Is Raw Sea Kelp Possible To Find?

DMF

I'd like to consume sea kelp as it is naturally but I don't live in Japan, don't want it in pills.
What choices are there?

Elie

Forum Supporter
what do you mean by raw? Kelp is available in all coastal areas.. Any kelp powder supplement should be fine and I've seen bagged dry kelp in health stores.

GTW

Kelp or other seaweed? Dulse, wakame, hijiki are delicious. Nori used to wrap sushi is toasted but most others are not.

OP
D

DMF

Raw kelp would seem to be the best source of iodine.
I can't make out what reliable bottled forms are available.

OP
D

DMF

what do you mean by raw? Kelp is available in all coastal areas.. Any kelp powder supplement should be fine and I've seen bagged dry kelp in health stores.
What powdered brands do you recommend?

GTW

Kelp is generally the cheapest seaweed. However, in addition to Iodine, seaweed is also a significant but variable source of cadmium, mercury, lead, arsenic, all undesirable. Below an approximate level selenium is good.
>Iodine levels in seaweed seems to be affected by a number of factors such as geographical origin, environment (season, salinity of the water, etc.) but also the part of the seaweed used, age of the seaweed and post‐harvest storage conditions among others (Teas et al., 2004). Overall, mean levels of iodine were highest in brown algae as compared to red and green alga. The highest mean concentrations were reported for dried Kombu (3,529 mg/kg, LB=UB). Several brown algae with food applications are well known for being rich sources of iodine, in particular in the Laminaria and Saccharina genus (e.g. Kombu, Sugar kelp), with iodine levels that can go, in certain occasions, above 10,000 mg/kg dw (Duinker et al., 2016; Duinker et al., 2020; Aakre et al., 2021; Blikra et al., 2022). To also mention the relatively low mean levels of iodine reported in dried samples of the red alga Laver (84.8–85.1 mg/kg, LB–UB), the most reported alga in the EFSA Comprehensive Database, typically consumed as sushi and part of other Japanese dishes. The relatively high values reported for ‘Algae based formulations (e.g., Spirulina, Chlorella)’ seem an indication that several samples contain specific brown alga species rich in iodine since Spirulina and Chlorella, two typical algae used as food supplement, are well known to contain much lower or almost no iodine at all. Very limited data on iodine were available for halophytes (n = 3); much lower iodine levels were reported as compared to seaweeds.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals