Is this Iron Overload?

Lucas

Did a blood test and get this results:
Transferrin : 196 mg/dl Ref: 215-365 mg/dl
Serum Iron: 110 ug/dl Ref: 65 – 175 ug/dl
Ferritin: 313 ng/ml Ref: 22 – 322 ng/ml
C- protein : 85 % Ref: 70 - 150%
So, high ferritin whit low transferrin, is this possible?

Is this Inflammation or iron overload?
I had fatigue and joint pain.
Thank’s

Mittir

What is your Transferrin Saturation index? RP has mentioned that Ferritin
can be high in hypothyroid people and it is a more stable/safe form of iron storage.

bornamachine

That IS high. What was your saturation?

haidut

Forum Supporter
Lucas said:
Did a blood test and get this results:
Transferrin : 196 mg/dl Ref: 215-365 mg/dl
Serum Iron: 110 ug/dl Ref: 65 – 175 ug/dl
Ferritin: 313 ng/ml Ref: 22 – 322 ng/ml
C- protein : 85 % Ref: 70 - 150%
So, high ferritin whit low transferrin, is this possible?

Is this Inflammation or iron overload?
I had fatigue and joint pain.
Thank’s

No need to get iron saturation as transferrin and ferritin alone give a good idea of where you stand. High ferritin and low transferrin IS iron overload. If you have liver enzyme tests, divide the ferritin by the value for AST and you get an idea of iron amounts in the liver. If the ratio is approaching or over 17 this means liver iron is high, which is not desirable.

OP
L

Lucas

Hello.
Thanks’ everyone for the help.
My liver enzymes in this blood test were:
AST: 22 U/L Ref: to 34 U/L
ALT: 21 U/L Ref: to 49 U/L
GGT: 13 U/L Ref: to 73 U/L
So, 313 of ferritin divided from the AST of 22, the result is 14,22, so no liver iron problem?
For the record, NDT don’t work for me, every time I take it I get hyper fast, whit to much t3 on my blood.
Maybe the high iron is blocking the conversion from t4 to t3 building reverse t3?
I am taking IP6 for iron chelation now. Will take it for one month and do a new ferritin test, want to lower it to 50.
My problem is low body temperature, fatigue and joint pain and stiffness, I weight around 75 kg, but I move my body like it is more than 100 kg, I fell my body heavy.

bornamachine

OP, what is your regiment for taking ip6 (dose, timing, etc) and will you retest after a month?

OP
L

Lucas

I take 500 mg of ip6 in the morning 1 hour before breakfast and at evening more 500 mg 2 hour before dinner. Will retest after a month of doing this regime. Goal is to lower ferritin to 50 level to see if is this that is blocking my thyroid to work optimally.

OP
L

Lucas

At 15 pm today, my armpit temperature was 36.4 Celsius with a pulse rate of 85 bpm. I fell very tired; I think I will take a nap.

bornamachine

Lucas, what is your age and gender, what led you to ip6 vs blood donation? Ive contemplated using ip6 but went with donations, have done 6 so far.

OP
L

Lucas

Hello.
Male, 37 years old, 1m76cm height, 75 kg.
I had low blood pressure, so I faint when taking blood for lab tests, imagine in a blood donation :cry: , so I am using Ip6 instead.

bornamachine

Lucas said:
post 101483 Hello.
Male, 37 years old, 1m76cm height, 75 kg.
I had low blood pressure, so I faint when taking blood for lab tests, imagine in a blood donation :cry: , so I am using Ip6 instead.

What is your BP? You actually faint from the little amount drawn in the lab? Do you suppose you are tinkering on low blood supply at all times or is it a schycological thing?

Last edited by a moderator:

haidut

Forum Supporter
Lucas said:
post 101296 Hello.
So, 313 of ferritin divided from the AST of 22, the result is 14,22, so no liver iron problem?
For the record, NDT don’t work for me, every time I take it I get hyper fast, whit to much t3 on my blood.
Maybe the high iron is blocking the conversion from t4 to t3 building reverse t3?
I am taking IP6 for iron chelation now. Will take it for one month and do a new ferritin test, want to lower it to 50.
My problem is low body temperature, fatigue and joint pain and stiffness, I weight around 75 kg, but I move my body like it is more than 100 kg, I fell my body heavy.

It's not iron overload yet, but it's close. I would try to get ferritin lower, and in the meantime avoid high iron foods like red meat and black olives.

bornamachine

Haidu
haidut said:
post 101640
Lucas said:
post 101296 Hello.

It's not iron overload yet, but it's close. I would try to get ferritin lower, and in the meantime avoid high iron foods like red meat and black olives.

How do you base your answer?

haidut

Forum Supporter
bornamachine said:
post 101680 Haidu
haidut said:
post 101640
Lucas said:
post 101296 Hello.

How do you base your answer?

The ferritin/AST ratio is above 10. It is below 17 so no toxicity yet, but a ratio of over 10 seems to indicate well above average hepatic iron stores.

OP
L

Lucas

Can iron overload causes low body temperature/low metabolism, with hypothyroidism symptoms? What is the mechanism that this happens?

haidut

Forum Supporter
Lucas said:
post 101704 Can iron overload causes low body temperature/low metabolism, with hypothyroidism symptoms? What is the mechanism that this happens?

Iron and copper are kind of antagonistic. In general high iron would mean low copper and thus suboptimal function of cytochrome C oxidase, which means metabolism is in the drain. High iron also is toxic to the liver that would further impair the conversion of T4 into T3. I think high iron also stimulates NOS, so this would mean high levels of NO, which cause hypoxia and all kinds of other nasty stuff.
I am sure there are other mechanisms but these are some of the main ones I can think about.

J

James IV

Since you will likely need plenty of starch to fix your metabolism in your situation; Make sure you are not eating fortified foods (enriched flour). Those will get you in trouble way more than meat and iron heavy plants.

OP
L

Lucas

Copper results on this same blood test:
89,70 ug/dl Ref: 70 – 140 ug/dl
Also, my Zinc results were:
138 ug/dl Ref: 72,6 – 127 ug/dl
So, I have Zinc in excess and low copper. This means/implicates something?

bornamachine

haidut said:
post 101709
Lucas said:
post 101704 Can iron overload causes low body temperature/low metabolism, with hypothyroidism symptoms? What is the mechanism that this happens?

Iron and copper are kind of antagonistic. In general high iron would mean low copper and thus suboptimal function of cytochrome C oxidase, which means metabolism is in the drain. High iron also is toxic to the liver that would further impair the conversion of T4 into T3. I think high iron also stimulates NOS, so this would mean high levels of NO, which cause hypoxia and all kinds of other nasty stuff.
I am sure there are other mechanisms but these are some of the main ones I can think about.

Thanks for the follow up Haidut, hypoxia is no joke from even a low overload, I used to suffocate with windows wide open. From irondisorders.org, they say 25-75 is the ideal maintnance range for males and females with saturation not over 35%. I also read that unbound iron will directly impact the thyroid as well as all other organs. OP, from my own expereince , if you are over 100, donate.

Haidut, how do you know so much about iron and its systematic effects sucj as hypoxia and such?

haidut

Forum Supporter
Lucas said:
post 101734 Copper results on this same blood test:
89,70 ug/dl Ref: 70 – 140 ug/dl
Also, my Zinc results were:
138 ug/dl Ref: 72,6 – 127 ug/dl
So, I have Zinc in excess and low copper. This means/implicates something?

It means you have low copper and high iron, which matches with what I said in my earlier post. With ferritin levels that high I'd donate or ask the doctor for a chelator.