Is this Iron Overload?

haidut

Forum Supporter
bornamachine said:
post 101766
haidut said:
post 101709
Lucas said:
post 101704 Can iron overload causes low body temperature/low metabolism, with hypothyroidism symptoms? What is the mechanism that this happens?

Iron and copper are kind of antagonistic. In general high iron would mean low copper and thus suboptimal function of cytochrome C oxidase, which means metabolism is in the drain. High iron also is toxic to the liver that would further impair the conversion of T4 into T3. I think high iron also stimulates NOS, so this would mean high levels of NO, which cause hypoxia and all kinds of other nasty stuff.
I am sure there are other mechanisms but these are some of the main ones I can think about.

Thanks for the follow up Haidut, hypoxia is no joke from even a low overload, I used to suffocate with windows wide open. From irondisorders.org, they say 25-75 is the ideal maintnance range for males and females with saturation not over 35%. I also read that unbound iron will directly impact the thyroid as well as all other organs. OP, from my own expereince , if you are over 100, donate.

Haidut, how do you know so much about iron and its systematic effects sucj as hypoxia and such?

Discussions/arguments with forum member gbolduev made me do some research and experiment on myself. Oxygenation and hypoxia are central to Peat's ideas so I read a lot about that. As an example, PUFA make you severely hypoxic and raise pretty much all inflammatory markers. The interaction of PUFA and iron is the cause of liver disease, neurological disorders, and virtually all cancers. Since PUFA is kind of hard to avoid and takes a long time to deplete, the lower hanging fruit is iron, so I worked on that first and learned a bit in the process. With low iron, PUFA is a lot less dangerous.

Last edited by a moderator:

bornamachine

haidut said:
haidut said:
post 101825 Discussions/arguments with forum member gbolduev made me do some research and experiment on myself. Oxygenation and hypoxia are central to Peat's ideas so I read a lot about that. As an example, PUFA make you severely hypoxic and raise pretty much all inflammatory markers. The interaction of PUFA and iron is the cause of liver disease, neurological disorders, and virtually all cancers. Since PUFA is kind of hard to avoid and takes a long time to deplete, the lower hanging fruit is iron, so I worked on that first and learned a bit in the process. With low iron, PUFA is a lot less dangerous.

Well put, thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:

Judd Crane

If ferritin is normal is that enough to rule out iron overload or need other markers be taken into consideration?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals