issues. Does this imply that extended mask wearing could also increase stone formation since they increase CO2?

Never had major issues with stones before but passed what felt like a big one last week. At the time I thought it was linked to starting on thyroid supplement, but its also around that time I started wearing a mask for about 8hrs a day for work.

Last edited:

Motif

A lot of sugar requires a higher fluid intake ? Is this right ? Never heard this before.

Kidney stones - couldnt it be a mechanical issue /cause too? Like not moving enough or from tensions in that kidney area ?

catan

Bumping this thread because I have pain that I think is from kidney stones. First bout of acute pain was last night, I considered going to the ER. At the end ibuprofen helped me sleep, and this morning no pain at all... but now during the day occasional twinges and spasms. Would like to hear about what others' experiences are-- how did you manage pain? How was waiting for stones to pass?. How long does it take? What have you tried? Are the stones obvious?

I got some chanca piedra today to try.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals