Cilantro Works! Finally Reduced My Ferritin, Serum Iron And Transferrin Saturation!

managing

Andy Cutler advises against cilantro as the sulfur compounds only possess a single sulfhydryl group. He said they bind weaker and tend to redistribute metals rather than chelating them like DMSA would. DMSA has two sulfhydryl groups flanking a carbon chain which in the presence of mercury, rotate about their axes and form a mercuric-DMSA complex that is very hard to undo.
Its a valid concern. But I think unwarranted. If you are ingesting cilantro with your food, its main function is simply to bind the iron in the food you've eaten. Given how high our diets typically are, I would expect this to have an effect over time. Bile also secretes iron and other earth metals. Its unlikely that a mono or polysulfhydryl would be very effective in disrupting the transport and readsorption of these metals. But it could effectively reduce or eliminate the adsorption of the dietary, ie nto bound to bile acids, iron.

Coriander/cilantro also stimulates bile production. At least it does when taken by itself. This effect ought ot be less when taken with food. Still, an increase in bile production will, slowly, over time, lower iron. This is because not all of the iron secreted by the bile is readsorbed. I believe its somewhere around 90%. In fact, this is the critical formula. You generally don't want your dietary intake to exceed your "iron wasting" rate resulting from inefficiency of bile iron readsoption.

If you were selecting an IV chelator, I think the sulfhydryl issue would be reasonable. But there just aren't forces in our intestines that are going to break a lot of sulfhydryl bonds. And even if they did, you'd be no worse off because you would just be adsorbing dietary sources that you would have adsorbed anyway w/o cilantro.

managing

The powered seeds.
In the US, this is labeled coriander and is on the spice aisle in every supermarket. I recall reading somewhere that both the seeds and leaves are equally effective at adsorbing iron.

moringa

Finally I found something that reduces iron. My ferritin was 231 in the end of august, and now is 169 ng/ml!!

Serum iron was 110 ug/dl, and now is 60 ug/dl!! It is close to deficiency, since the reference range is 59 – 159 ug/dl.

Transferrin Saturation was 40%, and now is 20,7 % !! Whooo!!

What I did? Simple. 1 teaspoon of powdered Cilantro on breakfast, and 1 tablespoon at lunch and dinner, this added to the food, since I like the taste of it.

Now I will keep doing it until I reach a ferritin of 50 ng/ml. My only concern is the lower serum iron, don’t know what this mean.

So, this is my testimonial, I hope this is informative for people that have high iron to try Cilantro.

Lucas, why only 1 tsp with breakfast and 1 tblsp. with lunch and dinner? Why the smaller dose with breakfast? Thank you

OP
L

Lucas

Just because i eat less at breakfast than lunch and dinner:D

Luann

Someone really needs to answer this "does cilantro iron you in yous brain??!" question once and for all time.

moringa

Just because i eat less at breakfast than lunch and dinner:D
so you ate the dry powdered cilantro seeds and NOT the dry powdered cilantro plant/leaves?

did you notice any health changes from the iron and ferritin reduction?

moringa

I have tried (combined) both Andy Cutler's DMSA/ALA and Dr. Chris Shade's silica powder (some proprietary di-thiol compound which stinks of garlic) which binds metals that are excreted in the bile, preventing them from being reabsorbed into enterohepatic circulation. My brief experiment with charcoal informed me just how good you feel when the burden on your gut (and thus liver) is alleviated. I didn't test my urine because according to Dr. Shade inorganic mercury and organic mercury vary in their concentration depending on tissue type, and most regular pathologies don't possess the appropriate assays that are sensitive enough to determine this. Even if it came up negative, I wouldn't believe it. In his practice he measures the ratio of urine, blood and hair mercury to determine your source of poisoning and which form mercury you are most burdened with. Andy Cutler's protocol involves consecutive rounds of chelation (3 days on 4 days off = 1 round) anywhere from 3 months to 4 years. Cutler has said that no other metal is better at disrupting mineral utilization and metabolism in humans than mercury.

@mujuro could you lease describe your charcoal experiment? Like how much per dose, how many doses per day, timing of dose(s) in relation to meals, for how many days?

Waynish

Did it taste bad? Some people like it, but I wonder what hating the taste is an indicator of...

Ticcy-Toby

Well below are a few nutritional facts;

This humble backyard herb provides (% of RDA/100g):
15% of folates,
11% of vitamin B-6 (pyridoxine),
45% of vitamin C,
225% of vitamin A,
258% of vitamin K,
22% of iron and
18% of manganese.

Nice

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals